Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The sad thing is with today's technology the Imagination turntable scene would be a piece of cake to do.

I don't want to derail this thread by discussing how apparently the only way to get Radok blocks work in the modern world is to have team of Vanna White's flipping them or about the "obsolete" Lights of Winter tech....

I am very pleased that they have thought about capacity on the MF ride. I haven't really kept up with all the details in this thread, but it is one thing I have thought about in moments of theme park daydreaming when a break in daily drudgery has allowed my thoughts to wander.

rushtest4echo

I'm not surprised. It is a lot simpler, and should need a lot less testing. Also, it should take less time.

People who wonder why Disney's construction timelines are so "slow" compared to Universals should take note. Screens take next to zero time to develop, design, install, and open.

Not that I'm taking Iger's timeline of 2019 very seriously, but there was quite the heavy parade of those "in the know" on this project's timeline who swore that WDW's Star Wars land was at the very least a year behind Disneylands- but probably closer to two if not three. Any of those people care to offer up an insight as to why they felt this was the case?

Disneylands will need to be built within the confines of the operating/overcrowded theme park that is also surrounded by city streets. There are locals who aren't going to want to deal with construction noise overnight either. There are also the concerns around how to reopen Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island, the Railroad, Mark Twain and Fantasmic 2.0 with all of that construction occurring, which will no doubt slow things down significantly once those things start to come on line this summer (though I have my doubts that any of that will be ready in 4 months time). WDW's Star Wars Land can be built at a decent speed without needing to worry about scheduling around the rest of the park, or local residents, or other rides operating in the vicinity. And realistically, there's always 3 shifts of construction per day if they want to push things. It's all about scheduling and realistically how much they want to spend on labor to get things done quicker.

I guess my actual question is: why did anyone think that Disneyland's was ever going to open so much earlier? Was it just WDW's knack for taking their time (which I agree, sometimes takes forever despite it being the plan all along)? Sure, Disneyland got a bit of a head start, but they've got so much more to do compared to WDW's version. Maybe Disneyland is looking at a Spring 2019 opening and WDW's is headed for closer to Fall?

gorillaball

Also I assume (and hope) you boarded at Kings Cross.[/QUOTE]

We rode it both ways wanting to get the full experience. Kings Cross was 20 min wait and just fine. Coming back the other direction was 40 min wait (more of a mid-day crowd) and it was complete misery of switchbacks waiting to board a mode of transportation +'d with some cool effects.

RobbinsDad

DL is probably 4-6 months ahead and will almost certainly open first. Whether the construction gap will widen or shrink between the two depends on how much money or effort is spent on one or the other to get it done quicker. I think there's a real push by Disney to get them open ASAP to capitalize on the IP as much/quickly as possible. This does not strike me as a project that would go slow just to "spread out costs" because they know the huge revenue/draw that will occur with opening and want it to happen ASAP.
Agree. Episode IX will hit that year, and we'll have just seen the Han Solo/Millenium Falcon origin story. It's perfect timing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People who wonder why Disney's construction timelines are so "slow" compared to Universals should take note. Screens take next to zero time to develop, design, install, and open.
You haven't seen the plans for Alcatraz then?

but there was quite the heavy parade of those "in the know" on this project's timeline who swore that WDW's Star Wars land was at the very least a year behind Disneylands- but probably closer to two if not three. Any of those people care to offer up an insight as to why they felt this was the case?
Pretty sure I've been saying 2019 for quite a long time now. With DL around 4-6 months earlier.

bhg469

Think trackless spiderman, with more physical sets to complement the (still very present) screens.
There is that word trackless again. Does this ride have different routes? Options? I don't frequent the forums a lot anymore so I could have missed this.

Am I the only one who thinks reckless technology on a linear ride is fairly wasteful?

csmat99

Very exciting. Some were thinking it would be 2020 or even 2021 before Star Wars Land opened, but, once again, you guys nailed it.
A lot can happen in 2 years not all good. I still feel confident DHS won't open in 2019 and will be spring of 2020. Disneyland will open summer of 2019. They will make some excuse that they learned some things from disneyland version and want to tweak some things. They mentioned TSL will open in 2018 which leads me to believe they really stripped that land down compared to what was originally planned.

csmat99

This doesn't look like a screen to me. :cool:

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-235.jpg

bhg469

A lot can happen in 2 years not all good. I still feel confident DHS won't open in 2019 and will be spring of 2020. Disneyland will open summer of 2019. They will make some excuse that they learned some things from disneyland version and want to tweak some things. They mentioned TSL will open in 2018 which leads me to believe they really stripped that land down compared to what was originally planned.
New fantasy land was "open" before it was done as well. My guess is one attraction will not be ready by then.

britain

There is that word trackless again. Does this ride have different routes? Options? I don't frequent the forums a lot anymore so I could have missed this.

Am I the only one who thinks reckless technology on a linear ride is fairly wasteful?

Ha! Did you intend to say reckless? :)

Who says it's linear?

Plus, Star Wars never has anything on a track with wheels. It has either flying vehicles or low hovering (a few inches off the ground). Disney's trackless vehicle can best approximate the latter.

bhg469

Ha! Did you intend to say reckless? :)

Who says it's linear?

Plus, Star Wars never has anything on a track with wheels. It has either flying vehicles or low hovering (a few inches off the ground). Disney's trackless vehicle can best approximate the latter.

I meant trackless but it was autocorrected. And I would bet a small amount of cash that it is definitely linear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom