Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The most magical of the trackless vehicles is one that no one thinks of... Tower of Terror! We put a lot of faith in that hummer. It doesn't look as great because we don't actually see it, but, that thing goes from being an elevator to a trackless vehicle back to an elevator that is in free fall. Pretty impressive. We just don't ever see it from the outside. We see the rider section only. The Modern Miracles show showed just one part of it.

Tower of Terror is different then the type of trackless we are talking about. Tower follows a guide wire in the floor. Honey Hut, Mystic Manor and Rat do not.

matt9112

the fact that the Cali version will have been opened for awhile and that new project at Uni looks like a huge draw will help. But still it will be crazy.

for domestic visitors yes....cali doesn't get nearly the same volume of europeans and sorh Americans that we do. i honestly don't think the small window of cali being open and florida being closed still will affect crowds in any massive way. just my two cents.

twebber55

for domestic visitors yes....cali doesn't get nearly the same volume of europeans and sorh Americans that we do. i honestly don't think the small window of cali being open and florida being closed still will affect crowds in any massive way. just my two cents.
i disagree not that there is a way to determine that

DisneyDodo

WDW will be initially overrun by it's own very large base of WDW fanatics.

DisneyLand gets the privilege of dealing with the initial very large base of SW fanatics who generally aren't Disney fans as well as the ones who are also Disney fans.
And then you will have the super duper Star Wars fans who must go to both SWGEs, despite them being essentially identical. Although the hope is that their experience at DL will be so unpleasant that they think twice about visiting WDW’s.

TP2000

You can find a small segment of any trackless ride where the trackless tech wouldn't make sense. We have only seen a tiny part of this ride, so there may be other area where the trackless tech makes much more sense. Maybe they are using some sort of un-conventional load process that trackless makes possible.

It would seem to me that the newest trackless ride in America likely gives a big clue on what the Resistance ride vehicles are going to be doing inside some of those show sets. Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters at DCA has been open for several years now, and does a trackless wireless thing where each car takes a different path around the dancefloor and then engages in choreographed routines with the other cars.

Obviously the Resistance ride isn't going to be a silly B Ticket spinner set to seasonal music (this is the Halloween version, and there's a Christmas version and a regular version), and the Resistance rides are bigger and seat 8 people instead of 2, but there seems to be a lot of potential in a ride system like this with a bunch of troop transports racing around a scary spaceship.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Tower of Terror is different then the type of trackless we are talking about. Tower follows a guide wire in the floor. Honey Hut, Mystic Manor and Rat do not.
Doesn't really matter what method is used to guide it, the fact is that it is trackless and that was the point of calling it trackless. Whether it picks up a signal from the floor generated by a computer in another room or an on-board computer it is still guided without the use of visible tracks and is called upon to be far more precise in its movements. Over think it if you must, a rose by any other name. The Rat... well that was a total fail in my book. Three attempts in one day and was never able to ride because it broke down all three times within a three hour period. Never got on it. Wonderful technology that was. Real impressive. I have seen You Tube, videos of HH and MM and even though I will concede that the ride has much more to see and add to the story, I am unimpressed with what it actually does. Going along making corners, spinning around are anything but impressive in my mind. Good show yes, but, the ride system is meh! It's the rest of the show that is impressive the vehicle is just a part of it. ToT, on the other hand is in the pitch black for the vast majority of the ride, so the focus is actually more on the vehicle then anything else until the few show scenes actually materialize.

matt9112

the only thing saving this land and this park is the fact that there will be two of these

two very different guests....
i disagree not that there is a way to determine that

demographics wont change decades of trends for two rides. initially sure there will be a surge at DL of die hard SW fans but there not the nornal WDW visitor. here in the swamp you will have all the foreign visitors you always have but its now plausible they plan all there trips around this...WDW crowding is a nightmare today....after this opens...whats worse than a nightnare?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Doesn't really matter what method is used to guide it, the fact is that it is trackless and that was the point of calling it trackless. Whether it picks up a signal from the floor generated by a computer in another room or an on-board computer it is still guided without the use of visible tracks and is called upon to be far more precise in its movements. Over think it if you must, a rose by any other name. The Rat... well that was a total fail in my book. Three attempts in one day and was never able to ride because it broke down all three times within a three hour period. Never got on it. Wonderful technology that was. Real impressive. I have seen You Tube, videos of HH and MM and even though I will concede that the ride has much more to see and add to the story, I am unimpressed with what it actually does. Going along making corners, spinning around are anything but impressive in my mind. Good show yes, but, the ride system is meh! It's the rest of the show that is impressive the vehicle is just a part of it. ToT, on the other hand is in the pitch black for the vast majority of the ride, so the focus is actually more on the vehicle then anything else until the few show scenes actually materialize.

Actually the method matters a lot. Even though we say Tower of Terror is trackless, it is on a track, just one that we can't see. True trackless vehicles can be programmed to move anywhere within the space thus can do things that would be difficult if not impossible with a wire guided system. Take a look at the video of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters above, you can't do that with a wire guided system.

Mike S

It would seem to me that the newest trackless ride in America likely gives a big clue on what the Resistance ride vehicles are going to be doing inside some of those show sets. Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters at DCA has been open for several years now, and does a trackless wireless thing where each car takes a different path around the dancefloor and then engages in choreographed routines with the other cars.

Obviously the Resistance ride isn't going to be a silly C Ticket spinner set to seasonal music (this is the Halloween version, and there's a Christmas version and a regular version), and the Resistance rides are bigger and seat 8 people instead of 2, but there seems to be a lot of potential in a ride system like this with a bunch of troop transports racing around a scary spaceship.

Silly? I wish all C Tickets were as fun as that one is. That’s what Buzz should’ve been.

Goofyernmost

Actually the method matters a lot. Even though we say Tower of Terror is trackless, it is on a track, just one that we can't see. True trackless vehicles can be programmed to move anywhere within the space thus can do things that would be difficult if not impossible with a wire guided system. Take a look at the video of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters above, you can't do that with a wire guided system.
I'm not going to continue this meaningless, not to mention reality-less conversation. If there is no physical track.. there is no physical track regardless of what it is that controls the actions of the vehicle. Why are you and others insisting on nitpicking this subject to death. You can say it whatever way makes you happy, it doesn't change anything. So for the benefit of not stalling this thread any longer I will let it go. As soon as you can tell me how not having a track means it has one then it will be your victory. I tried to join in on a conversation with a harmless post about the ToT being Trackless. You had to twist it around to what your definition of trackless is, fine I'm sure that the new generation of trackless does everything on it's own and has no "hidden track" whether it be on- board computer which gets is timing signals from external means or it has tiny sensors embedded in the floor. Implying that it's a miracle of artificial script following intelligence, that does more, somehow magically then ToT, U of E, Dino and others. It's not exactly a new idea albeit a newer technology. Whatever system is used, it is still controlled in its movements externally be it wiring in the floor or signals to a computer. I would fully expect that the movements and advancements in the technology means that more movement is possible. That doesn't take away the fact that the precision required to release it self from the elevator, meander through the sets and locate and lock itself into place on another platform that is going to drop at high speed is just as impressive if not more then spinning around in an open space.
The 5th D and pre unload are when the AGV demonstrates its trackless capabilities and neither are pitch black though.
Yes, there are areas and my example was used just to point out how most of the unwashed absorb what was happening. Most of the show it was not obvious what was guiding it. That to me is the meaning of trackless without being all that obvious about it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not going to continue this meaningless, not to mention reality-less conversation. If there is no physical track.. there is no physical track regardless of what it is that controls the actions of the vehicle. Why are you and others insisting on nitpicking this subject to death. You can say it whatever way makes you happy, it doesn't change anything. So for the benefit of not stalling this thread any longer I will let it go. As soon as you can tell me how not having a track means it has one then it will be your victory. I tried to join in on a conversation with a harmless post about the ToT being Trackless. You had to twist it around to what your definition of trackless is, fine I'm sure that the new generation of trackless does everything on it's own and has no "hidden track" whether it be on- board computer which gets is timing signals from external means or it has tiny sensors embedded in the floor. Implying that it's a miracle of artificial script following intelligence, that does more, somehow magically then ToT, U of E, Dino and others. It's not exactly a new idea albeit a newer technology. Whatever system is used, it is still controlled in its movements externally be it wiring in the floor or signals to a computer. I would fully expect that the movements and advancements in the technology means that more movement is possible. That doesn't take away the fact that the precision required to release it self from the elevator, meander through the sets and locate and lock itself into place on another platform that is going to drop at high speed is just as impressive if not more then spinning around in an open space.

Yes, there are areas and my example was used just to point out how most of the unwashed absorb what was happening. Most of the show it was not obvious what was guiding it. That to me is the meaning of trackless without being all that obvious about it.

The bottom line is that a trackless system like one used in Honey Hut, for example, can do things that a wire guided system like Tower of Terror can't. For this reason it matters which ride system a ride is using because it gives us an idea of what the right might be able to do.

Also, at no point did I ever say Tower of Terror wasn't impressive technology, it is, it's just different then other newer ride systems that we also call trackless.

Last edited:

Incomudro

The most magical of the trackless vehicles is one that no one thinks of... Tower of Terror! We put a lot of faith in that hummer. It doesn't look as great because we don't actually see it, but, that thing goes from being an elevator to a trackless vehicle back to an elevator that is in free fall. Pretty impressive. We just don't ever see it from the outside. We see the rider section only. The Modern Miracles show showed just one part of it.

The moment in ToT when our elevator rode out and went forward before engaging in the drop area was one of the most amazing moments in my Disney experiences.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

Track, no track... who cares. Is the ride fun? We will find out.
Haunted mansion track is boring, pirates track is tired, space mountain track is older then me. Yet they are all fun rides though.
I bet these two Star Wars rides knock it out of the park and 90% of fans will love them.
That is if you can get into the park and brave the long lines. First few months of Galaxys Edge won’t be fun to attend in my opinion.

Goofyernmost

Track, no track... who cares. Is the ride fun? We will find out.
Haunted mansion track is boring, pirates track is tired, space mountain track is older then me. Yet they are all fun rides though.
I bet these two Star Wars rides knock it out of the park and 90% of fans will love them.
That is if you can get into the park and brave the long lines. First few months of Galaxys Edge won’t be fun to attend in my opinion.
I only mentioned it because even back in the 80's we had trackless rides (UoE) and in 90's the technology existed for ToT along with the continuation of UoE's system in TGMR. I didn't look for this argument, I just talked about how terrific ToT was (and still is) and pointed out that it was a trackless system. I didn't mention whether or not the guidance system was more versatile since then, because, of course it is. But, it seems like every time I post something people think I am fighting them. If I'm paranoid... I certainly am not alone.

brb1006

I only mentioned it because even back in the 80's we had trackless rides (UoE) and in 90's the technology existed for ToT along with the continuation of UoE's system in TGMR. I didn't look for this argument, I just talked about how terrific ToT was (and still is) and pointed out that it was a trackless system. I didn't mention whether or not the guidance system was more versatile since then, because, of course it is. But, it seems like every time I post something people think I am fighting them. If I'm paranoid... I certainly am not alone.
Trackless ride as a ride where the vehicles move on the floor. Tower of Terror doesn't count!

CinematicFusion

It’s all good.
All that counts is the quality of the ride.
Indiana Jones in DL and Dinosaur in AK have the same track system. One ride is amazing, the other is decent.
I can’t imagine this Star Wars ride not being epic. Hopefully it’s so good the audience doesn’t think about track design. If the audience is thinking about the track during the rides story.... there is a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom