Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

So hopefully they get enough parking spaces for the masses that want to see the new Star Wars land. But I fear this park still will not be able to handle these crowds. 2 new Star Wars attractions, a new toy story land. What else are people going to want to do? Can you imagine the lines this will create for TSMM, RnR and ToT. This park still needs so much more to handle the crowds that Star Wars will bring. I don't think I will really enjoy Star Wars land at DHS until 2 years after it opens. Disneyland is a different story. It'll be packed in Star Wars land but when people are done with it there is enough to do that the crowds in the rest of the park will be light and enjoyable.

Here's hoping phase 3 can fix some problems.
Disneyland was pretty quiet this past July 4th week even without SWL. Highest waits were for anything Star Wars related (Hyperspace and Star Tours - both reaching close to 90 mins at peak times). The rest of the park was between 20-30 mins or less.

Next Big Thing

Not quite. Phase 3 has changed into additions - some small some not so - in various areas of the park. This attraction is part of that, as opposed to a whole new phased area. Right now the attraction is due to open around the same time as SWL.
Honestly I feel like I like that type of approach more. Instead of an entire themed land, they can plug in attraction here and there where needed (at least that's how I interpret it).

Mawg

Not quite. Phase 3 has changed into additions - some small some not so - in various areas of the park. This attraction is part of that, as opposed to a whole new phased area. Right now the attraction is due to open around the same time as SWL.
Oh, I get it now. There is actually some thought to their madness. They are not stepping on the pedal for Star Wars yet because they really aren't ready. There's other attractions to be completed at the same time. I thought they would be stalling for infrastructure or Toyland, which was confusing as these could be done quicker. But they are stalling because Phase 2 and 3 are combining and more than Star Wars will be done? I still bet it is not enough to handle the crowds Star Wars will produce. Are the plans even finished yet for the other items they want done at the same time as Star Wars?

Variable

I don't think that boat will have anything to do with Star Wars. You shouldn't even be able to see into Star Wars Land from the Rivers of America, as shown in this concept art:
1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg
Hard to imagine the boat riders won't But the train could be shielded. That's what's great about the boat: seeing things normally out of view

BrianLo

Spirit mentioned in his new thread the WDW Star Wars Land is "18-24 months minimally behind DL's version". Personally I have a VERY hard time believing that.

I'm late to catch up. It just doesn't make sense what he is claiming. For it to fall that far behind they need to not start construction for another 12 months. Which could have been true...

Or Spirit is still operating on old, dead info. That seems to be a common theme concerning this project.

Siren

I don't think that boat will have anything to do with Star Wars. You shouldn't even be able to see into Star Wars Land from the Rivers of America, as shown in this concept art:
1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg

Hi @[insert name here]! Thanks so much for posting the original concept art. It's totally charming and so picturesque! Star Wars land will certainly alter the gorgeous landscape here -- not a bad thing, just different.

1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg

And, yes! There is that elusive boat. LOL. It's now crystal clear in this rendering that the boat will make a comeback and is linked to the island not Star Wars land.

2uh8v21.jpg

People might see some of Star Wars from the huge white boat but I don't think they'll see anything from the train. And, it shows where the train enters a huge tunnel.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Hi @[insert name here]! Thanks so much for posting the original concept art. It's totally charming and so picturesque! Star Wars land will certainly alter the gorgeous landscape here -- not a bad thing, just different.

1-16-wdi-9001-full.jpg

And, yes! There is that elusive boat. LOL. It's now crystal clear in this rendering that the boat will make a comeback and is linked to the island not Star Wars land.

2uh8v21.jpg

People might see some of Star Wars from the huge white boat but I don't think they'll see anything from the train. And, it shows where the train enters a huge tunnel.
I would be shocked if the Keelboats return. I think it's just artistic license. The Mark Twain will certainly be there. On the other hand, Sailing Ship Columbia is quite tall. Will we see its mast from inside SWL? I think the location of SWL out west leaves much to be desired.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Now, the other ride..

I'm now able to nail some points and firm up some rumour about the Falcon attraction.

Spaceport themed. Lots of themed queue and preshows / safety areas. Lots of nods to the interior of the ship from the movies. Queue will develop from spaceport to Falcon interior to cockpit.

Hybrid ride system that is part Omnimover and part simulator. Or more one on top of the other. It shouldn't be apparent it is an Omnimover hybrid. And it'll go round and round and round all day. A subtle nod to Journey into Imagination ;) Physical capsule for guests with a viewport to a large exterior screen, unlike Star Tours with its attached screen. A simple, effective and not cheap method is being employed to try and counter demand. Assuming a cycle time of 5 minutes it could have a THRC in the upper high teens. Longer cycle and it'll be more mid teens.

Edit. For the sake of accuracy I'll add here it will go round and round and round almost all day.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

So, thinking about it "logically" . . .

Sunset Boulevard already has 2 E-Tickets shoved right up next to each other
Star Wars Land is going to have two of the most popular attractions on property
Toy Story Land is coming in to serve the park's capacity in the advent of Star Wars Land
Muppet Courtyard is getting PizzeRizzo (finally!), and it sounds like nothing else is presently in the works for the land
Hollywood Boulevard doesn't seem like it offers much opportunity for expansion, and The Great Movie Ride, blessedly, seems to be safe

That seems to leave . . .
Echo Lake, which apparently has and will have room for expansion
Animation Courtyard, where I presume Star Wars Launch Bay will be vacating when the purpose-built land opens.

Echo Lake has Indy, which has a new movie coming out #Synergy #"Man'sPark" - It sounds like that was where attention was, but has perhaps since been diverted.
They also have Star Tours, which is purportedly not going anywhere any time soon (at least not until after Star Wars Land opens)
I imagine that there is potential to expand the IP's represented here and bring in something new, but from a guest distribution perspective Echo Lake is going to remain anchored by a solid E-Ticket through the opening of the new lands. Sounds like not the place you build a new E-Ticket.

Animation Courtyard has Playhouse Disney and Voyage of the Little Mermaid - both of which are long-time offerings, but given that Playhouse is somewhat regularly updated and suited for a younger audience, I'm not sure I'd expect it to go anywhere.
Mermaid has off and on been rumored to disappear lately, but it sounds like the rumor is that a new show would come in, not that the theater would be torn down. Is it safe to assume any new show would be based on an Animated Feature?

The old Animation Tour building takes up a nice chunk of land -- not ginormous, but you could work a nice solid E-Ticket in there if the current building came down. If it's to be believed that Phase Three is no longer a "Phase" and more like"Additions", then presumably the moniker of Animation Courtyard would not be changing, so whatever would be added to this land would fall under that umbrella. Though that may be a bold assumption, since thematic appropriateness doesn't seem much to stand in the way of new additions anymore (See Star Wars in Animation Courtyard for the most pertinent example)

And speaking of, it's probably unlikely that something's going into Animation that would open around the same time as Star Wars Land simply because of Launch Bay being there. Unless they close it soon, which seems unlikely $$$, there probably wouldn't be enough time to get an E-Ticket up and running in the time Star Wars goes up across the park.

So . . . my guess is that it's a jump shot between Echo Lake and Animation Courtyard for a new addition? In terms of guest distribution, those seem to be the only places that make sense. Disney already has enough headaches with RNR and TOT being next to each other, and the same with Splash and Big Thunder in such proximity. If they're bring responsible, they're going to want to do whatever they can to draw people out into a currently less-crowded area of the park and away from the bustle that is inevitable from The Star Wars Experience. That means building in a place where no E-Ticket currently exists. Which would seem to give the upper hand to Animation.

flyerjab

I've seen nothing that suggests this will change.

Interesting. Their parks in Orlando are for the most part very navigable, with this one being a slight exception. I love the view of Sunset Blvd. with the Tower at the end of the row of palm trees, but it is weird how it simply 'ends' with no other added walkway. I know that this park has always had a sort of shoe-horned in feel to it with its location. Maybe connecting this area of the park in another way is just physically not possible.

HauntedMansionFLA

Interesting. Their parks in Orlando are for the most part very navigable, with this one being a slight exception. I love the view of Sunset Blvd. with the Tower at the end of the row of palm trees, but it is weird how it simply 'ends' with no other added walkway. I know that this park has always had a sort of shoe-horned in feel to it with its location. Maybe connecting this area of the park in another way is just physically not possible.
Great Points - enjoy AKL Villas!

bhg469

Now, the other ride..

I'm now able to nail some points and firm up some rumour about the Falcon attraction.

Spaceport themed. Lots of themed queue and preshows / safety areas. Lots of nods to the interior of the ship from the movies. Queue will develop from spaceport to Falcon interior to cockpit.

Hybrid ride system that is part Omnimover and part simulator. Or more one on top of the other. It shouldn't be apparent it is an Omnimover hybrid. And it'll go round and round and round all day. A subtle nod to Journey into Imagination ;) Physical capsule for guests with a viewport to a large exterior screen, unlike Star Tours with its attached screen. A simple, effective and not cheap method is being employed to try and counter demand. Assuming a cycle time of 5 minutes it could have a THRC in the upper high teens. Longer cycle and it'll be more mid teens.
This sounds exactly like what the parks need. I cannot wait to experience every part of this attraction right down to the queue.

HauntedMansionFLA

Now, the other ride..

Thank you for giving well worded details of the rides coming to. SWL. It sounds like a well thought out land. Will Zsolt Hormay move over to SWL after finishing up Avatar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom