Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's not dedicated to Star Wars. It's in the Star Wars universe. I think there's a difference. When you needlessly throw in thematically incorrect characters and details in a land where everything has a backstory except the aforementioned, it dilutes your brand and, IMO, is bad for quality.
Let’s agree to disagree. And wait for the legacy characters to appear after a year or two.

PizzaPlanet

Let’s agree to disagree. And wait for the legacy characters to appear after a year or two.
It will be interesting to see how quickly they give up on some of these rules that create a total immersion, which is kind of a shame because they are putting so much effort into this. Didn't they pay Coke and Visa millions of dollars so their brands won't appear in the new lands?

BlindChow

I can see in character and costume, but I can't see a practical way for them to do creature makes that would be convincing.
You can do some interesting stuff with simple face-painting, but I'm not sure how likely (or time-consuming) that would be for front-line CM's. Maybe something they could do on a limited basis when it first opens.

Still, it would be cool to see an alien behind the counter at the gift shop (with the name of their planet on the nametag)...

df9da7164720baa98cc4b6272781cfba.jpg

BlindChow

It also doesn't make any sense at all that Darth Vader would go out for a meet and greet. The same goes for almost all of the characters.
I mean, technically it doesn't make any "sense" that Cruella de Vil or Captain Hook would go out for a meet and greet either... ;)

But I think there is a bit of a difference between SW and Harry Potter in theme parks. Unlike HP, Star Wars characters have been available for meet & greets for years. To suddenly deny people the ability to see and meet Recognizable Characters upon opening the new land would probably upset far more guests than the ones upset about "immersion."

EricsBiscuit

I mean, technically it doesn't make any "sense" that Cruella de Vil or Captain Hook would go out for a meet and greet either... ;)

But I think there is a bit of a difference between SW and Harry Potter in theme parks. Unlike HP, Star Wars characters have been available for meet & greets for years. To suddenly deny people the ability to see and meet Recognizable Characters upon opening the new land would probably upset far more guests than the ones upset about "immersion."
I think it depends on the level of immersion you're going for and the knowledge of the cinematic universe of your target audience. Star Wars fans tend to know a lot about the SWCU. Whereas in Fantasyland it's not very immersive and Peter Pan does not have a multi billion dollar franchise. It's apples and oranges comparing other Disney franchises to Star Wars.

bclane

I’m assuming there won’t be any kind of multimedia/pyro/drone nighttime show inside Galaxies Edge other than maybe some street performers. Is that correct? Any insight on this that you can share @marni1971?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Time for a Force ghost meet and greet? Come on Disney make it happen!

For May the Fourth (be with you), the Haunted Mansion will get a Force Ghost overlay.

I’m assuming there won’t be any kind of multimedia/pyro/drone nighttime show inside Galaxies Edge other than maybe some street performers. Is that correct? Any insight on this that you can share @marni1971?

I'm not sure how they could make that work. The narrow passages, two story buildings, and gigantic berms are all in play to make it as difficult as possible to see anything outside the land.

bclane

For May the Fourth (be with you), the Haunted Mansion will get a Force Ghost overlay.

I'm not sure how they could make that work. The narrow passages, two story buildings, and gigantic berms are all in play to make it as difficult as possible to see anything outside the land.
Actually, I wouldn’t mind if they snuck a Force ghost or two into Haunted Mansion if it was done like an inconspicuous gag, but please don’t tell anyone cause that is probably close to heresy around here. And yeah, there is probably no way to make a nighttime show work due to the lay of the land. I just really want to see drones themed to Star Wars battling it out overhead while I drink blue milk, but probably not possible. Oh well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, I wouldn’t mind if they snuck a Force ghost or two into Haunted Mansion if it was done like an inconspicuous gag, but please don’t tell anyone cause that is probably close to heresy around here. And yeah, there is probably no way to make a nighttime show work due to the lay of the land. I just really want to see drones themed to Star Wars battling it out overhead while I drink blue milk, but probably not possible. Oh well.

They would never do drones directly over people anywhere in the park. :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it depends on the level of immersion you're going for and the knowledge of the cinematic universe of your target audience. Star Wars fans tend to know a lot about the SWCU. Whereas in Fantasyland it's not very immersive and Peter Pan does not have a multi billion dollar franchise. It's apples and oranges comparing other Disney franchises to Star Wars.
I don’t personally think the level of immersion is as adversely impacted by classic SW characters appearing in SW land as say having Mickey Mouse in a Jedi robe. I don’t think the land needs to follow any of the movie timelines to still be immersive.

This is just my opinion, but this land and the Disney Parks in general should not attempt to cater to a specific fanboy demographic for an IP. There are hard core SW fans out there who have a great deal of knowledge of all things Star Wars, but they should not be the target audience. The target demographic should be the average theme park guest. A lot of them are going to be SW fans too, but not necessarily the kind of hard core fans who would lose their minds if everything doesn’t exactly follow cannon. Hard core SW fans won’t be totally happy anyway since it’s virtually impossible for every detail from the movies to translate to a theme park land. I think it was smart for them to make this a generic planet in the SW Universe to avoid some of those pitfalls and I also think that opens things up for a little creative use of characters as well.

Tavernacle12

Doesn't the land already have a bit of a timeline issue? My understanding was Han is still around for the Falcon ride, but the protagonists of TFA are together for Battle Escape?

As for character meets and whatnot, they could easily have Lightside/Darkside temples where the force lets you meet classic characters, though the only non-seasonal meet we've had that there would be timeline issues for is Vader. Rey, BB8, Chewie, and Kylo would all still be able to meet without any timeline issue assuming the 'land' takes place between the 8th and 9th films.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Doesn't the land already have a bit of a timeline issue? My understanding was Han is still around for the Falcon ride, but the protagonists of TFA are together for Battle Escape?

As for character meets and whatnot, they could easily have Lightside/Darkside temples where the force lets you meet classic characters, though the only non-seasonal meet we've had that there would be timeline issues for is Vader. Rey, BB8, Chewie, and Kylo would all still be able to meet without any timeline issue assuming the 'land' takes place between the 8th and 9th films.
Is Han part of the MF ride? I think that would be cool as he’s always going to be the true pilot of that ship (sorry Lando;))

Tavernacle12

Is Han part of the MF ride? I think that would be cool as he’s always going to be the true pilot of that ship (sorry Lando;))

I could easily be wrong, but I feel like 'not damaging Han's ship' was part of a press release at some point. Nowadays it's Chewie's or Rey's, so if Han isn't involved in some way it seems odd to reference him (again, assuming I remember the press release right). I don't expect him being involved, if involved, as more than a voice over giving directions and whatnot.

Next Big Thing

I completely disagree that Disney will go this direction. They haven't made any attempts to hype up that this will be a main feature of the land and as Potter has proved, if you have a good enough product and a strong enough brand, you don't need to dilute it down by throwing poorly cast look-a-likes everywhere.

Here's one option: Stagger the characters throughout the day based on the 3x3 movies. You can spread it out all day: Anakin and Obi-Wan and Maul in the morning; Vader, Luke, Leia in the afternoon; Rey, BB-8, Kylo in the evening. Or, rotate through the timeline a few times through the day.

No overlap of timelines. The full gamut of characters. Show up at the time that your favorite trilogy is 'current.'
If they do end up going the character route, firstly they need to cast absolutely with perfection. Also, I could see a Poe meeting alongside BB-8. Especially if they're going to stick with the immobile BB-8... it's kind of awkward doing a M&G with BB-8 right now whereas Poe could add some life to that M&G.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom