Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Especially in light of the soft crowds at DL, I'm guessing that WDW just does... nothing. No reservation, no tied entry, just chaos. They've already extended the hours, they'll just see how the card end up with opening. And with WDW being more tourist oriented than local, it will be a madhouse, similar to Pandora but much worse.

TP2000

Great post 👍

Thanks. It's a really interesting phenomenon that's playing out this month at Disneyland. No one could have predicted this.

Crowds were modest and manageable for the three weeks of reservations only, so everyone thought the place would go nuts today for the first day of no-reservations and the Virtual Queue to enter the land.

Right now at 9:30pm Pacific Time, just finishing the first Fantasmic! at Disneyland and World of Color at DCA, as I watch the fireworks start here on my deck on a gorgeous SoCal summer evening, and wait times and crowds have collapsed further with Disneyland open until Midnight.

They turned off the Virtual Queue to get into Star Wars Land at 5:00pm today, the land has just been open to anyone who wanders in since 5:00pm, and currently the Millennium Falcon has a 30 minute wait time. All other E Tickets at Disneyland and DCA are 5 to 10 minute wait times. In short, Disneyland and DCA are dead as a doornail tonight and everything except Millennium Falcon is basically a walk-on. That's unheard of! :eek:

It will be interesting to see how the crowds develop through next week with the 4th of July, but suffice it to say we should see some visible panic from TDA and Burbank within a day or two via Parks Blog posts, TV marketing, etc.

How this also plays out with the opening of the DHS land just 60 days from now, and what WDW does differently, will also be fun to watch.

Last edited:

justintheharris

Thanks. It's a really interesting phenomenon that's playing out this month at Disneyland. No one could have predicted this.

Crowds were modest and manageable for the three weeks of reservations only, so everyone thought the place would go nuts today for the first day of no-reservations and the Virtual Queue to enter the land.

Right now at 9:30pm Pacific Time, just finishing the first Fantasmic! at Disneyland and World of Color at DCA, as I watch the fireworks start here on my deck on a gorgeous SoCal summer evening, and wait times and crowds have collapsed further with Disneyland open until Midnight.

They turned off the Virtual Queue to get into Star Wars Land at 5:00pm today, the land has just been open to anyone who wanders in since 5:00pm, and currently the Millennium Falcon has a 30 minute wait time. All other E Tickets at Disneyland and DCA are 5 to 10 minute wait times. In short, Disneyland and DCA are dead as a doornail tonight and everything except Millennium Falcon is basically a walk-on. That's unheard of! :eek:

It will be interesting to see how the crowds develop through next week with the 4th of July, but suffice it to say we should see some visible panic from TDA and Burbank within a day or two via Parks Blog posts, TV marketing, etc.

How this also plays out with the opening of the DHS land just 60 days from now, and what WDW does differently, will also be fun to watch.
I get the feeling Disney is in all out panic mode regarding the attendance at Galaxy's Edge.

ImperfectPixie

I get the feeling Disney is in all out panic mode regarding the attendance at Galaxy's Edge.
Which is ridiculous because a land like Galaxy's Edge is a long-term investment, and many people planned trips to purposely avoid the opening. I personally know about a half dozen families who scheduled WDW trips for a month or two after opening, and even more who delayed their trips until after Christmas in order to avoid as much chaos as possible - specifically because they saw what happened when Pandora opened. These are families who want to experience Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios...they just don't want to deal with huge opening crowds. And I think that's likely the case with Disneyland, too - people expected craziness, so they're being cautious about when to visit. Then there's also the fact that Rise of the Resistance isn't even open yet (and isn't opening right away at DHS, either). How many people are waiting until that 2nd ride is available before visiting?

LukeS7

This worries me that if Galaxy's Edge underperforms in the long run, Disney might revert to letting the parks stagnate for years again.

pdude81

Give it a week at DL. Nobody thinks they will have any chance of getting in because of the carefully controlled opening. Once the virtual queue ends everything will normalize.

WDW will be a zoo as they have announced straight out the gate that everybody gets early access on day 1.

HauntedMansionFLA

This worries me that if Galaxy's Edge underperforms in the long run, Disney might revert to letting the parks stagnate for years again.
Passholders are blocked out at Disneyland at this time and that’s their demographic. Let’s see what happens when DLR are able get access to the park again. WDW will be total chaos 😃All Of those resort hotels, it will be totally opposite opening day.

Keppyslinger

Which is ridiculous because a land like Galaxy's Edge is a long-term investment, and many people planned trips to purposely avoid the opening. I personally know about a half dozen families who scheduled WDW trips for a month or two after opening, and even more who delayed their trips until after Christmas in order to avoid as much chaos as possible - specifically because they saw what happened when Pandora opened. These are families who want to experience Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios...they just don't want to deal with huge opening crowds. And I think that's likely the case with Disneyland, too - people expected craziness, so they're being cautious about when to visit. Then there's also the fact that Rise of the Resistance isn't even open yet (and isn't opening right away at DHS, either). How many people are waiting until that 2nd ride is available before visiting?
You nailed it. (In my opinion.)
This is what I think. I have speculated that there will be an initial swell of attendance, followed by a lull as people wait for the land to be completely open. I think Hollywood Studios will be busy, just not insane until everything is open.

justintheharris

Well this would be something never observed before in Disney theme parks. Everybody showed up for Pandora and Toy Story land undeterred by crowds. Why is Galaxy's Edge a different ball game suddenly?

ImperfectPixie

Well this would be something never observed before in Disney theme parks. Everybody showed up for Pandora and Toy Story land undeterred by crowds. Why is Galaxy's Edge a different ball game suddenly?
Because it has a much bigger fan-base - to the point that it will draw people who wouldn't previously have even considered a trip to DL or WDW.

DCLcruiser

DLR/DCA is very different, as others have said. It's mostly locals who want to take pictures in their Minnie Mouse ears (I've never seen so many custom outfits on guests). People don't really fly to California for a Disney vacation like they do for WDW.

When I went last year (day after Pixar Pier opened w/ Incredicoaster) we got up super early for rope drop, waited in a big line for the coaster, and then the entire rest of DLR/DCA was basically empty. Between good planning and the app constantly throwing us free fast passes (due to maintenance issues) we only waited on one standby line the whole day (Incredicoaster). Little Mermaid Ride? 5 minutes.

I liked the parks a lot, and some rides like Pirates was better than WDW, but the overall feel is very different. Much more laidback. No need for a battle plan before you enter. We did both parks in one day.

justintheharris

Because it has a much bigger fan-base - to the point that it will draw people who wouldn't previously have even considered a trip to DL or WDW.
The size of the fan base doesn't relate to the fact that people showed up for the others undeterred by crowds. And Wizarding World drew crowds on opening day too despite having a large and comparable fan base. What you said had no relevance to the question at hand.

ImperfectPixie

The size of the fan base doesn't relate to the fact that people showed up for the others undeterred by crowds. And Wizarding World drew crowds on opening day too despite having a large and comparable fan base. What you said had no relevance to the question at hand.
Sorry...I think I mis-read or something. As I said in an earlier post, I think people are staying away based on what happened when Pandora opened and in the hopes of missing what they thought/think would/will be a madhouse and to wait for RotR to open.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Passholders are blocked out at Disneyland at this time and that’s their demographic. Let’s see what happens when DLR are able get access to the park again. WDW will be total chaos 😃All Of those resort hotels, it will be totally opposite opening day.

Does anyone know when blackouts end?

Sorry...I think I mis-read or something. As I said in an earlier post, I think people are staying away based on what happened when Pandora opened and in the hopes of missing what they thought/think would/will be a madhouse and to wait for RotR to open.

I think everyone is missing the point that Orlando is *very* different than CA. TSL and Pandora openings were both Florida openings. I expect the same level of craziness come Aug 29.

SoCal is an entirely different beast.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Does anyone know when blackouts end?

I think everyone is missing the point that Orlando is *very* different than CA. TSL and Pandora openings were both Florida openings. I expect the same level of craziness come Aug 29.

SoCal is an entirely different beast.
I actually also wonder if putting SW:GE in Disneyland was a mistake - if it's drawing in more people, but offset by off-putting the AP regulars. I wonder if they would have been better served putting it in DCA, acting as a new draw to that park. DHS won't have the same problem, in fact it creates a new reason to visit the park.

justintheharris

And as I initially responded, this would be a first of its kind scenario. I don't think that's the case. As Mikejs78 pointed out, it's more likely that Disneyland really only services the California market and that Disney World will have the true impact. Honestly, I could believe that people would often miss the fact that the Disneyland Galaxy's Edge opened first. Like in history documentaries, they'll say "Galaxy's Edge opened on August 29th, 2019" with no mention that the Disneyland version had been open months prior.

However, even taking the differences between Disneyland and Disney World into account, I do think Disney is caught very off guard by the low turn out. Disneyland was blocked out for cast members self admission until September and on day 1 of the virtual queue, ALL THE BLOCK OUT DATES got lifted or so I've been told. So clearly Disney is surprised at the low crowds.

mikejs78

Premium Member
And as I initially responded, this would be a first of its kind scenario. I don't think that's the case. As Mikejs78 pointed out, it's more likely that Disneyland really only services the California market and that Disney World will have the true impact. Honestly, I could believe that people would often miss the fact that the Disneyland Galaxy's Edge opened first. Like in history documentaries, they'll say "Galaxy's Edge opened on August 29th, 2019" with no mention that the Disneyland version had been open months prior.

However, even taking the differences between Disneyland and Disney World into account, I do think Disney is caught very off guard by the low turn out. Disneyland was blocked out for cast members self admission until September and on day 1 of the virtual queue, ALL THE BLOCK OUT DATES got lifted or so I've been told. So clearly Disney is surprised at the low crowds.

They also blocked out nearly every AP for the whole summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom