Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bhg469

1- How do you know the attraction is "extremely linear"? We know very little specifics about it

2- There are no tracks inside SW ships. That's enough reason
1 fair point... I just assumed based on the one snippet. That scene looked like it traveled a path and of the only need for trackless is to move a little left on one right through and turn a little right the next, it's not really impressive to me as long as the story is the same. As far as your second point.. why would you need to notice a track if there is one? There are ways to hide the fact that you are on a track.

MickeyMinnieMom

Two rides in Galaxy's Edge. Only two rides. Just like Pandora, expect 2 to 4 hour waits to get on those attractions.
Actually, for Pandora, it was 6 and 3 hours. And it was like that for a full year.

Expect SWL to be at least 6 and 6 with several hours tacked on just to get into the land.

Before I saw MP’s quote I was going to chime in that I’d definitely expect the waits in SWGE to exceed Pandora’s. Was just there Dec 22 and the FoP wait was 4hrs and NRJ over 2hrs this long after opening — granted, during a busy time.

I’ll be really interested to see how they handle the crowds... we’re set to be there for W& D wknd in 2019, and summer 2020. I’m expecting the summer to still be IN-SANE. Setting expectations for our giant group of SW fans now... :)

Timothy_Q

1 fair point... I just assumed based on the one snippet. That scene looked like it traveled a path and of the only need for trackless is to move a little left on one right through and turn a little right the next, it's not really impressive to me as long as the story is the same. As far as your second point.. why would you need to notice a track if there is one? There are ways to hide the fact that you are on a track.
I don't understand this discussion.

How would the ride be better by not making it trackless?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You can find a small segment of any trackless ride where the trackless tech wouldn't make sense. We have only seen a tiny part of this ride, so there may be other area where the trackless tech makes much more sense. Maybe they are using some sort of un-conventional load process that trackless makes possible.

IMDREW

After watching that amazing SW:GE preview yesterday I’m wondering if there’ll be much of a thrill factor in the battle escape ride. Ofcourse the huge and amazing sets, story and aa’s will be thrilling all by themselves, but will the ride, as in the vehicle, be thrilling as well? I know it’s the same ridesystem as Mystic Manor and Ratatouille, but those didn’t do anything thrilling imo.

@marni1971 could you shed some light on this for me? Or should I expect a same level of thrill for the vehicles as those other already existing rides? For now the ride comes across as just a huge (but undoubtedly beautiful and amazing) darkride. Which would’nt be the worst thing I guess, but maybe not what the majority of star wars fans are expecting/wanting.

Magic Feather

WDW can expand into the Muppets area and should be able to expand into the new parking lot in the future. Disneyland is limited to Toontown.
What about Indiana Jones Stunt Show and the land behind it? That and the Muppets area will be a nice expansion of Star Wars while keeping Star Tours.
Wrong direction for expansion. At last it was explained to me, if/when GE expands, it will be in the opposite direction. Grand Ace is being treated as a “hard border” of sorts.

After watching that amazing SW:GE preview yesterday I’m wondering if there’ll be much of a thrill factor in the battle escape ride. Ofcourse the huge and amazing sets, story and aa’s will be thrilling all by themselves, but will the ride, as in the vehicle, be thrilling as well? I know it’s the same ridesystem as Mystic Manor and Ratatouille, but those didn’t do anything thrilling imo.

@marni1971 could you shed some light on this for me? Or should I expect a same level of thrill for the vehicles as those other already existing rides? For now the ride comes across as just a huge (but undoubtedly beautiful and amazing) darkride. Which would’nt be the worst thing I guess, but maybe not what the majority of star wars fans are expecting/wanting.
Thrill factor (as in forces) will be minimal, but the “thrill” of riding through a Star Destroyer, past a legion of Stormtroopers, etc. will be immense.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes the Falcon is built to what would be full scale, the ones they made for the film that were classed as full sized, as in you could walk through it into the various areas of the Falcon are what the Ride one is based on.

bshah365

One thing I love about a trackless ride system is that feeling of mystery.... I don’t know where I’m going... my vehicle can literally go anywhere it wants with no constrictions boundaries (that I know of).. but after a while... I’m afraid the aged tire marks on the floor would diminish that feeling...

Not to be that guy.. but I would love it if the flooring of resistance got a glaze or coat to prevent tire marks from forming at the surface.. it’s a small detail that would really separate this attraction from being just a ride to a fully immersive experience. It’s something I wish imagineering took in consideration w Mystic/Hunny hunt, etc.

yensidtlaw1969

A ride doesn’t need to “go fast” to be thrilling. A threatening environment with an element of danger and escape is all that is needed. The Great Escape but from a Star Destroyer and in the hands of Disney Imagineering sounds amazing no matter what.
I concur - I was about to use Pirates as a comparison, but not knowing how the mild thrills of the drop compare to any features of Rise of the Resistance I'll instead suggest that one look to the way The Haunted Mansion has been thrilling guests for ages without offering a single physical thrill for the guest. It's all in the immense, thorough, spectacular design.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The ride effects and visuals will be thrilling.

Trackless rides have a huge potential imo. But it's all about the execution. Ratatouille is a great ride, but I don't really feel like that ride used a lot of the potential of the ride system. Sure, some parts wouldn't be possible with another ride system. But going from scene to scene with a group of vehicles, spinning over a path in rather narrow scenes with almost no other possible way to go doesn't really feel like the optimal use of the system for me. Probably also because some other elements in Ratatouille bother me, things I expect to be absent in RotR.

If they make a ride with huge sets where you roam through, we're talking about something completely different. Just a random idea to explain: imagine a big scene where you're able to see the enemy preparing to attack while you're safe in the background, looking for a way to escape when danger appears and your vehicle has to hide quickly (not going to try to use Star Wars elements since I'm not familiar enough with the movies but you get it: the typical blockbuster movie scene brought to life). Lots of possibilities where they could use the system the way it's meant to be for me: having a ride where you really feel like you're witnessing a dynamic adventure without having to use screens etc to pull this off. That's just a wish of an enthusiastic fan who doesn't know how all this would work out in real life when scenes have to reset in time for the next riders though. :D

Does anyone know more about the possibilities of this ride system for the path it has to follow? Not asking specifically for RotR, but would it possible to use special elements like small drops, elevators etc? Things parks would probably avoid at this moment since it only adds more risks. Still interesting because this might be a way to add a "physical thrill" or make it even more unpredictable in the future.

Oh and indeed, let's hope they don't run in to the same issues as they have with Rat in Paris. Replacing the floor of a ride that relies mostly on screens might be easier than when there are more physical sets involved. That way we also get rid of the marks the vehicles made on the floor though, or at least for a while.

IMDREW

I had worries for a while, but now I think this should be comparable to Shanghai Pirates for thrill. That ride is so amazing and the boat does really cool things but theres also not much “thrill” (if we’re calling it that) in the vehicle besides that one last backwards drop. I enjoyed that ride immensely! Thanks for everyones anwsers btw :) can’t wait!

brb1006

One thing I love about a trackless ride system is that feeling of mystery.... I don’t know where I’m going... my vehicle can literally go anywhere it wants with no constrictions boundaries (that I know of).. but after a while... I’m afraid the aged tire marks on the floor would diminish that feeling...

Not to be that guy.. but I would love it if the flooring of resistance got a glaze or coat to prevent tire marks from forming at the surface.. it’s a small detail that would really separate this attraction from being just a ride to a fully immersive experience. It’s something I wish imagineering took in consideration w Mystic/Hunny hunt, etc.
I think Hunny hunt can get away with that since most of the ride is dark and the 100 Acre Woods section is colored sky blue to give the illusion that guests are moving on a water pond and the track marks look like you are moving.

Goofyernmost

I think Hunny hunt can get away with that since most of the ride is dark and the 100 Acre Woods section is colored sky blue to give the illusion that guests are moving on a water pond and the track marks look like you are moving.
The most magical of the trackless vehicles is one that no one thinks of... Tower of Terror! We put a lot of faith in that hummer. It doesn't look as great because we don't actually see it, but, that thing goes from being an elevator to a trackless vehicle back to an elevator that is in free fall. Pretty impressive. We just don't ever see it from the outside. We see the rider section only. The Modern Miracles show showed just one part of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom