News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Yes, and simply put

You can buy a $40 wand and USE it in the land at many places without learning a lot or doing tons of "missions" to unlock things the way it seems you have to do with a datapad.

There are some whimsical things, and "living creatures" in Batuu, but IMO they're a bit hidden and few and far between. There's a lot more motion and sensory experiences in Diagon Alley
I know that I'm probably a sucker but I was really looking forward to buying something that would interact with the land. Not a wand of course but if the lightsabers preformed the same function or some other starwarsy think was available I would be all over it. As it stands the droids, and light sabers that you cant use in the land dont do it for me. Plus if the pirates search game in magic kingdom has things that move as you participate, how can nothing really move as you do the data pad in Galexys edge.

ImperfectPixie

Not 100% sure if it's true or not, but a member of my FB group told me last night that she and her family WERE allowed to play-fight the stormtroopers with their lightsabers - both one they bought in the land and one they brought with them.

BoarderPhreak

I think it's interesting that many comment that Galaxy's Edge is "dull" but Hogsmeade never got this response despite a much duller color scheme...
Have you not been to England? Grey clouds and old stone buildings are the status quo. So I'd say it's on point. Anything else and you'd wonder what the designers were smoking. It ain't Austin Powers.

On the other hand, SWGE looks as I would expect a far flung outpost to look. It's not shiny and colorful, it's faded and worn.

Hawg G

Not 100% sure if it's true or not, but a member of my FB group told me last night that she and her family WERE allowed to play-fight the stormtroopers with their lightsabers - both one they bought in the land and one they brought with them.

I saw two guys take out their sabers for pics with Rey 2 days ago. I was surprised, as I expected her to say they couldn’t pull them out, heh heh.

Mickeyboof

I think it's interesting that many comment that Galaxy's Edge is "dull" but Hogsmeade never got this response despite a much duller color scheme.
22663132784_4f09b8723f_b.jpg

9oXMyIhDTjanfV2DI0g8xw_thumb_135-5c4b6b2d46e0fb0001f21df6.jpg

But, I don't think this is hypocritical. I actually think it's a genuine feeling that is the result of a lack of auditory stimulation rather than visual.

It’s absolutely a mix of auditory simulation, but the visual is still in play here.

Hogmeade is that romantic winter town from your dreams. Regardless of Harry Potter lore, you can close your eyes and imagine this kind of wonderful place. In the books it is the place you shiver through on the way to a warm snuggle up with your crush and a delicious drink.

The “bleak” outside is a genius contrast to the explosion of pure warmth and color on the inside. It’s a snowy Christmas town!

Whereas, inside the buildings of Galaxy’s Edge is a continuation of cold concrete. Granted, there isn’t much warmth and giggly young love in Star Wars, but I think the whole of it subconsciously mixes into a feeling that is strange in a Disney Park- that cold bleak feeling.

Now, I don’t think the physical land as it stands is a failure. I think it needs the warmth though, which comes from John Williams motifs and some native life. It comes from the power of the Jedi. Those missing elements will be the welcoming embrace currently missing.

As it stands today, Galaxy’s Edge feels without hope, which might be because it’s following the current status of the films. Which is an ambitious move on the part of the storyteller. But unfortunately it isn’t fair to the guests.

Stripes

It’s absolutely a mix of auditory simulation, but the visual is still in play here.

Hogmeade is that romantic winter town from your dreams. Regardless of Harry Potter lore, you can close your eyes and imagine this kind of wonderful place. In the books it is the place you shiver through on the way to a warm snuggle up with your crush and a delicious drink.

The “bleak” outside is a genius contrast to the explosion of pure warmth and color on the inside. It’s a snowy Christmas town!

Whereas, inside the buildings of Galaxy’s Edge is a continuation of cold concrete. Granted, there isn’t much warmth and giggly young love in Star Wars, but I think the whole of it subconsciously mixes into a feeling that is strange in a Disney Park- that cold bleak feeling.

Now, I don’t think the physical land as it stands is a failure. I think it needs the warmth though, which comes from John Williams motifs and some native life. It comes from the power of the Jedi. Those missing elements will be the welcoming embrace currently missing.

As it stands today, Galaxy’s Edge feels without hope, which might be because it’s following the current status of the films. Which is an ambitious move on the part of the storyteller. But unfortunately it isn’t fair to the guests.
Interesting analysis.

I would disagree with you that the themed facades in Galaxy's Edge are cold. Less cheerful than Hogsmeade, yes, but I attribute that largely to the differences of the two series. Harry Potter's story takes place on Earth which makes the environments inherently more familiar in appearance. But the exterior and interior facades of Galaxy's Edge are certainly not cold.

Otherwise, I completely agree that the land needs a bigger resistance presence (and that includes shows) to liven up the place. As well as different audio in the land. Watch this, courtesy of @Movielover. Completely changes the feel of the place.

Mickeyboof

Interesting analysis.

I would disagree with you that the themed facades in Galaxy's Edge are cold. Less cheerful than Hogsmeade, yes, but I attribute that largely to the differences of the two series. Harry Potter's story takes place on Earth which makes the environments inherently more familiar in appearance. But the exterior and interior facades of Galaxy's Edge are certainly not cold.

Otherwise, I completely agree that the land needs a bigger resistance presence (and that includes shows) to liven up the place. As well as different audio in the land. Watch this, courtesy of @Movielover. Completely changes the feel of the place.

I guess I’d have to say I felt Disneyland’s scheme was cold.

Disney World’s is much, much more welcoming in terms of visual tonality.

EDIT: also, did anyone else feel they were on a different planet? Pandora feels like a different planet. Batuu was all pine trees and Moroccan inspired buildings.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Interesting analysis.

giphy.gif

Stripes

I guess I’d have to say I felt Disneyland’s scheme was cold.

Disney World’s is much, much more welcoming in terms of visual tonality.
I agree with this too. Initially, I posted a thread on the differences between the two lands (before they opened) and commented that I liked them both equally. I have to change that assessment. WDW's version is superior, to my eyes.

I suspect that Disneyland's version is more toned down for two reasons: (1) The quality of the sky in Anaheim is different than Orlando, with all of the smog. This necessitates some color differences in order to make it look natural. (2) The mountain range/petrified trees had to blend well with the Rivers of America. The vibrancy of Orlando's version probably wouldn't have meshed as well.

Mickeyboof

I agree with this too. Initially, I posted a thread on the differences between the two lands (before they opened) and commented that I liked them both equally. I have to change that assessment. WDW's version is superior, to my eyes.

I suspect that Disneyland's version is more toned down for two reasons: (1) The quality of the sky in Anaheim is different than Orlando, with all of the smog. This necessitates some color differences in order to make it look natural. (2) The mountain range/petrified trees had to blend well with the Rivers of America. The vibrancy of Orlando's version probably wouldn't have meshed as well.

I wouldn’t mind the “unnatural” blend of the WDW Spires against Rivers of America.

Anyone with photoshop want to make a mock up of this look?

The natural version looks too much like Earth.

I’m actually shocked there is no “Batuu” specific plant life. All the trees and ferns are wildly familiar to the planet in which Harry Potter is set.

And the CMs don’t sell the “edge of the galaxy” vibe whatsoever.

It’s hard to even differentiate the Falcon from the DL rockwork. The whole visual treat is quite harbored because it seems like it was built from the same material and covered in the same paint. So sad.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Just saw the Goldberg's episode with the reference to SWL. Was the tie-in a last minute demand or in the works for a while? It seemed a little forced the way a Philadelphia family would decide to drive to Disneyland.

Mickeyboof

Just saw the Goldberg's episode with the reference to SWL. Was the tie-in a last minute demand or in the works for a while? It seemed a little forced the way a Philadelphia family would decide to drive to Disneyland.

I wonder what regular Americans thought this week. Turning on the TV and this land is shoved into two sitcoms and endlessly on the talk shows.

I can’t imagine it helps Disney’s image.

Almost every conversation I overhear is about how Disney owns everything. This just perpetuates that view. I wish Disney was still a special boutique company. :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom