News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mergatroid

The discussion was about what is currently in the land that is considered an AA (which I continue to say is Rex, Hondo, and Dok Andar). We weren't discussing whether they were in a queue, gift shop, bar, or in the ride.

Apparently you and others are excited about an eyeball that raises a foot. I get it. Tell your friends to rush over and see it. Oh, and don't forget to tell them a Droid is attached to the spit. It's amazing.

Please feel free to quote me (or anyone) saying we're excited about the eyeball. Changing or just making things up makes conversing with you pointless otherwise with all due respect.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
To give SW:GE the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to double any attendance numbers we see at WDW since the crowd is basically split between two coasts (I know it's very much not that simple, but bear with me).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To give SW:GE the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to double any attendance numbers we see at WDW since the crowd is basically split between two coasts (I know it's very much not that simple, but bear with me).
Why is that the benefit of the doubt?

It’s was Built on both because they couldn’t handle the “gigantic Star Wars crowds”...not to make two low attended locations.

A bit revisionist, no?

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

So they spent twice as much to generate the same crowd? Not sensing they are excited about that. Nor are they excited they spent the money on Project Stardust, Boarding Group technology/install, new parking structures, etc. They invested hundreds of millions and expected massive crowds, but they got, well, the same crowds (or less) than last year. (See: Dorian, September, auto sales, waiting for ROTR, etc.)

RobWDW1971

Please feel free to quote me (or anyone) saying we're excited about the eyeball. Changing or just making things up makes conversing with you pointless otherwise with all due respect.

Fair enough - you are not excited about the rising eyeball, but somebody (don't frankly have the energy to go back and see who) used that as an example of an AA in the land. So whether it is excited, overvaluing, rationalizing, the point is the same.

mergatroid

Fair enough - you are not excited about the rising eyeball, but somebody (don't frankly have the energy to go back and see who) used that as an example of an AA in the land. So whether it is excited, overvaluing, rationalizing, the point is the same.

Not really. I believe you said there were 3 animatronics in Galaxy's Edge and I believe somebody replied to your incorrect claim stating there were more and naming them? They didn't appear to be bragging about them or saying they were groundbreaking, just pointing out you were wrong. You then sarcastically made out that they were saying every animatronic was worth a trip alone (or words to that affect), when all they were doing was correcting some incorrect information that YOU provided to start that topic off.

Anyhow the point is you hate Galaxy's Edge and that's ok, no need to make statements that are incorrect and then try to twist what somebody said correcting you into them claiming something they're not.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So they spent twice as much to generate the same crowd? Not sensing they are excited about that. Nor are they excited they spent the money on Project Stardust, Boarding Group technology/install, new parking structures, etc. They invested hundreds of millions and expected massive crowds, but they got, well, the same crowds (or less) than last year. (See: Dorian, September, auto sales, waiting for ROTR, etc.)

I agree, if you look at it from a cost perspective...we'll see if they can shore up those numbers or if they decide to make adjustments to the offerings

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree, if you look at it from a cost perspective...we'll see if they can shore up those numbers or if they decide to make adjustments to the offerings
That’s the “wait till ROTR!!” Tact...

I hate to break it to EVERYONE...but Disney planted that in the spring.

Why? They knew their bookings weren’t slammed - they’re not stupid - and just put out a smokescreen by calling it the “signature attraction” and letting the drones do the work for them.

I’m sure they hoped that foot traffic would pick up...but I think they knew.

And if it does get busy In December - gee, you never see that - then bob slithers back to his stock overlords and declares victory.

You always win the game when you rig it yourself

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Not really. I believe you said there were 3 animatronics in Galaxy's Edge and I believe somebody replied to your incorrect claim stating there were more and naming them? They didn't appear to be bragging about them or saying they were groundbreaking, just pointing out you were wrong. You then sarcastically made out that they were saying every animatronic was worth a trip alone (or words to that affect), when all they were doing was correcting some incorrect information that YOU provided to start that topic off.

Anyhow the point is you hate Galaxy's Edge and that's ok, no need to make statements that are incorrect and then try to twist what somebody said correcting you into them claiming something they're not.

If you classify the eyeball that raises a foot as an "audio-animatronic" than we will just have to agree to disagree. Or feel free to use another descriptor, but I was (I think pretty clearly) referring to sophisticated character AA's not a Droid that rotates its head six inches when activated by an app. But fine, I concede the point and see edit below.

Going back to the original broader point vs debating rationalized semantics - opening a "Star Wars" land without substantial roaming aliens, droids, Jedi, bounty hunters, iconic music, and just three MAJOR audio animatronics (Hondo, Dok Andar, and Rex), and (EDIT) a few other random things with minimal, rudimentary movement that apparently people are NOT excited about, are all terrible creative choices and hence the land is a dull, depressing abandoned movie set that has failed to generate the expected crowds and excitement on either coast.

Oh, but I like taking a photo in front of the Falcon - that is great. Once.

Last edited:

KikoKea

This past week's trip, DH and I took advantage of the EEMH at HS twice, arriving at 6 and 7am- it was well worth the effort to get up early. We spent the first 2 hours in TSL, RnR, ToT and ST, before heading to GE to give MF:SR another try. Due to a screaming child, whose parent thankfully took her out before the CM shut the door, we were able to move up from the dreaded Engineer seats to Gunner. That made a big difference visually and let us feel as if we were actually part of the "flight". Game play, because it looks and plays like video games my sons used to waste hours on, was OK. Like I mentioned earlier, we really enjoyed Hondo's funny comments.

The land is still amazing- great rock work and attention to detail, but for us, it isn't a place we'd like to hang out. That's a personal preference, and I realize others might absolutely love the place. That's cool- I'm glad there's a variety of lands and experiences for everyone.

The Grand Inquisitor

This past week's trip, DH and I took advantage of the EEMH at HS twice, arriving at 6 and 7am- it was well worth the effort to get up early. We spent the first 2 hours in TSL, RnR, ToT and ST, before heading to GE to give MF:SR another try. Due to a screaming child, whose parent thankfully took her out before the CM shut the door, we were able to move up from the dreaded Engineer seats to Gunner. That made a big difference visually and let us feel as if we were actually part of the "flight". Game play, because it looks and plays like video games my sons used to waste hours on, was OK. Like I mentioned earlier, we really enjoyed Hondo's funny comments.

The land is still amazing- great rock work and attention to detail, but for us, it isn't a place we'd like to hang out. That's a personal preference, and I realize others might absolutely love the place. That's cool- I'm glad there's a variety of lands and experiences for everyone.
That's the great thing about Galaxy's Edge, the rest of the park is usually pretty dead. On my trip my brother did rockin roller coaster 4 times in a row with a 15 minute wait time. Plus Tower of Terror, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania had under 20 minute wait times.

KikoKea

I'm glad they did the EEMH although there wasn't a whole lot of people there for it. We really enjoyed seeing the sun come up over HS and walk on rides. Riding RnR and ToT several times in a row was great. Second day, I must admit we didn't even go to GE, just rode ST (which we like better than MFSR) a few times before heading out to another park. Felt like we'd done a day's worth of fun in just 3 hours.:D

For anyone staying at a park hotel, it is totally worth dragging yourself up at 5am to go!

jt04

I'm glad they did the EEMH although there wasn't a whole lot of people there for it. We really enjoyed seeing the sun come up over HS and walk on rides. Riding RnR and ToT several times in a row was great. Second day, I must admit we didn't even go to GE, just rode ST (which we like better than MFSR) a few times before heading out to another park. Felt like we'd done a day's worth of fun in just 3 hours.:D

For anyone staying at a park hotel, it is totally worth dragging yourself up at 5am to go!

And necessary once RotR is online.

huwbart

Sorry didn't see a post to indicate if virtual queue is needed at the moment? I'm going at the end of the month and have droid depot booked to ensure we can get into the land but would rather not have to buy an extra droid just to get two extra people in (there are 6 of us). thanks in advance.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Sorry didn't see a post to indicate if virtual queue is needed at the moment? I'm going at the end of the month and have droid depot booked to ensure we can get into the land but would rather not have to buy an extra droid just to get two extra people in (there are 6 of us). thanks in advance.

Not anytime lately.

mergatroid

Was there for 2 weeks just over a week ago and everyday you could access Galaxy's Edge without waiting throughout the day. I can't see this changing before ROTR opens so you should be good going off what we experienced. Also one of our party had a reservation for the droid depot for 3:15pm on the day we did Galaxy's Edge at 6am. At around 8:30am we popped into the droid depot just to look around and it was fairly quiet. We asked whether she could build her droid then to save returning later and they were happy to let her do that and just ticked her off the list for 3:15pm so she wasn't charged for not showing later on in the day. She loved building it and bringing it to 'life' and was also very pleased with the end result of her droid.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Was there for 2 weeks just over a week ago and everyday you could access Galaxy's Edge without waiting throughout the day. I can't see this changing before ROTR opens so you should be good going off what we experienced. Also one of our party had a reservation for the droid depot for 3:15pm on the day we did Galaxy's Edge at 6am. At around 8:30am we popped into the droid depot just to look around and it was fairly quiet. We asked whether she could build her droid then to save returning later and they were happy to let her do that and just ticked her off the list for 3:15pm so she wasn't charged for not showing later on in the day. She loved building it and bringing it to 'life' and was also very pleased with the end result of her droid.
Again...they were shutdown on the first day. There is really no reason to “activate” them again. Lines may go up...but opening day crunch is over...to say the least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom