Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I rode Pirates of the Caribbean last week in Shanghai. Hands down this is the greatest ride Disney have ever produced. Just a simply stunning mix of live animatronics and screens. The effect was stunning, and it was a good lengthy attraction.

My point is - will one of the new Star Wars attractions be a version of this Shanghai Pirates ride?

Close, but no water. :)

The Battle Escape ride will use a Local Positioning System to move a car around like Shanghai's PotC moves the boat around. Look up a YouTube video of Mystic Manor in Hong Kong or Ratatouille in Paris. Battle Escape uses that system but will ramp up the effects to 11, like in SPotC.

There are rumblings, according to insiders, to take the Shanghai PotC boad ride mechanics and replicate it at WDW with a different IP, likely Indy and then put it in DAK or DHS... maybe.

EricsBiscuit

I rode Pirates of the Caribbean last week in Shanghai. Hands down this is the greatest ride Disney have ever produced. Just a simply stunning mix of live animatronics and screens. The effect was stunning, and it was a good lengthy attraction.

My point is - will one of the new Star Wars attractions be a version of this Shanghai Pirates ride?
No but there are rumors of an Indy ride at DHS or DAK that might use the same ride system.

britain

The Battle Escape ride will use a Local Positioning System to move a car around like Shanghai's PotC moves the boat around. Look up a YouTube video of Mystic Manor in Hong Kong or Ratatouille in Paris. Battle Escape uses that system but will ramp up the effects to 11, like in SPotC.

There are rumblings, according to insiders, to take the Shanghai PotC boad ride mechanics and replicate it at WDW with a different IP, likely Indy and then put it in DAK or DHS... maybe.

As cool as the Shanghai pirates system is, it still doesn't seem fast paced enough for an Indy style adventure. It's like an water omnimover, which is good for cinematically viewing events, but not really for having events happen TO you.

But I digress... Yay SW:GE!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looking at the great article BlogMickey put together on the Millennium Falcon projection cones, I figured I'd throw out possible capacity #s.

If @marni1971 or any other insiders can confirm some of these assumptions it would be appreciate.

4: Number of "centrifuges"
7: Number of cockpits per centrifuge
6: Number of guests per cockpit
168: Total system capacity at any one time.

We've been told that the rotation of the centrifuges is done with the motivation of improving throughput. Not knowing the intensity of the ride (and associated restraints) or the attraction length, predicting the cycle time is a bit tougher, so below is a wide range of possible capacities.

5 minutes: 2016 guests per hour
6 minutes: 1680 guests per hour
7 minutes: 1440 guests per hour
8 minutes: 1260 guests per hour
9 minutes: 1120 guests per hour

You can see some of the dome segments in the latest Bioreconstruct aerial...

1524272418948.png

culturenthrills

It also helps that the same team that worked on Shanghai Pirates is working on the Battle Escape ride.

Old Mouseketeer

Is that really accurate? This is the first I've heard of PotC using LPS. I thought with the dual underwater track system that control would be hardwired through the track to each of the "tractors" pulling the boat (or whatever they're called). Can anyone shed light on this?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is that really accurate? This is the first I've heard of PotC using LPS. I thought with the dual underwater track system that control would be hardwired through the track to each of the "tractors" pulling the boat (or whatever they're called). Can anyone shed light on this?

I didn't mean to imply that SPotC was LPS. More like the seemingly free movement. Different mechanics same-ish result.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes. Potc Shang is on a series of track and two bogies that can each run on independent tracks.

EricsBiscuit

As cool as the Shanghai pirates system is, it still doesn't seem fast paced enough for an Indy style adventure. It's like an water omnimover, which is good for cinematically viewing events, but not really for having events happen TO you.

But I digress... Yay SW:GE!
Not true. It can be fast. The last "drop" at the end of the ride is done using the magnets because there's no lift. And there's other parts of the ride where you're really whipped around.

TP2000

Looking at the great article BlogMickey put together on the Millennium Falcon projection cones, I figured I'd throw out possible capacity #s.

If @marni1971 or any other insiders can confirm some of these assumptions it would be appreciate.

4: Number of "centrifuges"
7: Number of cockpits per centrifuge
6: Number of guests per cockpit
168: Total system capacity at any one time.

We've been told that the rotation of the centrifuges is done with the motivation of improving throughput. Not knowing the intensity of the ride (and associated restraints) or the attraction length, predicting the cycle time is a bit tougher, so below is a wide range of possible capacities.

5 minutes: 2016 guests per hour
6 minutes: 1680 guests per hour
7 minutes: 1440 guests per hour
8 minutes: 1260 guests per hour
9 minutes: 1120 guests per hour

I hate math, but I love this kind of stuff.

I would bet two churros that the hourly capacity of the Millenium Falcon ride is somewhere around the 1680 of a six minute ride experience.

And that's assuming everything goes perfectly and all six seats are filled in every cockpit, which they won't be. The real-world and dealing-with-clueless-tourists-and-entitled-AP's reality of the per hour capacity is probably somewhere around 1550 per hour.

That's not good, to be honest. :confused:

Last edited:

britain

Not true. It can be fast. The last "drop" at the end of the ride is done using the magnets because there's no lift. And there's other parts of the ride where you're really whipped around.

Physics dictates that you cannot be whipped around in water faster than you can in air (like on the EMV Indy Jeep or a mine cart roller coaster).

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, April 21, 2018. The earth on top of the Grand Avenue tunnel has been "forested" with trees recently, completely obscuring the Star Wars Land rockwork. The addition of these trees not only separates the sight lines between the two lands, but from the Grand Avenue side it gives the appearance that a hillside exists over the tunnel, looking more like the Los Angeles it was built to resemble.

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

Skibum1970

Photo update as of Saturday, April 21, 2018. The earth on top of the Grand Avenue tunnel has been "forested" with trees recently, completely obscuring the Star Wars Land rockwork. The addition of these trees not only separates the sight lines between the two lands, but from the Grand Avenue side it gives the appearance that a hillside exists over the tunnel, looking more like the Los Angeles it was built to resemble.

View attachment 279452

View attachment 279453

Ah yes, however, when I'm in Star Wars land will I see them? Obviously, those are Earth trees and I don't know if our trees are found on other planets. That would totally destroy the illusion for me and I couldn't get past the fact that Earth trees are showing up in Star Wars land.

I might break down and throw a regular tantrum in the hopes of scoring a FP+.

I am just joking. I like the addition of trees in the parks. Makes them feel alive, especially when water is used in waterfalls or streams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom