News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Indy_UK

TBF, I was one who thought this had stalled. Seems like they are finally cracking on with it. We're going next year instead of 2021 so probabaly won't get to experience this until 2023 or so.

Hopefully it takes off and other themed ones crop up

Next Big Thing

They can't mask momentum
Sure you can. Just things off the top of my head...

1- you restrict how freely people move (restraints)
2- you control which orientation people face
3- you use dampeners to slow changes in velocity
4- you use counter movements
5- you mask movements by crowding with OTHER movements... confusing which direction or thing you experience making it easier to sell as something else
6- you sell the movement as something other than what it is by layering effects like sound, or lights, story, etc

Dulles drives these all around the tarmac to this day... they have windows but most people don’t even look at them.
View attachment 366953

The movement is there... but you can play it off when you do things right. It’s what Disney has been doing for freaking 45+ years with simple rumble seats.

Don’t say it’s not possible until you actually see what they do.
I would think since these vehicles will need to be custom built, they could also put a motion base into them to help simulate whatever movement that they wanted while they are being moved from Point A to Point B.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The big delta for these shuttles is capacity.. and what they aim to cover. Because that becomes a big constraint on what you can do.. from space, to cycle times, to cost, to requiring seating or not, etc. Allowing free movement or standing would dramatically limit what you do from show effects, required safety, etc.

If you need to transport 500 people in a short period of time.. you don't want 2 shuttles holding 20 people each... if you get what I mean.

The concept art we say could be the vehicle.. or it could have been the dock for the vehicle, etc.

Too many variables from where we stand to make a good guessitimate IMO. I just want to point out that you don't need star tours to suggest different movement to people. Look at how attractions like M:S green and the KSC simulator use just tilt to achieve pretty significant effects. Or prior attractions have used basically rumble seats + audio..

It will be interesting to see how far or not they take it all.

kthomas105

If they were going to great lengths, it would be on a track, like HE. A themed bus is far from great lengths. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they are using special busses to transport you from a likely $1000 a night hotel to a park. It would be the epitome of cheaping out on Disney's part.

And movement not matching visuals is what causes vertigo. Unless the busses are going to go VERY slow, and all traffic will be stopped for them, they can't hide brake pumps and left/right turns. HE has very slight turns, and perfectly smooth track THAT is going great lengths
Vertigo isn’t caused in this way motion sickness is though. On to the other issues you raise I think you are putting too much stock into the “if it’s on a track it’s better mantra”. Why overcomplicate a situation that can be managed very similarly to other resort bus loops. In a shuttle type system on a rail ala Hogwarts Express the number of shuttles is fixed and movement from one station to the next is dependent on if the other shuttle is ready to depart their current station. Also you must staff these transports completely different. The biggest advantage I can think of is that busses are also more adjustable to future changes such as park expansion, new road routes or changes to the hotel. You could go back and forth about the pros and cons all day but the decision makers decided the busses were the best route. They may very well have chose them because they were in fact cheaper and didn’t compromise the premise of their show and that doesn’t mean they “cheaped out” they were just keeping their spending in check.

Lensman

I wonder what percentage of the hotel budget is allocated to the transport system? Do we even know the budget for the hotel yet?

As much as I like the idea of highly themed transport to GE, I'd like them to focus as much of the budget as possible on the immersive experiences in the hotel itself, as I imagine the GE part of the experience to be less immersive than the hotel.

I'm trying to stay out of the RotR thread to reduce spoilers for me, but how is the pre-show shuttle experience there implemented? I wonder if it will be possible for the hotel shuttle to feed directly into that attraction or the SR attraction bypassing interaction with immersion-breaking other guests?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The big delta for these shuttles is capacity.. and what they aim to cover. Because that becomes a big constraint on what you can do.. from space, to cycle times, to cost, to requiring seating or not, etc. Allowing free movement or standing would dramatically limit what you do from show effects, required safety, etc.

If you need to transport 500 people in a short period of time.. you don't want 2 shuttles holding 20 people each... if you get what I mean.

The concept art we say could be the vehicle.. or it could have been the dock for the vehicle, etc.

Too many variables from where we stand to make a good guessitimate IMO. I just want to point out that you don't need star tours to suggest different movement to people. Look at how attractions like M:S green and the KSC simulator use just tilt to achieve pretty significant effects. Or prior attractions have used basically rumble seats + audio..

It will be interesting to see how far or not they take it all.

That's assuming everyone goes to the land at the same time. We don't know how this is going to work yet, but it's possible that people will be able to visit at different times of the day.

Hawg G

Serious. Why couldn't a motion base (along with screens in the windows) be put into a custom vehicle to help simulate speed? It would be similar to the elevator preshow in Escape from Gringotts.

I think having a moving vehicle, DOT approved, having motion bases, motion dampeners, and whatever, is so far outside the box it would be a nightmare. Remember theses all need ADA access. People will stay in wheelchairs, but infants will be held in laps, just like on normal busses. This "ride" has to have no height requirement, and no ADA limitations. Name a ride that has that?

And the capacity issues are important. Yeah, not everyone will go at the same time, but wait, the hotel could, may SHOULD, have ERT daily, meaning everyone staying there WILL want to use this at the same time. Yet then the rest of the day, the shuttles will run almost empty. A simple track with lots of small pods may not be excessively more expensive than multiple huge busses.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone on here knows ANYTHING about this transport. Or they absolutely can't say anything about what they do know. None of the gurus on here are speaking up on it.

Lensman

Ultimately, I don't think anyone on here knows ANYTHING about this transport. Or they absolutely can't say anything about what they do know. None of the gurus on here are speaking up on it.
Most of what we know or have inferred in this thread is in the following post in the "other" hotel thread:

In particular this from the permit:

There's also these two pieces of concept art from another post in that thread. All these were also reposted earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I think having a moving vehicle, DOT approved, having motion bases, motion dampeners, and whatever, is so far outside the box it would be a nightmare. Remember theses all need ADA access. People will stay in wheelchairs, but infants will be held in laps, just like on normal busses. This "ride" has to have no height requirement, and no ADA limitations. Name a ride that has that?

And the capacity issues are important. Yeah, not everyone will go at the same time, but wait, the hotel could, may SHOULD, have ERT daily, meaning everyone staying there WILL want to use this at the same time. Yet then the rest of the day, the shuttles will run almost empty. A simple track with lots of small pods may not be excessively more expensive than multiple huge busses.

This is what I’m talking about by a motion base. It would be very minimal, but provide an effect. Being ADA compliant would be no issue.

build_it

I would use an electric based bus and have a very slow drive from the hotel to the land. With the electric motors, you can really control the speed and make is smooth and slow moving, allowing you to create a better sense you are in a shuttle and not in a bus. If the illusion is effective, extending the time it takes to go between shouldn’t be a problem for guests. And the distance isn’t that great to begin with, so if it would normally take 3 minutes to drive between, doubling that to 6 to 7 minutes, should be doable. Just my thoughts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's assuming everyone goes to the land at the same time. We don't know how this is going to work yet, but it's possible that people will be able to visit at different times of the day.

My number was just a number from the air, it was not meant to be specific. Just to say that what you can do for say.. 20 people is not necessarily easy to scale to big numbers... and you may need big numbers. The actual number is not important to the discussion. The problem is the same :)

More significant than time of day is that it’s unlikely the entire guest roster is on the same schedule. So day 2 guests are on transit to ge... day 1 guests are not, etc. schedule is everything in this... so much is just really unbounded until more details or paths are clear.

Last edited:

Movielover

If they were going to great lengths, it would be on a track, like HE. A themed bus is far from great lengths. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they are using special busses to transport you from a likely $1000 a night hotel to a park. It would be the epitome of cheaping out on Disney's part.

And movement not matching visuals is what causes vertigo. Unless the busses are going to go VERY slow, and all traffic will be stopped for them, they can't hide brake pumps and left/right turns. HE has very slight turns, and perfectly smooth track THAT is going great lengths

HE is a park to park transportation service that has to move hundreds of people at a near constant rate over the entire course of the day, thus an elevated people mover fit their situation perfectly. Here we don't know how often or how many people need to be taken to and from the hotel to GE on a daily basis. However since we know the hotel is a limited experience a system on the scale of HE is not needed here. Second while yes we know they are buses we have not seen the final product in operation. These should not feel like you are on a bus. I challenge you to do some test. Get on a bus or other larger moving vehicle. Completely block out your vision of the outside and obscure your hearing with other sounds. Ride around like that and see just how much you can feel, and if you can tell how the bus is moving in relation to the outside. You can even try this on other things like rollercoasters. Block out your sight and hearing and ride RnRC, you might be surprised on how much you can and can not feel. My point is here that buses are a much simpler and efficient system for this exact situation than constructing and maintaining an entire people moving system that likely won't be used to a maximum effect for most of the day.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone on here knows ANYTHING about this transport. Or they absolutely can't say anything about what they do know.

Yeah, which applies to you as well stating that the buses will be ineffective. This will be one of those "can't judge till you try it" moments.

drod1985

They can't mask momentum

Right. Anybody that thinks you can just needs to keep their eyes closed for the duration of their next WDW bus drive.

If the bus travel is timed in such a way that there would be no stops required from the hotel to the exit point at GE then this could work. But if a bus driver is stopping at stop signs then the illusion will be very thinly veiled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom