Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
First come first serve and everyone waiting in the same line. It’s the fairest you can get.

It's also the hardest on ops. People attempting to camp/sleep overnight in the parking lot or showing up too early and traffic backed up on the roads.

Huge, wide crowds blocking security, entrance, walkways. People just wanting to go to DHS without bothering with the lines for SWL will also be frustrated.

Well, poor DL will be the test case.

iowamomof4

They should keep DHS open for 24 hours, but split into two 12-hour "blocks." Each block would require its own ticket, as if it were its own day, and AP holders would not be allowed to visit during both blocks in a single day (unless they purchase a separate ticket for one of the blocks).

They'd have to do something like 8- or 10-hour blocks just to have time to clear one group out and empty the garbage cans before letting the next group in.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
I know this appears to be a popular view among some on boards. I would hate it. And I suspect that as much as Disney has set the expectations of locking in 3 FP per day, a good number of people would be pretty peeved.

I equally would be upset. I booked a club level room for after Xmas hoping to get a 90 day window. I will cancel the trip if I can't get fast passes.

Mike S

It's also the hardest on ops. People attempting to camp/sleep overnight in the parking lot or showing up too early and traffic backed up on the roads.

Huge, wide crowds blocking security, entrance, walkways. People just wanting to go to DHS without bothering with the lines for SWL will also be frustrated.

Well, poor DL will be the test case.
It’s Star Wars. It’s going to happen regardless.

HauntedMansionFLA

They should keep DHS open for 24 hours, but split into two 12-hour "blocks." Each block would require its own ticket, as if it were its own day, and AP holders would not be allowed to visit during both blocks in a single day (unless they purchase a separate ticket for one of the blocks).
Upcharge Special Events - open 24/7 would put a strain on staff or their wouldn’t be enough staff to avoid burnout / turnover.

RSoxNo1

We will post a new record for waiting in line......although, Flight of Passage will be a tough one to beat. My favorite is:

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Longest Posted Wait Time: 230 mins
Longest Verified Wait Time: 160 minutes, January 2, 2015
I waited 4 hours for Flight of Passage on the Saturday of opening weekend before bailing before the lab to go to dinner.

peter11435

Well, of course no CM would be working 24 hour shifts. And, obviously, extra staff would need to be hired. But I think it would be very doable.
It’s really not doable. I know we like to complain and joke about the lack of maintenance around here, but these attractions do require in some cases several hours of downtime every day to perform necessary maintenance. 24 hour operation is really something that can’t be done except for the occasional special event where even then it is not truly 24 hours. When the magic kingdom has held 24 hour events many attractions have opened late or closed early to accommodate required maintenance and there are periods of closure between the day before and the day after.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

It’s really not doable. I know we like to complain and joke about the lack of maintenance around here, but these attractions do require in some cases several hours of downtime every day to perform necessary maintenance. 24 hour operation is really something that can’t be done except for the occasional special event where even then it is not truly 24 hours. When the magic kingdom has held 24 hour events many attractions have opened late or closed early to accommodate required maintenance and there are periods of closure between the day before and the day after.

I understand this completely. If those who don't normally deal with maintenance and logistics and preventative and planned maintenance actions, they could never know the complexity of upending a normal maintenance cycle to do a one-off 24 hour event. It would take months of rejiggering maintenance schedules to do something of this caliber in where all attractions could be open at the same time for a full 24 hours. You'd have to re-baseline everything and start from scratch on staggering out maintenance actions on them. oof.

Smooth

Ok... I get that. So, do all the attractions in WDW have a maintenance crew that works 6-8 hours every night?

Smooth

Not necessarily 6-8 hours. But every attraction has crews that perform required maintenance and testing every night. How long depends on the attraction and the day.
Got it. So, that being said, it would be doable to at least have very extended hours for the new Star Wars land.

peter11435

Got it. So, that being said, it would be doable to at least have very extended hours for the new Star Wars land.
I have no doubt that the studios will see extended hours when Star Wars opens just like animal kingdom did with Pandora. To what extent depends on many factors. Even if the the attraction only required 4 hours of maintenance time you would still be looking at about a minimum of 7 hours required between park close and park open.

CJR

IMO, they should do a "take a number system", where you will get notified by Disney's app when to go get in line, and enjoy the rest of the park until that time. That way people aren't standing around forever.

I will say this though, Florida is way better off than California. At least we're looking at the cooler late fall months and not June or July. The thought of standing out there for hours in 100 degree weather is even more unappealing. Then again, people could possibly be doing that in 2020 since I'm sure demand will hold up, especially on peak days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom