Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure that this has been talked about before, but I'm going to mention it again because it sticks in my craw.

I continue to marvel at some of Disney's decisions that are popping up on the tweeter. Please pay multiple hundreds of dollars for jedi robes, lightsabers, droids, etc, but you can't use any of them until you have left the area specifically designed for their use. Yes, I'm aware of the rule about costumes on adults in the parks, and the droids as potential tripping hazards, but come on. The whole point of GE is letting people pretend to be space wizards. That's what they're jumping through all these hoops for. If they had concerns about guests in robes playing with lightsabers, then they could have tried to figure that out beforehand instead of copying the WWoHP model, eliminating the main reason guests do it, and then expecting the same results as Uni.

It’s. It helped by Disney choice to let CMs customize their costumes to make things look more organic. Part of the purpose of a uniform is to make the person distinguishable and to stand out to a degree. To make it clear that this person is here to help or be the authority. That gets lost when Disney has thousands of variations of costumes and guests are dressing similar.

I bet over time Disney makes their cms out in the open areas more consistent and easy to spot

Animaniac93-98

I don't think the rule is there for security issues. Disney pay cm's to dress as these characters and 'entertain' the guests. They want the guests to know which people are proper 'characters' that they can interact with and if guests were in full costume that could be confusing.

Take an example of a guest dressed as a Jedi going round encouraging other guests to climb onto a prop for a picture with him or her. The guest could assume they were a legit cast member in costume and do as they say putting themselves in danger.

Not an issue at Universal in the HP section where people wear house robes.

mergatroid

Not an issue at Universal in the HP section where people wear house robes.

Well I'm just going off the logical thinking behind it. These things are often not an issue until they become one. If something happened at Uni involving a guest in costume encouraging another one to do something wrong or dangerous, I'm sure it would become an 'issue'. Perhaps Disney are thinking ahead and eliminating problems before they become one?

For instance at HHN Uni doesn't allow costumes, probably for the same reasons?

Princess Leia

Since we’re on the topic of robes, I have a feeling that it won’t be a massive issue from April-October. It’s Florida, it’s hot and humid. When I went to Uni in October, I saw some in Hogwarts robes, but not many. And those that did looked absolutely miserable.

doctornick

I’m most worried that the DHS version isn’t going to be designed for that park so it’s going to be the DL version that is better. I’m worried I’ll be seeing TSL from DHS version. Worried it won’t be as immersive.

As mentioned, you won't be able to see anything from street level where guests are anyway. DHS' land will feel just as isolated.

Some have mentioned the lack of a tunnel going from TSL into SW:GE but the pathway is relatively long and turns right once it gets into the land. It will be similar to the walkway from Critter Country in DL. There's a wide berm in that area that doesn't exist in DL since the river and railroad form the barrier instead.

The biggest way in which DHS loses out is when you can tops of the SW buildings from elsewhere in the park (e.g. which on SDD). Not a big deal, but in DL they harmonize more with the spires in Frontierland where in DHS they are more distinct than other lands. Of course, small visual intrusions from other lands is nothing new for Disney parks and this is still in the relatively mild.

No Name

I dunno, I suspect quite a lot of people who wait in a multi-hour line only to be insulted by a CM might not love it. The difficulties associated with having guests “lose” is one of the many reasons interactive theme park rides are a bad idea. Also, some people don’t go to theme parks to “face the consequences of their actions” or “improve” their attraction-riding skills. I strongly suspect most don’t.

Is the policy on these boards going to be to personally insult anyone who makes a less-then-adulatory comment about SWGE?

“Insulted by a CM”? Cmon, if that CM’s comment is what someone considers an insult, they’ve got a larger issue. It wasn’t even something like “Man, you suck at piloting the Falcon!” It was a simple comment on the fictional consequence of their singular performance.

Seeing as TSMM is the highest-rated ride in the park and one of the highest at the resort among most age groups, and Buzz is quite popular as well, you really can’t assert that interactive rides in and of themselves are a problem. Smuggler’s Run‘s issues might have more to do with cooperation.

Your last paragraph is a poor jab and an inaccurate generalization because I’ve been plenty critical about SWGE including Smuggler’s Run on these boards. It has nothing to do with that whatsoever.

Last edited:

Mike S

“Insulted by a CM”? Cmon, if that CM’s comment is what someone considers an insult, they’ve got a larger issue. It wasn’t even something like “Man, you suck at piloting the Falcon!” It was a simple comment on the fictional consequence of their singular performance.

Seeing as TSMM is the highest-rated ride in the park and one of the highest at the resort among most age groups, and Buzz is quite popular as well, you really can’t assert that interactive rides in and of themselves are a problem. Smuggler’s Run‘s issues might have more to do with cooperation.

Your last paragraph is a poor jab and an inaccurate generalization because I’ve been plenty critical about SWGE including Smuggler’s Run on these boards. It has nothing to do with that whatsoever.
I worry for the guys mental well being if something that actually mattered in life went a little south if this was his reaction to being told he did a bad job flying a fictional spaceship.

dvitali

Let have a sub section discussion on Disney Play App and the various languages in a Disney Star War universe. What is Bright Sun or Bright Moon? Will Disney Play App work at DHS? Why does Marvel Galaxies Edge Comic mini series has Hans Solo alive but the park take place after the Last Jedi but before rise of the Skywalker?

Piebald

I noticed at DL Chewbacca actually speaks. I dont believe Chewbacca speaks at Launch Bay at DHS. I wonder if he will speak here or be mute ...or even show up at all considering the differences between characters at DL and characters at WDW

totchos

Kind of off topic here and maybe someone’s clarified this earlier in the thread but i've been wondering about the Rise of the Resistance ride. It seems to me as if the ride vehicle wont be able to execute any intense movements or maneuvers. From the promotional footage it looks like the vehicle just slowly moves from one scene to the next while the “action” unfolds around you as opposed to having the vehicle actually engage with its surroundings. This seems odd to me because you would think they would have a ride vehicle that could offer a mild degree of intensity similar to that of Spiderman/Transformers. I guess being that its trackless, the vehicle is not capable of moving that much? The height requirement is 40’’ like Spiderman but it just doesn’t seem to be that intense??

Stripes

So has anyone played the Outpost Control game on the Play Disney Parks app? I noticed something. In the app, the Resistance has a blue logo and the First Order has a red. I wonder if depending on the side you are on, when you play the game and hack the door panels the red and blue hexagonal lights reflect which team the latest person to hack it was.

Pic of a door panel with red illuminated and blue next to it (not illuminated).

My understanding was that whichever side has the most door panels under their control wins when it comes time to tally, whether that's the end of every day, end of the month, etc I don't know.

Edit: yep, that's how it works. Disney should publicize this more. It's a really neat feature of the land, yet I feel like no one knows anything about it! I certain didn't and I've following this land like a hawk.

Last edited:

_bluebird

With the whole Outpost Control, the panels tell you whether they're leaning to one side or the other. If it's flashing between red and blue, it hasn't been claimed by a side yet. If it's flashing a single color, it's leaning to a side, but it hasn't been fully claimed. If it's solid red or blue, it has already been claimed and can't be hacked for a side. It takes multiple hacks to fully lock down a panel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom