Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tavernacle12

I found it ironic that they decided to base the land in the time of Poe, Rey and Kylo, yet for the dedication of the land they only have three of the oldest characters, Luke, Han and Lando on stage. No Rey, No Poe, No Kylo, None of the newer characters!

I think:
A. They might be saving the newer cast for the Resistance ride’s premiere since they’re a part of it.
B. The old cast lives much closer to Anaheim so getting them there for a quick PR thing would be easier.

So any idea when DL's version of ROTR will open? They say: "later this year," which doesn't sound too optimistic but I suspect they just don't want anybody putting off their vacations anymore.

I’m holding out hope it will be August when I’m there for D23.
I don’t know whether we’ve had any word as to how far away they are from the finish line now in DL?

Jones14

All of the MK lands opened with more than two attractions though, unlike TSL or SWL. Main Street had train, vehicles, cinema. Adventureland Junge;, Treehouse, Tiki; LQ had Mansion, Presidents, Diamond Horshoe, Riverboat....
Toy Story Land opened with the Green Army Man show, though, and we’re still not fully aware of how substantial the mini shows with the characters throughout SWL will be. Somebody else mentioned the interactive elements, too.

Kman101

There's Stormtroopers patrolling. I believe Chewy and Kylo both have some sort of "show" they put on (so to speak) ... wonder what is getting cut at DHS to fund all this? Probably the stage show and stormtrooper march ... (just guesses, I know nothing!). Isn't it interesting how a few acts at DL were cut and Farley is retiring ... anywho ...

I see castmembers are whining after their previews. But I said the rollout would be a mess, and it is. What did they expect? You have hours long lines just for lightsabers (and that is for PREVIEWS ... I imagine you will probably end up getting a virtual queue here at somepoint), you have no capacity in the Cantina ... a glorified video game as an attraction (the experience itself looks incredible, but yet, that's all this is, a video game, and no I'm not trying to knock it) ... basically "COME SPEND YOUR MONEY AND WAIT IN LINE TO DO IT" .... I can see why it's not being amazingly well received ... I can only imagine the griping when Joe Public is allowed in. Also can't wait to hear the uber Star Wars fanatics whining and picking it apart .... and how long before any of the unique food is dumped for more regular fare?

At least no one dares to knock the theming, because they really hit it out of the park (haven't seen it in person but don't have to, you can clearly tell how incredibly detailed and well done it is from videos and pictures; I can only imagine seeing it in person)

Maybe they ... you know ... they should have just waited ... and rolled this out better. But I'll get asked to come up with solutions by certain posters. Well ... it's not my job to come up with solutions for a multi-billion dollar company.

While I completely understand the motivation for putting this land in Disneyland ... they really missed out making this an anchor land of Disneyland's 3rd park. Just sayin ... and this land will make the rest of DHS look embarrassing. At least in Anaheim you exit into classic Disneyland with dozens of attractions. Imagine re-entering DHS and being greeted by a still half-day park.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There's Stormtroopers patrolling. I believe Chewy and Kylo both have some sort of "show" they put on (so to speak) ... wonder what is getting cut at DHS to fund all this? Probably the stage show and stormtrooper march ... (just guesses, I know nothing!). Isn't it interesting how a few acts at DL were cut and Farley is retiring ... anywho ...

I see castmembers are whining after their previews. But I said the rollout would be a mess, and it is. What did they expect? You have hours long lines just for lightsabers (and that is for PREVIEWS ... I imagine you will probably end up getting a virtual queue here at somepoint), you have no capacity in the Cantina ... a glorified video game as an attraction (the experience itself looks incredible, but yet, that's all this is, a video game, and no I'm not trying to knock it) ... basically "COME SPEND YOUR MONEY AND WAIT IN LINE TO DO IT" .... I can see why it's not being amazingly well received ... I can only imagine the griping when Joe Public is allowed in. Also can't wait to hear the uber Star Wars fanatics whining and picking it apart .... and how long before any of the unique food is dumped for more regular fare?

At least no one dares to knock the theming, because they really hit it out of the park (haven't seen it in person but don't have to, you can clearly tell how incredibly detailed and well done it is from videos and pictures; I can only imagine seeing it in person)

Maybe they ... you know ... they should have just waited ... and rolled this out better. But I'll get asked to come up with solutions by certain posters. Well ... it's not my job to come up with solutions for a multi-billion dollar company.

While I completely understand the motivation for putting this land in Disneyland ... they really missed out making this an anchor land of Disneyland's 3rd park. Just sayin ... and this land will make the rest of DHS look embarrassing. At least in Anaheim you exit into classic Disneyland with dozens of attractions. Imagine re-entering DHS and being greeted by a still half-day park.
What was the motivation to putting this in Disneyland? If anything I would think that DCA would have been the better choice, as that park could use an attendance boost.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

You can see some of the entertainment in SWGE at https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/star-wars-land/video/450.htm

flynnibus

Premium Member
I see castmembers are whining after their previews. But I said the rollout would be a mess, and it is

you have literally one of the biggest franchises in history... and the brand new stuff... in a place where 30-90min waits are normal for stuff that have been around for decades. Lines and waits are inevitable. Dunno how that makes it 'a mess'.

And people should be clued in that not all crowd management elements would be in place for previews or special events. You don't do advanced reservations for experiences during a CM preview event, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If anything I think the whole marketplace 'stall' concept seems a bit impractical from what we've seen so far.

And what I think now that we've seen more ground level stuff is I wish the streets had taller structures around to offset the wider paths they need. The scale always gets wonky in person when you add in all the necessary crowd paths and forced perspective vs actual intimacy and scale.

Kman101

you have literally one of the biggest franchises in history... and the brand new stuff... in a place where 30-90min waits are normal for stuff that have been around for decades. Lines and waits are inevitable. Dunno how that makes it 'a mess'.

And people should be clued in that not all crowd management elements would be in place for previews or special events. You don't do advanced reservations for experiences during a CM preview event, etc.

Not just lines make it a mess, but thanks for cherry picking.

Just how I see it and from what's being said. I think it's a lot of whining but I think some valid points are in there. But of course you'd disagree with me ;)

the_rich

I was just reading an article that says GE will have a capacity of 14,000 people. During the first month with reservations they are going to keep it to 10,000 per 4 hour window. Considering there are 5 windows per day that amounts to 50,000 guests. DL's capacity is reportedly 80,000. So I wonder how Disney is going to handle this. I would assume they wouldn't want to turn anyone away that has a reservation. So are they going to artificially limit the capacity of guests without a reservation? Does anyone have any insight into this?

cjkeating

I was just reading an article that says GE will have a capacity of 14,000 people. During the first month with reservations they are going to keep it to 10,000 per 4 hour window. Considering there are 5 windows per day that amounts to 50,000 guests. DL's capacity is reportedly 80,000. So I wonder how Disney is going to handle this. I would assume they wouldn't want to turn anyone away that has a reservation. So are they going to artificially limit the capacity of guests without a reservation? Does anyone have any insight into this?

14,000 sounds very optimistic to me until ROTR opens.

Even if 7,000 are in the queue for SR what on earth are the other 7,000 people doing.

djlaosc

I found it ironic that they decided to base the land in the time of Poe, Rey and Kylo, yet for the dedication of the land they only have three of the oldest characters, Luke, Han and Lando on stage. No Rey, No Poe, No Kylo, None of the newer characters!

I don't know what the other two (or Finn) are currently doing, but Oscar is currently/has recently been in Hungary filming Dune.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not just lines make it a mess, but thanks for cherry picking.

Just how I see it and from what's being said. I think it's a lot of whining but I think some valid points are in there. But of course you'd disagree with me ;)

Cherry picking? Sorry, it was hard to find something concrete in your wall of generalizations and refusal to go on record with anything.. instead just opt'ing for the attempt at "I told you so.."

flynnibus

Premium Member

Well... you're assuming all 50k want to be in DL still. So that's 40k people in DL, NOT in SW:GE... plus everyone else who doesn't have reservations. 40k++ in the rest of the park is certainly enough to keep things busy.

If it's a problem... Disney will simply goto phased closings like they've always done. They limit who can enter, they force people to goto DCA instead.. they let ppl buying tickets know they can't get in to DL... they put the signboards on the highways saying DL is at capacity, etc.

Disney Analyst

If anything I think the whole marketplace 'stall' concept seems a bit impractical from what we've seen so far.

And what I think now that we've seen more ground level stuff is I wish the streets had taller structures around to offset the wider paths they need. The scale always gets wonky in person when you add in all the necessary crowd paths and forced perspective vs actual intimacy and scale.

I think once the crowds fill those large paths it'll likely look a bit different then the wide paths we see now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom