Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Launchpad McQuack

Same here - I'm really hoping they do SOMETHING for DHS.

When Galaxy's Edge was first being developed, I was like "man, it would be so cool to be there when it opens... Nah, it's going to be so crazy that it won't even be fun." No, after seeing how they opened it in Disneyland, I'm worried about NOT being there for opening day/week/month because it'll be more of a madhouse AFTER the opening process dies down.

solidyne

When Galaxy's Edge was first being developed, I was like "man, it would be so cool to be there when it opens... Nah, it's going to be so crazy that it won't even be fun." No, after seeing how they opened it in Disneyland, I'm worried about NOT being there for opening day/week/month because it'll be more of a madhouse AFTER the opening process dies down.
Who knows? Maybe with all the bad reviews and with everyone exploring every detail online in youtubes, blogs, etc., there just won't be as much interest when reservations are done.

Launchpad McQuack

Who knows? Maybe with all the bad reviews and with everyone exploring every detail online in youtubes, blogs, etc., there just won't be as much interest when reservations are done.

I keep seeing everyone talk about "bad reviews" and negative press about Galaxy's Edge, but literally everything I've personally seen or heard from people who have been there has been positive (with the exception of the milk). Maybe I'm not following enough of the DisBitter accounts, but I'm also not following the "look how great everything is!" accounts (Lou Mongello/WDW Radio, for example) anymore, either.

peter11435

I keep seeing everyone talk about "bad reviews" and negative press about Galaxy's Edge, but literally everything I've personally seen or heard from people who have been there has been positive (with the exception of the milk). Maybe I'm not following enough of the DisBitter accounts, but I'm also not following the "look how great everything is!" accounts (Lou Mongello/WDW Radio, for example) anymore, either.
There’s been negative reviews from several people who have never been there.

drod1985

I hope they "beat that" by making it so no one has to wait 600 minutes. While I had my doubts about the reservation system at Disneyland, everything I see and hear about it makes it look like a much, much smoother opening than what I expected with just thousands of people clawing and trampling their way over each other to get through the land.

Preach. Success will be a smooth and enjoyable experience for as many people as possible, not cramming 10,000 people into the land and having the vast majority be upset by wait times, lack of experience capacity, or sold-out merch.

Casper Gutman

There’s been negative reviews from several people who have never been there.
And there have been negative, middling, and positive-but-with-serious-reservations reviews from people who have been there.

The complaints have varied, but a few points keep recurring: the shops, restaurants, and other spaces are too small even for the less-then-expected crowds; the signature drink is unpleasant; the land is severely underbuilt, lacking a headliner (which will change shortly), several lesser attractions and a table service (which won’t).

Reviews of the Falcon have been largely positive but not ecstatic, with disagreement over whether it surpasses Star Tours and how much the interactive elements add to or detract from the experience.

Here’s my incendiary prediction: reviews for Hagrid are going to be significantly more enthusiastic then those for the Falcon, causing consternation on Disney message boards and in Disney board rooms. RotR should easily surpass Hagrid, however.... or else.

ChewbaccaYourMum

And there have been negative, middling, and positive-but-with-serious-reservations reviews from people who have been there.

The complaints have varied, but a few points keep recurring: the shops, restaurants, and other spaces are too small even for the less-then-expected crowds; the signature drink is unpleasant; the land is severely underbuilt, lacking a headliner (which will change shortly), several lesser attractions and a table service (which won’t).

Reviews of the Falcon have been largely positive but not ecstatic, with disagreement over whether it surpasses Star Tours and how much the interactive elements add to or detract from the experience.

Here’s my incendiary prediction: reviews for Hagrid are going to be significantly more enthusiastic then those for the Falcon, causing consternation on Disney message boards and in Disney board rooms. RotR should easily surpass Hagrid, however.... or else.
If RotR is not the best thing Disney has ever done, then there's a serious problem, IMO of course.

I can see people being a bit upset with the sizes of the stores and and restaurants. Comparing to Hogsmeade at Universal, it was built with small shops on purpose because it was supposed to replicate the movies. With GE though, there was no reason to make them too small, and I feel like I'll also be someone who gets annoyed with their sizes.

drod1985

The closest thing to an outright negative review would be the Smuggler's Run review posted here by a journalist a few days ago.

Everything else I've seen, whether its been media or guests with reservations, has been generally positive. The biggest criticisms I've seen are that Smuggler's Run is good but not meeting some expectations, blue/green milk aren't a home run, and Savi's/Oga's are difficult to get into.

Incomudro

There are always going to be negative reviews, and a Star Wars anything is going to garner it's share of them - because Star Wars is something that so many fans geek out on, and have a million different opinions on how things should be done, are being done and were done.
It depends on how you look at things.
Some people - as we see - expected Disney to create something that guest would actually go into and believe they were on another planet. If it didn't deliver that, they are upset.
Others - me for instance - loves the artwork, design, creativity, detail etc. that Disney puts into things - as I mentioned they did in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea back in the day, or over in AK.
So Galaxy's Edge is Disney doing Star Wars as I expect them to do it.
They did it extremely well so far as I can tell, and I'd imagine it's only going to be better when I visit it myself.
The scale, the sounds, the smells, the rides, (there will be two by the time I get there) the cast members...

the_rich

I went to GE on Sat the 8th at 8am. The land itself is breathtaking. I thought Pandora was detailed and immersive but this is to another level. I felt like I was in another world. Nothing compares to walking around the corner and seeing the falcon sitting there for the first time. The ride itself was awesome. You are actually piloting the ship. I thought it was great how your actions had an effect. The gunners and engineers were actively rooting the pilots on. Amazing experience overall. As for the shops, I thought they were unique and well done. I didn't feel their size was a detriment at all. I can't talk about any of the food except for the green milk, which I liked alot. I liked the ambiance of not having any music. It helped to make it feel otherworldly. If this was all there was I would say it's a very good land maybe just under Pandora quality wise. But with RotR supposedly being the greatest ride they've ever built I can't see how GE doesn't become Disney's biggest accomplishment.

jrhwdw

Saw on a stream this morning that a question was asked about comparing Hagrid to Falcon. The answer was kind of Apples to Oranges. I suspect that might be the same thing with Hagrid and ROTR. Now all of SWGE might be better than Hagrid. DL's looked stunning through YT and if that same spirit lands in DHS, We're in for a Real treat!!!

Plus we're getting Skyliner! I know, I know, not an attraction, just transportation, but it's an added plus to WDW!

Keppyslinger

When Pandora opened, the land was complete. People could go in and experience everything. When Galaxy’s Edge opens the land will be partially complete. I am wondering if there will be an initial wave that hits the park for the first month or so, and then something of an ebbing of the tide as people await the opening of RotR.

In CA they are controlling access so it is hard to use that to project anything, but I am curious what people think.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In CA they are controlling access so it is hard to use that to project anything, but I am curious what people think.

It's not like they're vetting who gets in and who doesn't. Everyone had an equal opportunity to score a reservation.

Or, would you call a restaurant that takes reservations as "controlling access" to their food?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom