News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

toonaspie

I'm still surprised that they're still moving forward with this hotel. We are past the point where Disney should be aware of the negative reaction to the whole "over-immersion" aspect of Galaxy's Edge. And guests are going to feel like prisoners in this hotel not being allowed to go anywhere outside of it except for GE/DHS over the course of their 2 night day. Most guests don't have time or money for something like this and the appeal will wear off once all the Vloggers, media folk, and SW shillers have done their "one and done" stay. Plus I imagine Disney will pay most of those groups to do a promotional stay there anyway. So that's even less profit in Disney's hands. This whole concept is a huge mistake IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised that this hotel laxes on some of its restrictions in the next few years (providing buses to other parks, adding a pool, zero stay restrictions, etc.) because I don't see this hotel working longterm with the concept that Disney has envisioned for it.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm still surprised that they're still moving forward with this hotel. We are past the point where Disney should be aware of the negative reaction to the whole "over-immersion" aspect of Galaxy's Edge. And guests are going to feel like prisoners in this hotel not being allowed to go anywhere outside of it except for GE/DHS over the course of their 2 night day. Most guests don't have time or money for something like this and the appeal will wear off once all the Vloggers, media folk, and SW shillers have done their "one and done" stay. Plus I imagine Disney will pay most of those groups to do a promotional stay there anyway. So that's even less profit in Disney's hands. This whole concept is a huge mistake IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised that this hotel laxes on some of its restrictions in the next few years (providing buses to other parks, adding a pool, zero stay restrictions, etc.) because I don't see this hotel working longterm with the concept that Disney has envisioned for it.

On the contrary, I would suggest there’s been a negative reaction to the lack of any immersion aspect of SW:GE. Most of the interactive elements have been cut from SW:GE other than the app.

Seems likely the interactive elements will be used at the resort. Now if this isn’t immersive enough, that will be where the resort fails. That plus price, depending on what that turns out to be.

Until we see the reaction to the resort, it’s too early to be writing it off IMO.

The_Jobu

I agree, the cash cows will come regardless of quality or value, the comps to youtubers (who will have nothing but praise) will be frequent and the short term success is fairly guaranteed. If they skimp on the details and try to pinch pennies while charging such high prices, I think the long term success is shaky.

Ravenclaw78

Yeah. I'm really interested in how this is going to be received. Disney is in a tough spot with this fandom.

Star Wars is the only fandom I know of that has a sizable contingent of "fans" that hates everything about the thing they're fans of. All that's really happened here is they redirected their rage at George Lucas over the Prequels and Special Editions into rage about Disney and diversity. :rolleyes:

At any rate, if you made a Venn diagram of LARPers, Star Wars fans that actually like Star Wars, and "people who can afford to stay at this hotel", the overlap in the center is more than large enough to keep the hotel sufficiently booked for years. Especially if they manage to deliver on enough of their hype that they get repeat guests.

ImperfectPixie

Star Wars is the only fandom I know of that has a sizable contingent of "fans" that hates everything about the thing they're fans of. All that's really happened here is they redirected their rage at George Lucas over the Prequels and Special Editions into rage about Disney and diversity. :rolleyes:

At any rate, if you made a Venn diagram of LARPers, Star Wars fans that actually like Star Wars, and "people who can afford to stay at this hotel", the overlap in the center is more than large enough to keep the hotel sufficiently booked for years. Especially if they manage to deliver on enough of their hype that they get repeat guests.
The target audience is huge...but the question is, will Disney screw up what those fans are looking for, like they obviously have with the two lands...

ETA: Those fans DO NOT want to be given costumes to wear, as I said earlier.

Magenta Panther

So you're still asking stupid questions? :rolleyes:

Is is a stupid question in light of the lukewarm public response to the Star War lands in both U.S. Parks? In light of how costly it's going to be to stay in the stupid thing, when guests are already showing reluctance to pay high prices for a Star Wars "experience'?

And how about an answer this time, instead of a pitiful attempt at wit?
🤣

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Star Wars is the only fandom I know of that has a sizable contingent of "fans" that hates everything about the thing they're fans of.

I think it's fairly common nowadays in most "geeky" fandoms, especially this decade. It's present in Star Trek (they kind of invented it), Doctor Who, Comics, a lot of tv shows with devoted fanbases, even Disney (dare I say).

Well, that's a topic for another day, but returning to the topic of the hotel, I think you repeat many of the assumptions that predicted SWL to be an overwhelming success. "There's so many fans that will flock to this place no matter what, it cant fail". I would hope that is exactly the kind of thinking the execs are avoiding and not just leaning on the popularity of Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom