News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Arndt was in over his head. He wanted 18 months to write a screenplay! Disney just spent 4 billion and didn't have kinda time.

TFA is at 93% on RT. TLJ is at 91%. TFA almost made a billion domestic.
And what does that prove?

Bad movies make a lot of money all the time. Easy to demonstrate that

I’m not a “smart guy”...until these Star Wars movies...I had generally accept tomato meter as accurate.

But I think a fatal flaw in those metrics has been exposed: namely it can’t measure franchise resonance...only flash in the pan box office.

Star Wars has never been about initial run box office.

I hate titanic...but it’s a good movie. The force awakens is BY FAR the worst movie in the all time top 10. Both in context and in repeat potential viewing. It was an “event” thing...and those are fleeting.

Last Johnson made 37% less...
The defense of “just like empire” is quite a doozy...even on a Disney site.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

And what does that prove?

Bad movies make a lot of money all the time. Easy to demonstrate that

I’m not a “smart guy”...until these Star Wars movies...I had generally accept tomato meter as accurate.

But I think a fatal flaw in those metrics has been exposed: namely it can’t measure franchise resonance...only flash in the pan box office.

Star Wars has never been about initial run box box office.

I hate titanic...but it’s a good movie. The force awakens is BY FAR the worst movie in the all time top 10. Both in context and in repeat potential viewing. It was an “event” thing...and those are fleeting.

Last Johnson made 37% less...
The defense of “just like empire” is quite a doozy...even on a Disney site.
There's an awful lot in there that's opinion-based...unfortunately, money talks.

Whether a movie-is good, bad, or re-watchable is strictly a matter of personal taste. My husband isn't in love with the ST, but he'll put them on if we have nothing new to watch, just like he will the OT, which he really loves. He also HATES Titanic with the passion of 1000 burning suns, and loves the movie Bedazzled. I happen to love the OT, think the ST isn't fabulous, but isn't terrible, either; love Titanic, and think Bedazzled was a complete waste of resources.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Worse than Avatar?

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to fully judge the ST until after Ep 9 is released
You know...avatar is not a fantastic story...but visually it still can have some pull/resonance.

The problem with TFA is that subconsciously Star Wars needs to really have characters or its at best dull or at worse silly.

Force awakens is dull based on the lack of character.

Who is one of the best/more integral characters in Star Wars?

R2 D2.

What kindergartner handled that part of the script? (No offense to kindergartners)

As far as ST...give me one trilogy that turned out well when they boned the middle chapter?

Take your time. I’m most cases...it’s actually required to be the best film in the end.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately, none of that is an indicator of film quality or public reception, especially RT scores which are now borderline useless.

The critic reviews of TFA were in the can. Read them now...it was like they switch the movie at the screening. It didn’t happen the way they wrote.

Can’t take the bias out of it here: blockbuster Star Wars is good for everyone in Hollywood. Never forget

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's an awful lot in there that's opinion-based...unfortunately, money talks.

Whether a movie-is good, bad, or re-watchable is strictly a matter of personal taste. My husband isn't in love with the ST, but he'll put them on if we have nothing new to watch, just like he will the OT, which he really loves. He also HATES Titanic with the passion of 1000 burning suns, and loves the movie Bedazzled. I happen to love the OT, think the ST isn't fabulous, but isn't terrible, either; love Titanic, and think Bedazzled was a complete waste of resources.

I agree...

Follow the money of Star Wars since 12/17/17...the trail is there...

The_Jobu

The critic reviews of TFA were in the can. Read them now...it was like they switch the movie at the screening. It didn’t happen the way they wrote.

Can’t take the bias out of it here: blockbuster Star Wars is good for everyone in Hollywood. Never forget

Disney leans on movie critics the same way they lean on vloggers. You like getting flown out to interview the movie's stars and being wined and dined? You like us advertising in your newspaper? Give us a bad review of something we're pushing and see what happens.

RT is doubly useless as there are flagrant political biases at work in the reviews as well. RT has deteriorated in usefulness to the level of video game journalists.

(Sorry all, this is my bugbear that always gets me up. Well this and predictive staffing.)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney leans on movie critics the same way they lean on vloggers. You like getting flown out to interview the movie's stars and being wined and dined? You like us advertising in your newspaper? Give us a bad review of something we're pushing and see what happens.

RT is doubly useless as there are flagrant political biases at work in the reviews as well. RT has deteriorated in usefulness to the level of video game journalists.

(Sorry all, this is my bugbear that always gets me up. Well this and predictive staffing.)

So how do you explain all the Disney movies which get a low score from reviewers? There are a lot of them.

RT critics' scores are usually in line with Metacritic's.

RT users' ratings are usually in line with IMDB's users scores (which usually has up to ten times the number of user ratings) and scientific audience polling (CinemaScore)).

You're seeing a conspiracy where data clearly shows doesn't exist.

The_Jobu

So how do you explain all the Disney movies which get a low score from reviewers? There are a lot of them.

RT users' ratings are usually in line with IMDB's users scores (which usually has up to ten times the number of user ratings) and scientific audience polling (CinemaScore)).

It depends on the amount of marketing funds. There are movies that get "the push" and movies that are left to fend for themselves. The Captain Marvel push changed fundamental parts of the entire RT process.

The slant between critics and users on political films is fairly blatant, no need to go over that. If you truly think critic scores are on the up and up, and polls aren't cultivated, I have a DVC broom closet you might be interested in ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The slant between critics and users on political films is fairly blatant, no need to go over that. If you truly think critic scores are on the up and up, and polls aren't cultivated, I have a DVC broom closet you might be interested in ;)

I really don't.

Are you telling me Disney didn't want good reviews for the Dumbo remake?

This is truly an unhinged conspiracy theory.

The_Jobu

This is truly an unhinged conspiracy theory.

And I feel believing in the purity of professional critic reviews is the equivalent of plugging your ears and shout LALALALALALA. So here we are.

Again, it's fairly blatant. Some movies get the push, some dont. The term oscar-bait isn't just about the genre of film, but the amount of advertising and junkets a producer puts into the film.

UNCgolf

As far as ST...give me one trilogy that turned out well when they boned the middle chapter?

Take your time. I’m most cases...it’s actually required to be the best film in the end.

Well, I'd say the Force Awakens is worse than the Last Jedi... at least as far as screwing up Star Wars going forward. I'm not a fan of the Last Jedi, but most of its issues are a direct result of bad decisions (or one major bad decision) made in the Force Awakens.

Regardless, what about Indiana Jones? Temple of Doom is easily the worst of the original three films, even though it's still not a bad movie. I suppose that's not REALLY a trilogy, though, since they're essentially self-contained stories without any underlying plot threads.

Darth Snips

Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, Aladdin (you may laugh but King of Thieves is a legitimately good movie), Lord of the Rings, and I would argue the PT although I realize that one's controversial.

Joesixtoe

Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, Aladdin (you may laugh but King of Thieves is a legitimately good movie), Lord of the Rings, and I would argue the PT although I realize that one's controversial.
Eh not indy, or Lord of the rings.. the rest I get it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The only thing that really matters right now is this:

TFA>TLJohnson
R1>Solo

So $2 bil to 🤯

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Indy’s “middle chapter” was Raiders.

Ragnarok is nonsense...actually none of those are particularly good.

I’ll give you iron man and avengers (except Ironman 3 isn’t fantastic and avengers is a 4 parter)

The two towers was the best...like Empire.

Mission impossible is not a trilogy.

I’ll have to take your word on the Aladdin cheapquels.

Here’s what my point is: the best trilogies have an emotional bridge in the middle chapter...

That is the OT, LOTR, Captain America, Bourne (before they got greedy), Godfather.

Hell...toy story 2 was actually the best of those...then they got greedy.

I’m gonna ignore attack of the clones...you never said anything about that. If didnt happen.

Enough movie talk...we can see how the piper is paid in 2 months. Let me know how the return of the Jedi reboot without the Jedi goes 😎

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom