Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Lensman

It's really no different than any other service access in the other 3 parks.

AK:
View attachment 299301

Epcot:
View attachment 299302

MK:
View attachment 299303
Is there another backstage-to-backstage crossing in any of the parks? I wouldn't think there would be at MK because of the utilidoor system. Epcot is designed with periphery access and there's the tunnel to Communicore. Not sure about DAK - especially Discovery Island.

I suspect that's where a lot of the concern is coming from - that Disney previously put a lot of thought, went through a fair amount of trouble, and spent a lot of money to avoid having service access be visible to guests.

BTW, is this why they need that trash compactor that we saw in some construction pictures? :)

Movielover

Is there another backstage-to-backstage crossing in any of the parks? I wouldn't think there would be at MK because of the utilidoor system. Epcot is designed with periphery access and there's the tunnel to Communicore. Not sure about DAK - especially Discovery Island.

Is this why they need that trash compactor that we saw in some construction pictures? :)

The Main Street USA accesses are, the rest of the parks have a much wider footprint allowing more space between access points. This particular one in DHS is just an unfortunate side effect of the radical expansion that occurred. However I don't think people should be distracted by them considering most will focus on the giant landscape of SW:GE directly before them. If you are focusing on these gates as a detriment you are essentially doing the same thing as sitting in a movie theater with your back to the screen focusing on the rear wall. You are basically staring at curtains.

Lensman

The Main Street USA accesses are, the rest of the parks have a much wider footprint allowing more space between access points. This particular one in DHS is just an unfortunate side effect of the radical expansion that occurred. However I don't think people should be distracted by them considering most will focus on the giant landscape of SW:GE directly before them. If you are focusing on these gates as a detriment you are essentially doing the same thing as sitting in a movie theater with your back to the screen focusing on the rear wall. You are basically staring at curtains.
I have to admit that I always pay attention to such details, making sure that the collars match the cuffs and such.

Well, hopefully these will be nicely themed gates - fitting in yet staying in the background.

Timothy_Q

It's interesting that it seems each SWL will use a different entrance as it's "main entrance", at least for the beginning.

DHS will be through the Battle Escape side, while DL will be through the Falcon side.

I wonder how that'll impact guest flow through the lands, and which ride will get bigger lines

BrianLo

The green area is where I thought they would create the entrance for the SW hotel guests. But now I see they already built that berm there so it's definitely not there. But IMHO it would have been a perfect park entrance for the new hotel cause it's already designed as one.

Anyone know what they'll do with the part between green and yellow in DHS? Will it just be a dead end? Cause I'd hate to lose that beautiful building design.

There looks to still be a pathway to get over there that doesn't seem to quite exist in the DL equivalent. So I wouldn't worry.

RAXIP

Is there another backstage-to-backstage crossing in any of the parks?
Does this same spot, before the closure of Streets of America, count?
E388687B-CCFE-4176-A77A-26AA23112D15.jpeg

peter11435

I suspect that's where a lot of the concern is coming from - that Disney previously put a lot of thought, went through a fair amount of trouble, and spent a lot of money to avoid having service access be visible to guests.

BTW, is this why they need that trash compactor that we saw in some construction pictures? :)

There is a very similar set up at the fantasyland to Frontierland connection at disneyland.

While not directly across from each other there are backstage areas with access gates on the interior of every park except Epcot.

nickys

Premium Member
There is a very similar set up at the fantasyland to Frontierland connection at disneyland.

While not directly across from each other there are backstage areas with access gates on the interior of every park except Epcot.

And Epcot also has the bridge for the barges which crosses over the main path. Which kind of is the same thing, no?

Lensman

I am mainly looking for examples where they need to cross a guest area in order to access or supply a shop, restaurant, or attraction. A lot has been made of the utilidor system at DL/MK and the tunnel to Communicore as a means of backstage access to seemingly standalone shop or area without impinging on guest areas. Is this Fantasyland-to-Frontierland connection this? I would have thought they'd have service access through the utilidors.

peter11435

I am mainly looking for examples where they need to cross a guest area in order to access or supply a shop, restaurant, or attraction. A lot has been made of the utilidor system at DL/MK and the tunnel to Communicore as a means of backstage access to seemingly standalone shop or area without impinging on guest areas. Is this Fantasyland-to-Frontierland connection this? I would have thought they'd have service access through the utilidors.
Disneyland has no utilidors.

The Fantasyland to Frontierland path is exactly what you are thinking.

There are several instance across the parks where restaurants and shops have no backstage access without crossing onstage.

The gates would be opened over night to move vehicles and supplies but would likely never be used during park hours.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Drive-in and Commissary at DHS. Constant caravan of giant carts from back stage past the Jedi Academy to get to them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Most of Discovery Island at AK has this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom