'Star Wars' Han Solo spinoff in the works with 'Lego Movie' writers/directors

erasure fan1

As much as I want new Star Wars, I was kind of hoping for more original stuff. I just hope that if you plan to recast one of the single most iconic characters EVER, you are dang sure it's done right. I still believe there are a few characters that the mystery of their past, is part of what makes them so compelling. Han would be one of them for me.

champdisney

I'm surprised actually, being that Lord and Miller have a lot on their plate right now. A Han Solo origin does sound awesome. We'll get to see the story of how Han met Chewie (although I read it in previous books but again those aren't canon anymore). Marvel also did the writers a favor in giving them more material to explore: Han's mysterious first wife. His relationship with Lando, his dealings with Jabba, etc. Should be fun!

TomHendricks

I wonder if they will have to use who ever is cast as Indiana Jones. Wouldn't that be funny if they had different actors playing each part, like Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones and Chris Pine as Han Solo. May be they could get Chris Evans as John Book in Witness and Christian Bale as Dekker in Blade Runner.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I wonder if they will have to use who ever is cast as Indiana Jones. Wouldn't that be funny if they had different actors playing each part, like Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones and Chris Pine as Han Solo. May be they could get Chris Evans as John Book in Witness and Christian Bale as Dekker in Blade Runner.

I wonder if Pratt is too old to play young Han. He is basically the same age Ford was when he played Han in the first film. They might be going for a teen version.

han-solo-chris-pratt-02_612x380.jpg

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I'm surprised actually, being that Lord and Miller have a lot on their plate right now. A Han Solo origin does sound awesome. We'll get to see the story of how Han met Chewie (although I read it in previous books but again those aren't canon anymore). Marvel also did the writers a favor in giving them more material to explore: Han's mysterious first wife. His relationship with Lando, his dealings with Jabba, etc. Should be fun!
If you saw Lego Movie, you know they have a certain appreciation for Star Wars. And given their connection with Pratt via Lego, maybe there is a slight possibility.

Personally, I'd prefer Pine.

Gomer

Magenta Panther

Well, I must admit this has me intrigued. I loved the Lego movie. If those guys are behind this Solo film, then it's sure to have a sense of humor, at least. But who would play Han?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Highlights from Entertainment Weekly -

What happened to him in the years before we met him in that Mos Eisley cantina?

Here’s what everyone knows so far: It will be directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the duo behind Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, The LEGO Movie, and the 21 Jump Street comedies. And the script will be penned by both Lawrence Kasdan, who worked on The Force Awakens (as well as The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) and his son Jon, who directed and wrote 2012’s The First Time and was a writer on the TV series Freaks and Geeks.

“I think the key here is that we are identifying an event or events in Han Solo’s life that gives you some idea of who he is and why he is the character we have all known to love,” Kennedy says.

“You can imagine, given who we’ve chosen to come in and direct, it should be very entertaining and funny,” Kennedy says. “Han Solo is the character inside Star Wars that everybody knows has a wit and sense of humor. So that’s what this should be.”

Kasdan said he had turned Lucas down when approached about working on the prequels, yet it was a different sort of prequel that interested him this time.

“They said, ‘Here are the things that we’d like to make movies about,’ and I said, ‘Oh, well, Han Solo. I would write a movie about Han Solo. He’s always been my favorite.’ And that’s the job that I took,” Kasdan says.

“He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” Kennedy says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.”

As his work on The Force Awakens became more demanding, young Han Solo was put on hold. That’s when Kasdan, like a benevolent Vader, lured his son to join him on that project.

“Since I did not expect to be sidetracked like this, when I came back to it I said to Kathy, you know, I would like Jon to write this with me,” Kasdan recalls. “I could use some inspiration and Jon is really good, and he’s full of energy for the project, and I said, I think Jon would be a good one to do this. And we went forward that way.”

Lot's more in the article - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/13/star-wars-anthology-young-han-solo

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

erasure fan1

Short list of possible actors for young Han -

Sources tell Variety that after seeing thousands of actors, execs have cut the list down to about a dozen actors with Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Jack Reynor, Scott Eastwood, Logan Lerman, “Brooklyn” star Emory Cohen and “Everybody Wants Some” actor Blake Jenner among the names making the cut.
The only one on the list that I can see in the part is Scott Eastwood but I am really not familiar enough with him to judge the acting side of it. My big problem with this list is that I read it wouldn't be an origin story, but to me a lot of these actors are way too young for it not to be. I was really hoping for someone a bit older around Chris Pratts age.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The only one on the list that I can see in the part is Scott Eastwood but I am really not familiar enough with him to judge the acting side of it. My big problem with this list is that I read it wouldn't be an origin story, but to me a lot of these actors are way too young for it not to be. I was really hoping for someone a bit older around Chris Pratts age.
Chris Pratt is the same age as Harrison Ford when a New Hope was made. They wanted to tell stories about Han from before the original trilogy. It won't be an origin story as in showing his childhood. - “He’ll definitely be probably in the high teens, low 20s,” Kennedy says. “We’re not introducing you to a 10-year-old Han Solo.”

Phroobar

Too bad they can't use Han Soto. A little bit of makeup would do the trick. He was great with Ford's (Colonel Graff's aide) in Ender's Game.

latest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom