Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Chef Kronk

You are suggesting 3 new e tickets, a family coaster, and a flat in the next 3 years are "disappointing?"

I would have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that 2 attractions has become the norm for new lands, especially at a park that needs rides. I think we can all agree that the TSL attraction lineup is below expectations. The 2 SWL attractions will be awesome but something like the cancelled Bantha PeopleMover-type ride would really help round things out.

And with regards to the Mickey ride, I think everyone would be much more excited about it if we could move it over to Animation Courtyard instead of replacing a classic in GMR.

Haymarket2008

You are suggesting 3 new e tickets, a family coaster, and a flat in the next 3 years are "disappointing?"

As a means to fix Hollywood Studios, I would say so. It is a great step in the right direction. But no more planned attractions after the ones mentioned would be disappointing. The park needs quite a bit more.

Last edited:

Kman101

The park needs more than that and you know that. Of course it's disappointing. Not that the rides will be bad by any means and of course we don't know what their plans are after those. Mickey should be an addition, not a replacement. So yes in that sense it is disappointing. And TSL has already been chopped a bit in terms of theming, which was light to begin with. We could have likely had Cars Land, Monstropolis, Toy Story Land as well as Star Wars Land plus a makeover of the Animation Courtyard.

ToTBellHop

The park needs more than that and you know that. Of course it's disappointing. Not that the rides will be bad by any means and of course we don't know what their plans are after those. Mickey should be an addition, not a replacement. So yes in that sense it is disappointing. And TSL has already been chopped a bit in terms of theming, which was light to begin with. We could have likely had Cars Land, Monstropolis, Toy Story Land as well as Star Wars Land plus a makeover of the Animation Courtyard.
I also know it's getting more than that.

Kman101

Yes and I believe yes.

I wanted to hit "like", but only because I appreciate the information. I wish these were going elsewhere (any slim slim slim chance they are?). Thanks :) good to know but also a bit sad to know what they're ultimately possibly replacing.

Earl Sweatpants

Seeing people say that DHS is moving at a much slower pace than DL. Can anyone speculate how much of a factor the Florida weather will play in the construction process? I mean, clearly stuff gets built there, but I'm just curious how many half-days will have to be worked when the glorious thunderstorm season rolls in next year as opposed to full days work in sunshine-y So Cal.

doctornick

Yeah, it's a poor choice when the Launch Bay space is available and far more appropriate. The bones of GMR are good and they could have updated the scenes to create largely a new ride for relatively little money.

I am fully in the boat that the Mickey ride should be a new build and they should keep GMR.

That said, it seems the premise for putting in the Mickey ride is to relieve some of the stress of the crowds when Star Wars opens... thus the Mickey ride needs to open by the late 2019 timeframe that SW is expected. Putting it in the old Animation Bldg/Launch Bay area, while being logical, doesn't fit logistically since they aren't going to close Launch Bay until the new Star Wars land opens. So, you couldn't start construction for this theoretically Mickey ride in that area until 2019 at the earliest.

Of course the basic logic falls flat when GMR could help with capacity and the crowds just as much as the Mickey ride. I think it would be fine to keep GMR as is and put the Mickey ride in the Animation area -- if it opens in 2021-22, that's fine.

In the meantime, I'd really like to see them start on something else for DHS. The most logical place would be on the Indy stunt show footprint (ideally going into the current backstage and parking area for more space) and starting to build there when Toy Story Land opens.

DinoInstitute

I can only hope you are correct. Could you at least say where such future additions might go? I would think that either in the Animation Bldg/Launch Bay area or replacing the Indy stunt show would be the most likely places.
Also I'm really curious what "more" could end up meaning. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more so just things like stage show replacements and dining overhauls (like Rizzo). Which would be nice of course, but I'm hoping the extra stuff has them thinking a lot bigger.

ToTBellHop

So then I gather that while there was talk of a "phase three" (another 'land'), there is no commitment to it yet.

Unless "phase three" is the new parking lot...
I haven't heard of a third land but I have heard of additional projects, mostly filling in where there are existing (old) shows. Not aware of any further E-ticket rides if that's what you're wondering. I know they are aware that the Animation plot will have to eventually be replaced, but they intend to keep Launch Bay until SWL opens, so I can't imagine we see anything substantive there until 2022.

One thing is clear--while the plans are still enormous, they are not as dramatic as the Summer 2015 plan was. 2016 has sucked all-around.

Mike S

I am fully in the boat that the Mickey ride should be a new build and they should keep GMR.

That said, it seems the premise for putting in the Mickey ride is to relieve some of the stress of the crowds when Star Wars opens... thus the Mickey ride needs to open by the late 2019 timeframe that SW is expected. Putting it in the old Animation Bldg/Launch Bay area, while being logical, doesn't fit logistically since they aren't going to close Launch Bay until the new Star Wars land opens. So, you couldn't start construction for this theoretically Mickey ride in that area until 2019 at the earliest.

Of course the basic logic falls flat when GMR could help with capacity and the crowds just as much as the Mickey ride. I think it would be fine to keep GMR as is and put the Mickey ride in the Animation area -- if it opens in 2021-22, that's fine.

In the meantime, I'd really like to see them start on something else for DHS. The most logical place would be on the Indy stunt show footprint (ideally going into the current backstage and parking area for more space) and starting to build there when Toy Story Land opens.
They could always take down Disney Jr. for Mickey. Replace a show for tots with a ride for everyone including the tots.

win/win

doctornick

I haven't heard of a third land but I have heard of additional projects, mostly filling in where there are existing (old) shows. Not aware of any further E-ticket rides if that's what you're wondering. I know they are aware that the Animation plot will have to eventually be replaced, but they intend to keep Launch Bay until SWL opens, so I can't imagine we see anything substantive there until 2022.

One thing is clear--while the plans are still enormous, they are not as dramatic as the Summer 2015 plan was. 2016 has sucked all-around.

Well, that is IMHO disappointing. I mean, yes, replacing the existing shows is a good thing and I look forward to that happening -- but that should be a given and they are all long overdue for replacements. I truly hope that the powers that be recognize that DHS still needs more beyond TSL/SW and a Micky ride and just some new shows. There really ought to be an additional land build either replacing Animation or in the IJ area (or both!) with some new rides. They don't have to be E-tickets, but the park needs a bunch of C- and D-ticket stuff to compliment the bigger name attractions that are slated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom