'Star Wars' Han Solo spinoff in the works with 'Lego Movie' writers/directors

erasure fan1

Chris Pratt is the same age as Harrison Ford when a New Hope was made. They wanted to tell stories about Han from before the original trilogy. It won't be an origin story as in showing his childhood. - “He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” Kennedy says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.”
I guess the only story I would like to see is right before a new hope so 29 to 32 would be good. I just don't think a teenage (or early 20s) Solo is all that appealing.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The Hollywood reporting is saying these are the current 3 up for the role -

Alden Ehrenreich, he was one of the highlights of Hail, Caesar!

VYWgKuCnQ1W99URfd62S_Alden-ehrenreich.jpeg

Jack Reynor, he is known for his work in Transformers: Age of Extinction and the upcoming Sing Street.

zNDybazrTB6EiSfnvTns_04_Jack-Reynor.png

Taron Egerton, the star of The Kingsman and Eddie the Eagle.

3oGwZKKTlyVuPY9wRr0R_Taron_Egerton.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Young Han has been cast -

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/05/star-wars-alden-ehrenreich-young-han-solo

Ehrenreich, 26, recently appeared in Hail, Caesar! and is also playing the lead in Warren Beatty’s long-gestating Howard Hughes movie.

han-solo.jpg

Ehrenreich is nearly a decade younger than Harrison Ford (then 35) was when he first portrayed the swashbuckling pilot of the Millennium Falcon in the original Star Wars, released in 1977. Ford reprised the role in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and more recently in The Force Awakens. Talking with EW’s Anthony Breznican late last year, Ford offered this piece of advice for the next actor to pick up Han’s blaster: I would say, ‘Talk to your director. Watch the movies. And welcome aboard. Make it your own.’”

Phroobar

Hopefully this movie won't be karaoke night. Too bad we didn't clone River Phoenix at his death in '93. He would be old enough now to play young Han Solo.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
The HAN SOLO Screenplay Has Been Described As The Best One In The STAR WARS Series To Date
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi...ay-has-been-described-as-the-best-one-a143068

Iain McCaig has worked on both the Star Wars prequels and The Force Awakens, so it's fair to say that the concept artist knows his stuff. That's what makes his comments about the upcoming Han Solo movie so exciting, especially as the vast majority of fans so far seem to have agreed that the spinoff is pretty unnecessary, especially as Harrison Ford obviously can't reprise the role of a younger Han.

"[The Han Solo movie] has by far the best Star Wars script, and one of the best scripts period, that I have ever read," he recently revealed after being asked about how the movie is shaping up. "I laughed, I cried, I did all the things you should do when reading a good script. You’re in for a treat."

erasure fan1

I agree with the comment "pretty unnecessary". That said, I really hope they blow my mind with this movie. The comments are a good sign so here's hoping for the best.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Alden Ehrenreich to play Han Solo in three movies?
http://moviehole.net/2016107095han-solo-alden-ehrenreich

Disney is developing its upcoming Han Solo “Star Wars” spinoff as a three-picture package, reports New York Daily News.

Alden Ehrenreich, who is on board to play Solo in the spinoff, has reportedly signed on to do three films, ensuring he’ll return to play the character should (or should I say when) the first film make it big at the box office.

The spinoff is set to focus on the character’s early years and will be directed by “Lego Movie” helmers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Princess Leia

2 things.
  1. How did I miss the Thandie Newton announcement? She's going to be great in whatever role they put her in
  2. The EW article says that it's going to be released May 2018. I thought it was scheduled for December of that year?

Princess Leia

Isn't she supposed to play a younger Maz Kanata?

The same actress could do a younger version. I think the original Maz actress is about 10 years younger than Thandie.
Lupita Nyong'o is 33, Thandie is 44, so about 10 years. Not like Lupita's age would make any difference since Maz is an animated character :p
It would make a ton of sense to feature Maz in this movie, so I hope they're able to work around Lupita's schedule for this.

WhatJaneSays

The EW article says that it's going to be released May 2018. I thought it was scheduled for December of that year?
May 2018 was always the official penciled in date, but there was a very strong rumor that if Avatar 2 vacates it's December 2018 spot the Han Solo movie will claim it. That may still happen as there has been minimal word from Cameron & Co. lately if December 2018 is even a possibility anymore.I personalty doubt a 2018 release for Avatar 2.

SW has preformed well in it's mid-December slot and Disney is very predictable with it's release schedule. Avengers: Infinity War is also slated for May 2018 and I can't imagine that Disney will decide to compete against themselves for such an overlapping demographic.

Princess Leia

May 2018 was always the official penciled in date, but there was a very strong rumor that if Avatar 2 vacates it's December 2018 spot the Han Solo movie will claim it. That may still happen as there has been minimal word from Cameron & Co. lately if December 2018 is even a possibility anymore.I personalty doubt a 2018 release for Avatar 2.

SW has preformed well in it's mid-December slot and Disney is very predictable with it's release schedule. Avengers: Infinity War is also slated for May 2018 and I can't imagine that Disney will decide to compete against themselves for such an overlapping demographic.
Got it. I agree with you about Avatar 2- they haven't even started filming yet. Due to all of the technical pieces that will need to be put together, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out Spring 2019 instead (Earth Day, perhaps?)

As for Disney not cannibalizing film release dates (even though Avatar isn't theirs, they'll be promoting it at Pandora), Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 come out in May this year, and The Last Jedi & Mary Poppins Returns will both be released this December. While the latter 2 won't be sharing the same audiences (though I'll be seeing both), Guardians and Pirates definitely will have a shared base.

WhatJaneSays

Got it. I agree with you about Avatar 2- they haven't even started filming yet. Due to all of the technical pieces that will need to be put together, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out Spring 2019 instead (Earth Day, perhaps?)

As for Disney not cannibalizing film release dates (even though Avatar isn't theirs, they'll be promoting it at Pandora), Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 come out in May this year, and The Last Jedi & Mary Poppins Returns will both be released this December. While the latter 2 won't be sharing the same audiences (though I'll be seeing both), Guardians and Pirates definitely will have a shared base.

GotG and PotC do have some overlapping demos, but not as many as they would have if PotC5 came out in timely fashion. PotC doesn't seem to be pulling as much cross generational (or gender) traffic as it did last go around. I do think it's not the wisest decision to put them out so close together; Disney kind of scheduled themselves into a potential issue this year with the GotG2-PotC5-Cars3 trifecta. (Thinking PotC might be the weakest of the 3 I'd have moved it to mid/late July.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom