Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

TJJohn12

That thread is atrocious, it's the same 4-5 people constantly competing to see who can whine more.

I loved where someone asked "where did all the positive people go?", As if any sane individual would want to expose themselves to that toxic of an environment on a regular basis.

I am extremely excited for SW:GE to open at MGM. But I also won’t be visiting WDW again until 2021, so my personal input isn’t much more than, “I love Star Wars. I love TLJ. Can’t wait!”

That said, I for one would love to hear @Chomama ‘s broader take on the DL version of the land, as they’re nearly identical.

Chomama

I am extremely excited for SW:GE to open at MGM. But I also won’t be visiting WDW again until 2021, so my personal input isn’t much more than, “I love Star Wars. I love TLJ. Can’t wait!”

That said, I for one would love to hear @Chomama ‘s broader take on the DL version of the land, as they’re nearly identical.
So I guess one person is interested :). I’ll give it to you! ;)
Walking into the land was exciting. Of course we were moving quickly because there were thousands of people rushing around us. We were able to stop for photos with MF before queuing up.
The queue for the ride is great. Lots to look at.
Ok- once we entered Hondo room we were lost. That guy is very hard to understand and if you have no idea about the ride beforehand (we have purposefully avoided spoilers and reviews) it’s unclear why you are there. Kids around us were completely lost and I kept asking my husband what Hondo was saying. What’s with the exaggerated accent? Just complicates things.
The ride - the cockpit is awesome. The idea is fun. Again we didn’t understand the mission so we just pushed a bunch of buttons 🤷🏼‍♀️

We wandered around galaxys edge for a bit after.
Food - excellent. Tried RR and DB. Nothing food wise disappointed. All the specialty
Drinks are way to sweet. Tossed after two
Sips.
Did not try milks because waiting for the kiddos

Shops/vendors
Fun to loom
Around but because signs are all in Batuu language or whatever that is we didn’t know what we were looking at. The immersion is taken so far its confusing

Aesthetics - incredible detail especially at night. Lots of detail and worth time poking around

Merch - got the coin gift cards for the kids. The toy store could have paid at least an homage to the old characters but nada.
Random pet shop. Felt very copy cat of Harry Potter except those pets are very involved in the stories

Atmosphere- meh. Chewbacca was the highlight. They could use an imperial march and about 20 more troopers and some aliens/droids. Rey was out once. We went three times in two days and never saw Kylo.
Why is there no one from the actual
World of SW? That makes no
Sense even if they aren’t specific characters we know. Like who lives on batuu? Apparently Hondo, ronto and Chewbacca? How sad for
Them.

Ogas- waaaay too sweet. Service awful. No immersion. Fro
Check in to bill pay we were ready to go. They could have done way more here. Snacks were fun. And by bad service I don’t mean in character. I mean we had 45 min limit and didn’t see server until 20 mins in and said we could only have 2 drinks in our allotted time is we found her again. We didn’t. Very crowded. No immersion. So strange really

We didn’t do saber or droids but peeked on droid factory. Looks cool for sure

Will we go back? With kids yes. Is it a just do? No. Pandora we won’t miss and hate those movies. Start Wars is in our house daily and we don’t care to go back. That alone seems like a problem and I hate to say it.

The_Jobu

That thread is atrocious, it's the same 4-5 people constantly competing to see who can whine more.

I loved where someone asked "where did all the positive people go?", As if any sane individual would want to expose themselves to that toxic of an environment on a regular basis.

You shouldn't exchange one echo chamber for another. Reading both extremes gets you the most accurate average.

Chomama

Whether we care for particular characters or not, they need to have a decent amount of them around - some shows - to make this land look and feel alive.
Oh yeah. We don’t need darth and d2 (would prefer them) but soem
Shows and droids and musical
Performances and random creatures that occupy this work would help. I do not understand why it’s supposed to be immersive and yet no one is home.

Also Hondo sucks. I just can’t get over him.
Maybe he is the reason everyone moved away?
(Edited by me)

Goodeone

You shouldn't exchange one echo chamber for another. Reading both extremes gets you the most accurate average.

I agree completely! And I've read plenty of reviews from both sides. I'm definitely open to the criticisms of the land, but remain hopeful and excited to check it out for myself in Florida at the end of October.

I won't however make an attempt at having to try a reasonable 2 sided conversation with some of the people in that thread. It's beyond pointless.

TP2000

Basically GE is very cool looking. Disney left a lot on the table and it’s a shame. That’s our takeaway :)

That was exactly my takeaway too. A lot of other people are saying that, it's not just you and me. :D

During my nearly empty late June visit I found Star Wars Land to be aesthetically impressive, but devoid of life and charm and soul. It's a very pretty static display however. I'd rate the Falcon ride a solid B+, and I had expected it to be better as they clearly spent some money on it.

Shows and droids and musical performances and random creatures that occupy this world would help. I do not understand why it’s supposed to be immersive and yet no one is home.

Only Bob Chapek knows the answer to that question.

Disneyland CM's have been reporting that several years ago Bob Chapek slashed the budget on all the droids and aliens, characters and stunt shows and musicians that WDI had originally planned for the land. Then Chapek insisted that the Falcon ride operators and the girls running the snack bar would make up for all that missing entertainment by saying cutesy themed phrases like "Bright Suns!", but the CM's aren't really playing along. Thus, the land feels mostly dead and lifeless.

I think the Million Dollar Question now is what can Orlando execs do to fix all this in the 90 days they have between Disneyland's opening and the DHS opening. Will WDW execs be able to get actual entertainment into the land and bring this elaborate static display to life???

I couldn't agree with you more! And I think it's also worth remembering that DHS will be opening a near-clone of the Disneyland version, but without a third entrance and some land and approach angles lopped off around the Resistance ride.

But once you get into the DHS version of the land... the Falcon ride will be identical, Oga's will be identical, Savi's Workshop and the Droid Depot will be identical, all the smaller shops and snack bars and the fast food place will be identical.

I have a growing hunch the fan response at DHS will also be identical. But it will be interesting to see what people find that is any different at DHS compared to the nearly identical land that opened three months earlier at Disneyland.

Goodeone

That was exactly my takeaway too. A lot of other people are saying that, it's not just you and me. :D

During my nearly empty late June visit I found Star Wars Land to be aesthetically impressive, but devoid of life and charm and soul. It's a very pretty static display however. I'd rate the Falcon ride a solid B+, and I had expected it to be better as they clearly spent some money on it.

Only Bob Chapek knows the answer to that question.

Disneyland CM's have been reporting that several years ago Bob Chapek slashed the budget on all the droids and aliens, characters and stunt shows and musicians that WDI had originally planned for the land. Then Chapek insisted that the Falcon ride operators and the girls running the snack bar would make up for all that missing entertainment by saying cutesy themed phrases like "Bright Suns!", but the CM's aren't really playing along. Thus, the land feels mostly dead and lifeless.

I think the Million Dollar Question now is what can Orlando execs do to fix all this in the 90 days they have between Disneyland's opening and the DHS opening. Will WDW execs be able to get actual entertainment into the land and bring this elaborate static display to life???

I couldn't agree with you more! And I think it's also worth remembering that DHS will be opening a near-clone of the Disneyland version, but without a third entrance and some land and approach angles lopped off around the Resistance ride.

But once you get into the DHS version of the land... the Falcon ride will be identical, Oga's will be identical, Savi's Workshop and the Droid Depot will be identical, all the smaller shops and snack bars and the fast food place will be identical.

I have a growing hunch the fan response at DHS will also be identical. But it will be interesting to see what people find that is any different at DHS compared to the nearly identical land that opened three months earlier at Disneyland.

Thank you for your honest take on the land. Was it busy when you were there? I'm wondering if the level of crowds (or lack thereof) has an effect on how "alive" or "dead" the land feels. I remember back to when it first opened at DL, during press previews I heard a few comments about how empty and odd things felt, but then how much better it was during CM previews when there was more of a crowd.

An empty Main St. USA at the very end of a night definitely feels different than it does mid-day. A part of me is hoping that as the land fills with park goers that will help to make it feel more lived in. I feel like you miss those live characters and actors a lot more if there isn't a large crowd.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

I agree if you could find the other extreme. Heck, even a few more people that kind of liked the land would be refreshing. Hopefully when the DHS version opens we’ll get a wider range of opinions and not the same doom and gloom we’ve heard for the past few months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom