Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

trainplane3

AMD GPUs are worse when it comes to heat
Today they are for sure. But if you go back several years, Fermi (aka Thermi) had a very good reputation for basically being a grille that could happen to run games. Nvidia and AMD sat about even when it came to temperatures but when Nvidia moved to Fermi, the temps it brought surprised a lot of people. Those were interesting times, watching people try to figure out ways to cool it without going full watercooling.

Haymarket2008

Technically both will move and both will have screens. Alcatraz will be movement through physical sets. I’d liken the experience to Transformers. In more ways than one.

So, if I were to consider Transformers to be one the worst attractions I’ve been on in years.....I’m going to hate Alcatraz.....? Or is it a comparison mainly in terms of the elevators and screen elements only? There will be a large number of AA’s, correct? Because that makes up for a lot.

Jones14

Keep in mind that @marni1971 really likes Transformers, so any comparisons he draws to it should be taken as a compliment on his end. At it's core, too, Transformers is Spider-Man with a different skin, and Spider-Man is widely considered to be the one of the best attractions ever made, so I wouldn't worry.

Plus, we have solid evidence of quite a few physical elements/AA's; I think Transformers is just easier to compare to since it deals with space aliens in an industrial setting rather than cartoon characters. Well, that and the elevators.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, if I were to consider Transformers to be one the worst attractions I’ve been on in years.....I’m going to hate Alcatraz.....? Or is it a comparison mainly in terms of the elevators and screen elements only? There will be a large number of AA’s, correct? Because that makes up for a lot.
I can’t comment on any AAs since I’ve not heard about them. But there are numerous projection systems.

mmelka

Personally, I quite enjoy Transformers, and that might be my nostalgia for the toys and cartoons, and it is always my first ride when I get to Universal Orlando. Though, I am sure that Disney will expand on the experience even more and give us something truly special. At least it isnt another NRJ next to FOP like in Pandora. Two E-Ticket rides should help a little bit. Makes me wish there was a third though!

ThatMouse

This would be cool if they were talking about putting that new star wars game in the Disney resort game rooms. I'm not really sure how this is THAT much better than playing a game at home. You can buy toggle switches that light up for like $1 and mount them to wood and it will be the same thing.

Gringrinngghost

The Amount of GPU Computing in there has me at Damn.

For the 8 combined:
CUDA Parallel-Processing Cores: 28672
GPU Memory 192 GB GDDR5XFP32
Performance 96 TFlops
Power Consumption 2000 W
Display ConnectorsDP 1.4 (32), DVI-D (8), Optional Stereo (8)

Disney's running for one theater a cool 48,000 worth of GPUs, However I am surprised they didn't go with Nvidia Quadro GV100

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
more screens.

yay.
It is the way of things and apparently the way of the Force now too.

That being said, the way they are using screens today is much better. Like you, I can't stand the things. Even the first screen shot in SSE of cavemen hunting the mammoth really bugs me. However, the way screens were used in the Na'vi River Journey were very effective and has tempered my hatred of them a bit.

Epcot82Guy

It is the way of things and apparently the way of the Force now too.

That being said, the way they are using screens today is much better. Like you, I can't stand the things. Even the first screen shot in SSE of cavemen hunting the mammoth really bugs me. However, the way screens were used in the Na'vi River Journey were very effective and has tempered my hatred of them a bit.

Agree entirely (although I sort of like the SSE intro, but solely for the upgrade factor - not on its own). Combining screens with believable, live, realistic sets can work. Many of the attractions that are beloved have done that (especially original Epcot attractions). With today's technology, that's all the more capable.

Haymarket2008

I can’t comment on any AAs since I’ve not heard about them. But there are numerous projection systems.

But there will be AA’s, right?? Projections can work brilliantly, and I think they are appropriately being used within this context. I just hope it isn’t used as a complete reliant on storytelling. Then again, there are two life-size AT-AT’s so I’m not too worried

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But there will be AA’s, right?? Projections can work brilliantly, and I think they are appropriately being used within this context. I just hope it isn’t used as a complete reliant on storytelling. Then again, there are two life-size AT-AT’s so I’m not too worried
Again, I’ve heard nothing about AAs.

I believe the ATATs will be presented as unmanned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom