Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mitchk

CJR

So... FastPast+?

No. Not Fastpass +. That's not a take a number system. When someone drops a Fastpass, the other people don't automatically get bumped up.

EDIT: When you get in any standby line, there are X number of people in front of you. What I'm talking about would still be standby, but your place in line is tracked so that you go do something else and come back when the physical line reaches a certain level, like 30 minutes to an hour. That way guests aren't standing in the same spot for hours while other rides, shops and restaurants go empty.

MickeyMinnieMom

No. Not Fastpass +. That's not a take a number system. When someone drops a Fastpass, the other people don't automatically get bumped up.

EDIT: When you get in any standby line, there are X number of people in front of you. What I'm talking about would still be standby, but your place in line is tracked so that you go do something else and come back when the physical line reaches a certain level, like 30 minutes to an hour. That way guests aren't standing in the same spot for hours while other rides, shops and restaurants go empty.
Didn't Universal do something like this for Potter? I had no interest so didn't pay attention, but I thought I read that.

I'd prefer they do both: reserved FP+, and take-a-number concept for standby.

po1998

IMO, they should do a "take a number system", where you will get notified by Disney's app when to go get in line, and enjoy the rest of the park until that time. That way people aren't standing around forever.

I will say this though, Florida is way better off than California. At least we're looking at the cooler late fall months and not June or July. The thought of standing out there for hours in 100 degree weather is even more unappealing. Then again, people could possibly be doing that in 2020 since I'm sure demand will hold up, especially on peak days.
Are you talking about "take a number" to get in the land or to ride one of the two attractions?

CJR

Didn't Universal do something like this for Potter? I had no interest so didn't pay attention, but I thought I read that.

I'd prefer they do both: reserved FP+, and take-a-number concept for standby.

I want to say they did for Diagon Alley, I don't recall it for Hogsmeade. What I'm talking about though, is the same thing as that. The only difference is that Universal wasn't using Universal Express and Disney will be using FP+.

Are you talking about "take a number" to get in the land or to ride one of the two attractions?

The land. However, it could also be used at the attractions, or any thing that has a standby line. They've attempted it at Soarin' before, for example.

To better clarify, FP+ is a reserved window of time, which can be booked in advance of your visit. A take a number system would require that you be in the park to get a number, so not in advance, and wouldn't be stuck to a certain window of time. Unless a ride breaks down during your window, a FP+ reservation won't get pushed back later in the day, a take a number system could move people forward or backward depending how quickly the physical standby line moves.

It would be more in line with the original FP than FP+. However, your number is a place in line and not a return time, it can move forward or backward depending on operating circumstances.

Historically, you get a pager that lights up when it's time to return, similar to the ones they use at the table service restaurants, but I could see them using the My Disney Experience app instead and just hope people pay attention to any notification, so that they can stretch further into the park. A pager could be possible though, because I believe they did that at Disney Springs with Santa, which is also a large amount of space.

What I'm talking about would not be an easy task at this scale, but they have plenty of time to figure out a good process so that the entire park stays relatively busy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A virtual line is good if, unlike FP, you don't also have a standby line. That gives Disney the opportunity to put a hard limit on the number of people entering the ride or land or park per day.

The sticking point is distributing those virtual line tickets. If you have to show up in person, then it creates the madness of people camping overnight and a huge crowd in the morning. That kind of chaos is what the virtual line ticket was supposed to avoid. Not only that, you have people going through the hassle of showing up at 5 AM and finding out all the virtual line tickets are gone.

So, then Disney can distribute them online, like they do with FP+s. The tech is there. People know if they can get in or not. The angry mob that can't get in are sitting as individuals in their homes rather than as a mob at the gate screaming at CMs. But how do you distribute them online? People with Disney resorts getting preferential treatment? Randomized lottery?

The best solution would be to randomly place golden virtual line tickets in Mickey Bars.

britain

It’s really not doable. I know we like to complain and joke about the lack of maintenance around here, but these attractions do require in some cases several hours of downtime every day to perform necessary maintenance. 24 hour operation is really something that can’t be done except for the occasional special event where even then it is not truly 24 hours. When the magic kingdom has held 24 hour events many attractions have opened late or closed early to accommodate required maintenance and there are periods of closure between the day before and the day after.

Didn't both Star Tours and Splash Mountain at Disneyland have grand openings where they stayed open 72 hours straight?

peter11435

Didn't both Star Tours and Splash Mountain at Disneyland have grand openings where they stayed open 72 hours straight?
Again there’s a difference between a one off special event that can be planned for accordingly and continued standard operation. Additionally star tour is multiple seperate ride systems allowing them to take down one or more at a time while still remaining operational. This was done extensively with FOP where one or more theaters may close early to begin maintenance procedures and then another one or two theaters may open later the next day to accommodate completing their procedures.

peter11435

Not only that but I remember at least one (maybe 2) 24-hour special days at Disneyland and WDW. (I remember the weird feeling of riding PeopleMover as the sun began to come up)
Yes, both parks have done 24 hour events. But they were special events and not standard operation. All attractions were closed immediately before and after the 24 hour event and many attractions were not open for the full 24 hours to accomocate necessary maintenance.

Mike S

Yes, both parks have done 24 hour events. But they were special events and not standard operation. All attractions were closed immediately before and after the 24 hour event and many attractions were not open for the full 24 hours to accomocate necessary maintenance.
So who says they can’t do that same exact thing just for the grand opening day or maybe a bit after?

I think they’re going to need it.

peter11435

So who says they can’t do that same exact thing just for the grand opening day or maybe a bit after?

I think they’re going to need it.

They very well may. I’ve never said they won’t pull extended hours or that they won’t do special extended days.

Another poster suggested continuous operation for a 12 hour split. This is simply not possible.

HauntedMansionFLA

A virtual line is good if, unlike FP, you don't also have a standby line. That gives Disney the opportunity to put a hard limit on the number of people entering the ride or land or park per day.

The sticking point is distributing those virtual line tickets. If you have to show up in person, then it creates the madness of people camping overnight and a huge crowd in the morning. That kind of chaos is what the virtual line ticket was supposed to avoid. Not only that, you have people going through the hassle of showing up at 5 AM and finding out all the virtual line tickets are gone.

So, then Disney can distribute them online, like they do with FP+s. The tech is there. People know if they can get in or not. The angry mob that can't get in are sitting as individuals in their homes rather than as a mob at the gate screaming at CMs. But how do you distribute them online? People with Disney resorts getting preferential treatment? Randomized lottery?

The best solution would be to randomly place golden virtual line tickets in Mickey Bars.
They didn’t do this with TSL. I said everyone waits in line, the old fashion way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom