Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

Really wish they had pushed this into the parking lot instead of the LMA/Canyon plot. Either way still looking forward to it. At least it's in the correct park and I'd take the two rides over what was there (maybe not the ORIGINAL backlot tour ... lol, but I didn't care either way for LMA. It was fine and I liked it, but I don't miss it).

britain

Yes, the queues are similar between the two; but, Florida's is configured differently since it's crammed up against the boundary of the land. Unlike Martin, I'm more familiar with DLR's since it's been in the works the longest; but, when the move to the LMA spot was made it caused the reconfiguration of the entrance to the Resistance side of the house.

I think it’s fascinating that here we have an example of the architectural structures for these mountain peaks being exactly the same in CA as in FL, and yet the textures will be applied by different concrete artists on the different coasts. This is not the same thing as when the clones of Big thunder or Splash were built. It will be very interesting to see if there are any differences.

Other than the land entrances, this is practically giving the same set of blueprints to two different construction groups.

Last edited:

sedati

To be quite honest though, I think its pretty funny that people are making such a big deal about where the entrance is...as if knowing "before" the land opens will earn you some extra galactic credits.

How many galactic credits for endlessly extolling the virtues of the Critter Country Entrance over the DHS Tunnel?

We each have what we find fun here.

That said, I do agree that the entrance to Battle Escape shouldn't be made a big deal of- especially since this has been pretty well figured out since July 27th, 2017- not just here, but I'm sure everywhere that was following D23. Here's an exchange from this very site:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ge-construction-specifics.910927/post-7826883

As for the recent back and forth- I (and Brian Lo possibly) felt a need to put up a reminder of our findings before a certain video came to be.

These projects take years. I find it fun to speculate and decode the inner workings of the plans and models. If you don't want to know any details before a land opens, a rumor blog is an odd place to frequent.

Last edited:

BrianLo

As for the recent back and forth- I (and Brian Lo possibly) felt a need to put up a reminder of our findings before a certain video came to be.

Indeed, although I had not previously speculated the whole cylindrical structure to be an exit hall. That's a fascinating idea.

I certainly like the idea of an exit show a lot. Although I partially wonder if it's a gift shop. It's a huuuugggggeee structure!

@marni1971 do we have an exit hydrolator situation on our hands?

Brainleech419

Yes, the queues are similar between the two; but, Florida's is configured differently since it's crammed up against the boundary of the land. Unlike Martin, I'm more familiar with DLR's since it's been in the works the longest; but, when the move to the LMA spot was made it caused the reconfiguration of the entrance to the Resistance side of the house.
the LMA spot?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed, although I had not previously speculated the whole cylindrical structure to be an exit hall. That's a fascinating idea.

I certainly like the idea of an exit show a lot. Although I partially wonder if it's a gift shop. It's a huuuugggggeee structure!

@marni1971 do we have an exit hydrolator situation on our hands?
The cylinder building? Unload.

...it's a yungle

How many galactic credits for endlessly extolling the virtues of the Critter Country Entrance over the DHS Tunnel?

We each have what we find fun here.

That said, I do agree that the entrance to Battle Escape shouldn't be made a big deal of- especially since this has been pretty well figured out since July 27th, 2017- not just here, but I'm sure everywhere that was following D23. Here's an exchange from this very site:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ge-construction-specifics.910927/post-7826883

These projects take years. I find it fun to speculate and decode the inner workings of the plans and models. If you don't want to know any details before a land opens, a rumor blog is an odd place to frequent.
The enterance location, previous and basic info yes. What was pleasing and news to me from you post, was the queue “plot line” with multiple scenes and experiences. Have read it would be heavily detailed, creative use, multi-tech, etc...and with this queue plot line,
it sounds like good old school plus-ing to me, imho. Thx again

Kman101

I agree, but they never seem to call me for advice anymore.;)

lol. Most of us seem to have better ideas than they do ...

Star Wars in the parking lot, Toy Story Land behind Mania, and Cars Land on the LMA/Canyon plot. Plus the Door Coaster. Plus Mickey and Minnie in Animation ... the refresh writes itself (and in reality we should have gotten the park refresh around the time of the loss of the MGM name, 2008/2009, but instead DCA got the focus, which it too also needed, no denying that), yet they still can't get it right ...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah. The idea was to have SWL now drag people through to the back of the park.
I could maybe see it from a point of view where you would not want lines for the new land to back up into the entrance if it was right up front. However, this seems a bit short sighted long term. Building it on the CM parking lot would have allowed Star Tours to remain largely untouched and Indy could be retheamed to a Star Wars show if and when the attendance ever dropped.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I could maybe see it from a point of view where you would not want lines for the new land to back up into the entrance if it was right up front. However, this seems a bit short sighted long term. Building it on the CM parking lot would have allowed Star Tours to remain largely untouched and Indy could be retheamed to a Star Wars show if and when the attendance ever dropped.
Oh I agree.

And another draw or three would have fully fleshed out Pixar Place. And had the same effect.

JediMasterMatt

Oh I agree.

And another draw or three would have fully fleshed out Pixar Place. And had the same effect.

From what I understand, the primary driver for making the footprint fit in the LMA plot was the costs for the two fold expense of trying do some semblance of hiding the show buildings from the main entrance and the additional immediate costs of dealing with the loss of the additional parking space.

So it was more financial and not operational.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I understand, the primary driver for making the footprint fit in the LMA plot was the costs for the two fold expense of trying do some semblance of hiding the show buildings from the main entrance and the additional immediate costs of dealing with the loss of the additional parking space.

So it was more financial and not operational.
The parking decks did have some budget input. IIRC a just under 200 million input. But I believe pulling guests to the back of the park was a priority.

And of course they had a reason to also remove the labour intensive LMA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom