Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

drod1985

I spent months staring at photos of the DHS version of the land. Then the DL images and photos started trickling out...and then the media blitz ensued. During all of this I always felt weird looking at DL's tan marketplace square compared to DHS' brown marketplace square.

Now it's the opposite, I've been so inundated with DL's GE that the DHS brown marketplace square looks weird.

sedati

Wondering what sort of reveal there will be when emerging from the tunnel. Both A-Wing and X-Wing seem like they are a bit hidden from initial view by ruins and planters. There is however one spot that looks like it may hold some yet-unseen prop right at the entrance.

cjkeating

I spent months staring at photos of the DHS version of the land. Then the DL images and photos started trickling out...and then the media blitz ensued. During all of this I always felt weird looking at DL's tan marketplace square compared to DHS' brown marketplace square.

Now it's the opposite, I've been so inundated with DL's GE that the DHS brown marketplace square looks weird.

It will be interesting to compare the colour differences in person.

I've found the photos from DL to look too beige and bland for my tastes whereas DHS looks to have more colour and contrasts.

KevinPage

I booked a value resort a few months back so we were on Disney property the night before, assuming they would give some type of perk to hotel guests. Oh well.

But I still think they do will do something (and not just have it be a total free for all) for the first 3 days.

Joeamc

I booked a value resort a few months back so we were on Disney property the night before, assuming they would give some type of perk to hotel guests. Oh well.

But I still think they do will do something (and not just have it be a total free for all) for the first 3 days.
I read a 6am opening for Disney onsite guests. Not sure if that helps

drod1985

6am for all the first 3 days (so far). 6am on-site starts on 9/1 with EEMH

This is correct.

I do wonder why they made the first 3 days a free for all. You’d think they’d see value in making those first hours on the first days be EEMH too.

I was considering moving my trip to the middle of September, when EEMH would be in effect, but then I figured with 30k+ rooms on property the difference may truly be minimal.

Joeamc

This is correct.

I do wonder why they made the first 3 days a free for all. You’d think they’d see value in making those first hours on the first days be EEMH too.

I was considering moving my trip to the middle of September, when EEMH would be in effect, but then I figured with 30k+ rooms on property the difference may truly be minimal.
I think you're right

KevinPage

This is correct.

Yeah me too. They don’t need a Universal manufactured headline of utter chaos and long lines, all that’s gonna do is people off.

I think with hotel only, most people are not getting up for a 6am opening, even the 8-9am openings are good bets to go (unless things have changed dramatically over the years). So this is just keeping away the AP hordes (which I’m one of but also a staying at hotel for this).

Then again, if you are not at a hotel or have an AP, Disney is not a single day guest kinda place either. So I can see how there might not be a huge variance.

RSoxNo1

Disneyland was dead today. You can come up with a multitude of explanations, but it has to be concerning.

I wouldn't be surprised if they link the "boarding groups" with overall park attendance for the day so there is a direct link. If it's a 5 out of 10 in the park, they can somewhat regulate the land to be in line with that.

It's a nice headline that the land filled to capacity in 20 minutes, but when the capacity is so low, that's not really saying much. You'd think that there would be swarms of people in Disneyland filling the queues at other attractions.

TP2000

Here's an operational update from Disneyland on the first day of open access to Star Wars Land. I offer this as a compare/contrast because it appears the Disneyland strategy of three weeks of reservations followed by a "virtual queue" to enter the land has created a surprisingly low turnout. I can easily imagine that WDW management is learning from this and likely will amp up the marketing and ability to get into the land when it opens August 29th.

Early this morning as the sun rose over SoCal, only two or three dozen people had arrived early waiting to get into Disneyland at its 7:00am gate opening.

D906ZvQU0AIzYEi.jpg:large

Closer to 7:00am the crowd had grown a bit, but was still tiny.

D91E3mGXoAAj3uj.jpg

By this afternoon, Millennium Falcon had the longest line in the park by far (it is NOT offering Fastpass, only a regular line). But the wait times throughout Disneyland and DCA were very low for this time of year, with obviously light crowds. It was sunny and 78 degrees in Anaheim at 3:00pm when these E Ticket wait times were captured via the Disneyland App, so weather was perfect for a day at Disneyland. (I've cut and pasted the following from a thread about low wait times over in the Disneyland forum)

Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion - 5 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Tours - 10 Minutes
Submarines, Incredicoaster - 15 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 20 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Grizzly River Run - 25 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Matterhorn Bobsleds - 30 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 75 Minutes
Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 80 Minutes

The rest of the C and D Tickets in both parks have more 5 and 10 minute wait times. Everything in Fantasyland is 5 or 10 minutes; Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land, except Peter Pan's Flight at 30 minutes. Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. dark rides are 5 minutes. The Canoes are 5 minutes. The six spinners in DCA plus Little Mermaid are all 5 minutes. Autopia and the Disneyland Railroad is 5 minutes. Buzz Lightyear is 10 minutes. Luigi's Roadsters and the Pixar death wheel is 15 minutes. Midway Mania is 30 minutes.

At 5:05pm they turned off the "Virtual Queue" and allowed anyone into the land, free-flow. The wait time for Millennium Falcon with the land wide open is now 60 minutes.

So, needless to say, after an extremely manageable three plus weeks of reservation-only access, Star Wars Land at Disneyland is now officially open for anyone who wants to go in. The result is a surprisingly low crowd turnout and very low wait times at both parks. Who would have thunk it?!?

We are talking over in the Disneyland forum how TDA must be in panic mode over this, but I do have to wonder how they will operate the opening of Star Wars Land at DHS based on the surprising low turnout at Disneyland?

Last edited:

drod1985

I don't know about TDO, but I hope and pray for an opening day like DL's at DHS.

It's interesting because it seems GE is operating at a high level with good attendance, but that attendance isn't spilling over into the rest of the park.

Savi's and Oga's totally booked within 20 minutes. They already sold out of most of the hottest merch during the reservation period. There's not much more they could make money on other than food. So Galaxy's Edge itself is operating at full capacity and likely with no losses. But again, spillover of GE hopefuls into the rest of DL did not pan out. TDA probably sees that as an operational win, at the expense of ancillary profits from the rest of the food/merch outside of GE.

HauntedMansionFLA

I don't know about TDO, but I hope and pray for an opening day like DL's at DHS.

It's interesting because it seems GE is operating at a high level with good attendance, but that attendance isn't spilling over into the rest of the park.

Savi's and Oga's totally booked within 20 minutes. They already sold out of most of the hottest merch during the reservation period. There's not much more they could make money on other than food. So Galaxy's Edge itself is operating at full capacity and likely with no losses. But again, spillover of GE hopefuls into the rest of DL did not pan out. TDA probably sees that as an operational win, at the expense of ancillary profits from the rest of the food/merch outside of GE.
Totally different crowds go to WDW/DLR. DLR has the local crowds and WDW has the tourists that visit. DHS crowds will be insane with all of the Resort hotels on property. It should be a LOL time.

HauntedMansionFLA

Here's an operational update from Disneyland on the first day of open access to Star Wars Land. I offer this as a compare/contrast because it appears the Disneyland strategy of three weeks of reservations followed by a "virtual queue" to enter the land has created a surprisingly low turnout. I can easily imagine that WDW management is learning from this and likely will amp up the marketing and ability to get into the land when it opens August 29th.

Early this morning as the sun rose over SoCal, only two or three dozen people had arrived early waiting to get into Disneyland at its 7:00am gate opening.

D906ZvQU0AIzYEi.jpg:large

Closer to 7:00am the crowd had grown a bit, but was still tiny.

D91E3mGXoAAj3uj.jpg

By this afternoon, Millennium Falcon had the longest line in the park by far (it is NOT offering Fastpass, only a regular line). But the wait times throughout Disneyland and DCA were very low for this time of year, with obviously light crowds. It was sunny and 78 degrees in Anaheim at 3:00pm when these E Ticket wait times were captured via the Disneyland App, so weather was perfect for a day at Disneyland. (I've cut and pasted the following from a thread about low wait times over in the Disneyland forum)

Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion - 5 Minutes
Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Tours - 10 Minutes
Submarines, Incredicoaster - 15 Minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 20 Minutes
Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Grizzly River Run - 25 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Matterhorn Bobsleds - 30 Minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 75 Minutes
Millennium Falcon: Target Run - 80 Minutes

The rest of the C and D Tickets in both parks have more 5 and 10 minute wait times. Everything in Fantasyland is 5 or 10 minutes; Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Storybook Land, except Peter Pan's Flight at 30 minutes. Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc. dark rides are 5 minutes. The Canoes are 5 minutes. The six spinners in DCA plus Little Mermaid are all 5 minutes. Autopia and the Disneyland Railroad is 5 minutes. Buzz Lightyear is 10 minutes. Luigi's Roadsters and the Pixar death wheel is 15 minutes. Midway Mania is 30 minutes.

At 5:05pm they turned off the "Virtual Queue" and allowed anyone into the land, free-flow. The wait time for Millennium Falcon with the land wide open is now 60 minutes.

So, needless to say, after an extremely manageable three plus weeks of reservation-only access, Star Wars Land at Disneyland is now officially open for anyone who wants to go in. The result is a surprisingly low crowd turnout and very low wait times at both parks. Who would have thunk it?!?

We are talking over in the Disneyland forum how TDA must be in panic mode over this, but I do have to wonder how they will operate the opening of Star Wars Land at DHS based on the surprising low turnout at Disneyland?
Great post 👍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom