News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is a strange foundation plan for what the permit drawings showed. Anyone else have any thoughts on why there are multiple foundations for what appeared in the concept art and permit drawings to be a single, monolithic structure? Sub basements for sump pits/pumps? A few are fairly obvious elevator pits, but I know there aren't that many elevators based on the permit drawings we have all seen. Perhaps some type of modular construction? If anyone has some good ideas as to why they might begin vertical construction this way, please share.

They are footings to support a steel structure or re-enforced concrete structure.

Here is a good example from the early days of the Riviera tower construction...

Missing20K

They are footings to support a steel structure or re-enforced concrete structure.

Here is a good example from the early days of the Riviera tower construction...

View attachment 359092
Sure. :banghead:

Although they are very large footers for a two story structure. There are also clearly finished poured concrete walls in some locations which are probably elevator pits. But there seem to be more of them than elevators on the permit drawings and they are larger than one would expect for elevator pits.

I suppose I am just surprised by such large footings for such a relatively small structure. And that they would be building this as a steel structure* with infill instead of a masonry bearing block. But I also continually forget this is FL construction with the odd soils and high water table.

EDIT: or reinforced concrete

EDIT #2: Unless they do a grade beam between each column......🤔

EDIT #3: Well I just saw a reinforced masonry wall in the TRON construction thread, so the idea that masonry bearing wall construction is not a thing in FL is out the window. Maybe I need to ask my structural engineer why the footings seem so large. Even compared to the Riveria pic above, the SW hotel footers look larger.

Last edited:

NoChesterHester

Sure. :banghead:

Although they are very large footers for a two story structure. There are also clearly finished poured concrete walls in some locations which are probably elevator pits. But there seem to be more of them than elevators on the permit drawings and they are larger than one would expect for elevator pits.

I suppose I am just surprised by such large footings for such a relatively small structure. And that they would be building this as a steel structure* with infill instead of a masonry bearing block. But I also continually forget this is FL construction with the odd soils and high water table.

EDIT: or reinforced concrete

EDIT #2: Unless they do a grade beam between each column......🤔

EDIT #3: Well I just saw a reinforced masonry wall in the TRON construction thread, so the idea that masonry bearing wall construction is not a thing in FL is out the window. Maybe I need to ask my structural engineer why the footings seem so large. Even compared to the Riveria pic above, the SW hotel footers look larger.

Poor soils.

Missing20K

Poor soils.
Right.

I supposed I'm a bit surprised the soils are so much worse at the SW hotel site vs the TRON and Riviera sites. I guess that's Florida for ya. It would appear that they have larger footers at SW hotel for a two story structure than they had for Riviera which is what, 15 stories?

I wonder if any of the permit submissions have any core boring info?

Missing20K

Reading through the geo-technical report they do not mention the need for any special foundations.
Just finished reading it. Geotech states that column footing should be at least 3'x3'. The implication of course being that 3 feet by 3 feet is the minimum size for adequate soil bearing. The footings shown in bioreconstructs photos appear to be much larger than 3x3. A few look quite larger.

Geotech also states wall footings can be as small as 18" wide. And slab-on-grade is proposed and no basement. And all foundations only need to be 18" below finish grade. Bioreconstructs photos appear to show a greater depth of excavation than 18 inches as well.

I just can't help but wonder why. Perhaps when excavating the soil was worse than the core borings showed. Or the water was higher than expected. I'm also not a structural engineer, so do we have any in the house that can help?

BisonLion

Just finished reading it. Geotech states that column footing should be at least 3'x3'. The implication of course being that 3 feet by 3 feet is the minimum size for adequate soil bearing. The footings shown in bioreconstructs photos appear to be much larger than 3x3. A few look quite larger.

Geotech also states wall footings can be as small as 18" wide. And slab-on-grade is proposed and no basement. And all foundations only need to be 18" below finish grade. Bioreconstructs photos appear to show a greater depth of excavation than 18 inches as well.

I just can't help but wonder why. Perhaps when excavating the soil was worse than the core borings showed. Or the water was higher than expected. I'm also not a structural engineer, so do we have any in the house that can help?

your holes also have to be deep enough for any subbase/stone they are placing under the concrete slabs. The holes also have to be big enough for the footer plus form work. In addition, sometimes it is cheaper to make larger footers, then to pour 3-4 smaller ones. Without the full design (structurally) it is hard to tell exactly what is going on. However, they do look rather large.

Missing20K

your holes also have to be deep enough for any subbase/stone they are placing under the concrete slabs. The holes also have to be big enough for the footer plus form work. In addition, sometimes it is cheaper to make larger footers, then to pour 3-4 smaller ones. Without the full design (structurally) it is hard to tell exactly what is going on. However, they do look rather large.
Yeah, we really need the structural plans to sort it out. I could definitely see them pouring larger footers to capture more columns in one foundation, but the column spacing would seem odd based on the footing pattern. You would have some spaced closely together maybe 5-10 feet, and then like a 30-40 foot span before the next footer.

Even factoring in a fairly generous 12" for a compacted gravel base for the footings, they still seem deeper than 2 and half feet. Some that appear finished look like they have a 3-4 foot wall. But photos from a helicopter probably aren't the best from which to judge.

Nice to know we have another member with practical construction knowledge! 🧐

Atomicmickey

Sorry, but someone who pops onto the end of a 24-page thread and asks a question that's been discussed for about a third of the thread doesn't get to play their snark card.

OK, sounds great! Thanks for helping me to understand what I can and can't do! Have a magical day! 🤣

nickys

Premium Member
I'm looking forward to hearing the price of a stay.

Just for funsies.

Maybe 2k per day/per person? Higher?

IIRC, I think it was going to be 6K for 2nights for us, as a ballpark figure, based on the surveys that were done.

2K per person for a 2 night “experience”, plus 1K for each extra person in the room. Something like that. Maybe!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
IIRC, I think it was going to be 6K for 2nights for us, as a ballpark figure, based on the surveys that were done.

2K per person for a 2 night “experience”, plus 1K for each extra person in the room. Something like that. Maybe!

I believe the survey was just $1k per night and a two-night experience with no clue as to whether that was per person or per room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom