Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

I've already said the system could be used for almost any IP in the world. That doesn't mean they should though.

Also, since when are we defending the use of the ST system for HK's Iron Man ride? It's laughable that they would take a property with so much popularity and theme park potential and shoehorn it into a ride like that.

You haven't really indicated any reason why that ride system is bad, other than comparing it to a "D-Box" theater (which sells it way short IMHO). I think Star Tours is a fantastic ride. Certainly, the Iron Man Experience could be as well.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using "old" technology as long as it works for the experience you are building.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You haven't really indicated any reason why that ride system is bad. I think Star Tours is a fantastic ride. Certainly, the Iron Man Experience could be as well.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using "old" technology as long as it works for the experience you are building.
Though we don't know much about Iron Man yet, I think there needs to be some obvious thematic reason to set a ride inside a vehicle for the system to work effectively. Star Tours works because the in-universe Starspeeder 3000 is the same size and shape of the simulator and it looks and feels like it belongs in that world. Since Iron Man is set in the "real world," I don't see anything immediate analogous that will feel as natural.

doctornick

totally agree
hard to make a land about Marvel or Transformers but easy to make a great attraction
thats why i think Cars, Pandora, or Potter are different
You gotta be able to sell the environment

Indeed. Many things are far more conducive to individual attractions than full lands. That's a reason why I have a concern about the trend to build IP focused lands rather than more generic places with IP attractions that fit. It's only the occasional IP that works well to making an immersive land.

To be honest, that's why I'm not that bothered if "Phase 3" doesn't end up as a full land, but is just individual attractions in different places. In fact, I think I'd prefer if any new land at DHS be more generic -- like a non-specific Pixar Place -- because it is far more flexible.

Next Big Thing

You haven't really indicated any reason why that ride system is bad, other than comparing it to a "D-Box" theater (which sells it way short IMHO). I think Star Tours is a fantastic ride. Certainly, the Iron Man Experience could be as well.

My point isn't that it's "old" technology. Omnimovers are great. The point is that it's a screen-based ride. Compareed to virtually any other screen-based attraction in Orlando, it feels ancient. Screen technology dates itself much faster than something like Haunted Mansion, which is timeless.

I'm sure the IM Experience will be fine, but I can think of so many better ways for them to have implemented the character. Stark Tower drop ride? Flying Coaster? Bench ride like FJ? A combination of a few to form a mini-land?

But tbh, I don't want to lose ST. All i'm saying is if we have to, i'd rather it be replaced with something completely new (which I know won't happen).

doctornick

Though we don't know much about Iron Man yet, I think there needs to be some obvious thematic reason to set a ride inside a vehicle for the system to work effectively. Star Tours works because the in-universe Starspeeder 3000 is the same size and shape of the simulator and it looks and feels like it belongs in that world. Since Iron Man is set in the "real world," I don't see anything immediate analogous that will feel as natural.

The Starspeeder was made up for the ride, no? I don't think it existing in Star Wars before hand. Why couldn't Tony Stark invent some tour vehicle as part of the ride story?

I don't have a problem when I ride Spider-Man that a Scoop vehicle doesn't exist in the real world (or comics AFAIK).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The Starspeeder was made up for the ride, no? I don't think it existing in Star Wars before hand. Why couldn't Tony Stark invent some tour vehicle as part of the ride story?

I don't have a problem when I ride Spider-Man that a Scoop vehicle doesn't exist in the real world (or comics AFAIK).
Yes, the Starspeeder was created for the ride, but it fits in the universe from a look-and-feel perspective, and I immediately believe that it would exist in that world without needing to be told why. I think that's much harder to achieve when the characters are based in the "real world." Some throwaway line about Stark Industries creating a new flying tour vehicle would feel more out of place.

Mawg

Genuinely interested in why you say this? Personal reasons? Do you just not like it? Does ride data show that this should happen?

Every time we ride it (which is about 10/15 times a trip, 3/4 times a year), riders break out into applause and there is always a line and lots of people talking about how they loved the ride when they disembark. I realize this is one experience, but I'm interested in yours.

Actually, I'm trying to put personal reasons aside. I love the ride. Love Star Wars and the best part is that it is always different, it eats people and you can ride it multiple times in a trip and not get bored. But to keep it as is makes no sense as others have said. It would be difficult to connect it to the new StarWars land and to keep it without connecting it with Muppets in the middle makes for a bad layout of a Park I would like to see become great. So what's left, a re-theme is most likely and also likely is to get the same theme Disneyland gets. Both a re-theme and to give it what DL gets are the cheapest routes which Disney is known for. There are not many IP's that fit in both parks and no themes that would allow for the multiple random scenes that make this attraction great and repeatable (It'll become the same show over and over). The ride system itself is very old and out dated making the content very important to its success. You could put Muppets in Space in there and complete the Muppetland, but that land would have two screen based 3D attractions. What will Disney Do? Probably keep it and re-theme it. What do I want? Keep it Star Tours up until the new land is open updating with new scenes from movies, then announce a Phase 3, bulldoze it and build something entirely new. It's the expensive option and will most likely never happen. But, just my opinion, not an insider.

MonkeyHead

Yes, the Starspeeder was created for the ride, but it fits in the universe from a look-and-feel perspective, and I immediately believe that it would exist in that world without needing to be told why. I think that's much harder to achieve when the characters are based in the "real world." Some throwaway line about Stark Industries creating a new flying tour vehicle would feel more out of place.

You're talking about a world where SHIELD helicarriers are normal and their cars have vertical take off capability.

And a man flies around in a metal suit.

doctornick

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that would be the case. I'm under the impression that the theme of the Iron Man ride is some sort of Stark Expo, so having some new fangled transport there that the guests are going to ride could be seamlessly incorporated (before the inevitable "something goes wrong" storyline that drives the actual ride plot). I figure it will be like the Peoplemover being exhibited at the World's Fair.

Brian Swan

Ant-Man would work great as an "Adventure Thru Inner Space" type ride.

Classic Disneyland fans would gobble it up for sure.

Someone had WAY too much time on their hands. But this is very well done; I had a chance to ride it once (a long time ago) and this is how I remember it. If only someone could do this for some of the WDW "lost attractions"...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You're talking about a world where SHIELD helicarriers are normal and their cars have vertical take off capability.

And a man flies around in a metal suit.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that would be the case. I'm under the impression that the theme of the Iron Man ride is some sort of Stark Expo, so having some new fangled transport there that the guests are going to ride could be seamlessly incorporated (before the inevitable "something goes wrong" storyline that drives the actual ride plot). I figure it will be like the Peoplemover being exhibited at the World's Fair.
Fair. My main point was about why it does fit in Star Wars and might not fit as well with any IP they decided to plug in there with a retheme. Iron Man was probably a bad example.

Mawg

That would be a terrible decision. A retheme might make sense, but that ride gobbles up crowds and it would be a mistake to give up that capacity.
It only gobbles people if they are willing to ride it, if it gets a retheme do you think it will still be as attractive as StarWars was. Is it the ride mechanics that make this ride great or the content?

Mike S

Iron Man Experience (Star Wars Experience, connection?) just screams lazy to me as Disney's first Marvel ride. It seems to me that unless it's Star Wars or a project involving someone with a lot of pull like John Lasseter and James Cameron Disney is more than happy to phone it in. Toy Story Land, Frostrom, Guardians of the Tower, need I go on?

JohnWD

At its price, it had better be incredible. It had better ACTUALLY let guests control one of those fake Na'vi with five fingers (it's been so many years since it came out that I've forgotten finer plot details). I expect 20,000 of those little sleep chambers.
Wait - I thought Disney was cheap?!?! When Disney keeps to budget they are being cheap and not doing a quality job, and when they spend the extra money to keep the quality or - gasp - actually pluses they are wasting money. I'm glad I'm not an insider so I don't have to make these judgements on this board. :)

Goofyernmost

Let's not!
I agree, I still love Omni-movers and always will. They are what makes Disney so unique, they should never change that. Everything goes in circles, before long people will love them again and they will all remember how lazy we actually are and want to ride to our entertainment. They were what sold me on Disney to begin with and I still love them. The moving boarding, the turning cars to view scenes, all of it... just fascinating to me.

What it brings to mind to me was years ago shopping centers were just starting out. Everyone flocked to them, then along came Malls. Wow, you could do all your shopping and never go outdoors, it was, and still is a great idea. However, Malls are dying now because Big Box Stores are the in thing which is nothing more then shopping centers on steroids except that now you have to drive between them instead of just walk. Before long everyone is going to come to their senses and realize that BBS do not carry anymore variety then the old shopping centers used to, just more of the same items. So they'll be back and before long, Malls will be the place to go again. The same thing applies to Omni's. In the twisted words of Arnold..."They'll be back!"

raymusiccity

I think we're underselling the 'lands as attractions' short. Epcot is one of those. If you are truly doing World Show Case as it was meant to be done, it makes up for some of the inadequacies in the number of attractions department.

Diagon Alley is the other one where I consider the land itself a better attraction than the E-ticket tacked on. I think Star Wars will could follow a similar vein. While you might spend an hour riding both attractions, you'll easily spend another two just exploring the land.

I'm not excusing the awfully light ride lineup, but I just wouldn't discount the land itself as adding serious value to DHS.

I don't get it. How do you spend 2 hours 'exploring' an Alley ?! I guess it's like exploring Main Street?

I prefer the Griswold Method !

image.jpeg

Last edited:

AEfx

What it brings to mind to me was years ago shopping centers were just starting out. Everyone flocked to them, then along came Malls. Wow, you could do all your shopping and never go outdoors, it was, and still is a great idea. However, Malls are dying now because Big Box Stores are the in thing which is nothing more then shopping centers on steroids except that now you have to drive between them instead of just walk. Before long everyone is going to come to their senses and realize that BBS do not carry anymore variety then the old shopping centers used to, just more of the same items. So they'll be back and before long, Malls will be the place to go again. The same thing applies to Omni's. In the twisted words of Arnold..."They'll be back!"

You had me until the end. Malls are dying because folks shop online as it's generally cheaper, more convenient, and you can do it in your underwear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom