News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Monorail_Orange

I don't know... I liked the original MGM. Maybe not on opening day, but at least the way it was in the mid-late 1990s or early 2000s (I'm kind of guessing on the time frame).

I think that park was more interesting (and certainly more thematically consistent) than the mishmash that's there now.

As for DAK, I don't think anyone needs to pine for that because it really hasn't changed. Very little has been taken away from Animal Kingdom; it's been almost entirely additions.
Well, I was talking about opening day, but I agree MGM had it's first heyday in the mid to late 90s when it was "built out" in its first incarnation - the Backlot Studio Tour (both riding and walking), GMR, Indy, ST 1.0 (once it came online), the Monster Sound Show, and a personal favorite, Superstar Television. Sure, we added ToT and RnR, but then Superstar TV was gone, replaced with Doug (a show Disney ruined compared to it's original on Nick), and MSS was replaced with Sounds Dangerous (this was OK in and of itself, but lost something compared to MSS with guests trying to be Foley artists).

mikejs78

Premium Member
You’re putting star tours on a pedestal it honestly never was.

The fact they took Star Wars and put it in a simple motion simulator was a punt by George and Disney from the start.

So if the bar is there...what are we even saying?
My only point was that it had very little in the way of OT characters, and no one really complained about that. The lack of OT characters isn't in my view the problem with the land's launch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My only point was that it had very little in the way of OT characters, and no one really complained about that. The lack of OT characters isn't in my view the problem with the land's launch.
It’s been awhile...but the music combined with the r2 and 3po provided a good deal of association with the movies. And of course the “tour bus”’did do OT stuff as it detoured.

Or did I imagine the whole thing?

The problem with star tours is it was not ambitious enough for the IP...should have built TROR’s xwing coaster decades ago. Eisner and LFL never got along to be ambitious though

CinematicFusion

We are going to build a new Star Wars based theme park ride, the first of its kind. It will not have:

People saying "May the Force be with you"
Darth Vader
Yoda
Chewbacca
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Han Solo
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Boba Fett
The Emperor
Jabba the Hutt
Admiral Ackbar
Darth Maul
Mace Windu
The Millennium Falcon
Tatooine
Hoth
Mustafar
Naboo
Aliens
Bounty hunters
Jedi
Ewoks
Jawa
Lightsaber fights
Or that darn Cantina Band!!!

It's called Star Tours, and it was still insanely popular, despite missing all of those elements.

Star Tours did have the battle with the Death Star at the end. Death Star is considered one of... if not the most iconic land in all of Star Wars.
R2 was helping fly the ship and John Williams music set the scene. Star Tours set up one of the biggest scenes in all the movies. The death star trench run.
As best as the ride could using tech of that day, it put you right in the shoes of a young Luke Skywalker. Even used the John Williams trench run music. That was Huge and felt like you were in Star Wars.
As a kid, it almost felt like Han and Luke were in another ship battling with you.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Aren’t there more droid animatronics in Star Tours than there are in Galaxy’s Edge?

I think people would be fine with “less OT” if it felt like the designers got creative with the Star Wars universe.

Unfortunately it seems like they built a big pretty land and forgot to populate it with characters. It’s stupefying, really.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are the “problems”...in your opinion?

I see you countering the reasons others have come up with...which is completely legit...but what do you think?

TalkingHead

It’s been awhile...but the music combined with the r2 and 3po provided a good deal of association with the movies. And of course the “tour bus”’did do OT stuff as it detoured.

Or did I imagine the whole thing?

The problem with star tours is it was not ambitious enough for the IP...should have built TROR’s xwing coaster decades ago. Eisner and LFL never got along to be ambitious though

I disagree. For 1987 I think Star Tours, the ride and the queue, was quite ambitious. Certainly it was unlike anything Disney had done before and ushered in a new era of thrill rides for the parks.

I’m not as crazy about the 2.0 redo, but the original film was masterfully satisfying to movie fans and the general public alike.

Purduevian

Aren’t there more droid animatronics in Star Tours than there are in Galaxy’s Edge?

Off the top of my head: Star Tours has
1) R2D2 in line
2) C3PO in line
3)Baggage security droid
4)Human scanner security droid
5,6,7,8,9, 10) C3PO in cockpit of each of the 6 shuttles

SWGE (Never been so I might be missing some)
1) Roasters Droid spinning spit
2)R2D2 in store
3) 3 junkyard droids
4)Hondo's side kick

Edit: 5) DJ Rex

Any others?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree. For 1987 I think Star Tours, the ride and the queue, was quite ambitious. Certainly it was unlike anything Disney had done before and ushered in a new era of thrill rides for the parks.

I’m not as crazy about the 2.0 redo, but the original film was masterfully satisfying to movie fans and the general public alike.
Caravan on a stick...it was very 80’s.

I think a better ride system would have elevated the attraction over time.

I’ll grant you that for its day it was seen as “more ambitious”...but the reality is a more thrilling ride was always warranted.

Still don’t have a true Star Wars thrillride. But that happens when you underdevelop parks for all ages

TalkingHead

Off the top of my head: Star Tours has
1) R2D2 in line
2) C3PO in line
3)Baggage security droid
4)Human scanner security droid
5,6,7,8,9, 10) C3PO in cockpit of each of the 6 shuttles

SWGE (Never been so I might be missing some)
1) Roasters Droid spinning spit
2)R2D2 in store
3) 3 junkyard droids
4)Hondo's side kick

Any others?

The DJ droid in the cantina.

There are also the creatures in the control room in the first big room in Star Tours.

I really wasn’t sure which had more animatronics. And of course the other ride hasn’t opened.

But the fact that it’s even close at this point...

wdizneew

The DJ droid in the cantina.

There are also the creatures in the control room in the first big room in Star Tours.

I really wasn’t sure which had more animatronics. And of course the other ride hasn’t opened.

But the fact that it’s even close at this point...

I rode smugglers run 4x this past weekend:

The maintenance bay needs at least 1-2 more animatronics IMO. The booster/rocket thing in the center isn't enough. Disney heavily relies on the Datapad in the Play App to keep people entertained but I think for most people, they'd rather have something front and center (i.e. action in the queue line) versus pulling open an app and staring at a screen. We didn't pay to stand in line looking at our phones, we want to be IN the action!

Also, in the chess room, the CMs loaded people really quickly so sometimes it felt like we couldn't see everything inside or take pics with the chess board. The coolest moment was when the MF started to malfunction and a CM approached me (i was an engineer) and grabbed me over to the corner to push green highlighted buttons to fix the MF quickly.

Monorail_Orange

Even used the John Williams trench run music.
Funnily enough, it did not use the trench run music for its trench run, it actually uses the music from the Falcon fighting off the TIEs after they escape from the Death Star. The track is titled "Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack." Listen from 2:04, matches the Death Star surface sequence, then at 2:58 is your transition into the trench on Star Tours, at 3:30 is "It's a hit! All ships jump to lightspeed!"

DisneyNorthFan

While I agree that Disney is disappointed with attendance for GE, that does not mean it is a failure. It could be bringing incremental visitors to the park. Spending within the land seems to be good - especially for premium drinks and merchandise experiences. A "short" line for the single ride can be a function of many things, including 6am extra, extra magic hours, no fastpass, and extra magic hours at MK and AK. In some ways, those experiencing GE now with lower crowds than Disney may have hoped for could be a good thing in the long-term. The guest experience is so much better under these conditions, and if in fact they are new-to-Disney guests, the likelihood of making them return guests is much higher under the present conditions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I agree that Disney is disappointed with attendance for GE, that does not mean it is a failure. It could be bringing incremental visitors to the park. Spending within the land seems to be good - especially for premium drinks and merchandise experiences. A "short" line for the single ride can be a function of many things, including 6am extra, extra magic hours, no fastpass, and extra magic hours at MK and AK. In some ways, those experiencing GE now with lower crowds than Disney may have hoped for could be a good thing in the long-term. The guest experience is so much better under these conditions, and if in fact they are new-to-Disney guests, the likelihood of making them return guests is much higher under the present conditions.
I can agree with everything you said except this...

There’s no indication it has driven attendance at all...it is documented to have done the opposite at Disneyland. The land isn’t a failure but the launch surely is.

DisneyNorthFan

I can agree with everything you said except this...

There’s no indication it has driven attendance at all...it is documented to have done the opposite at Disneyland. The land isn’t a failure but the launch surely is.
You're absolutely right - it has very definitely not drive attendance in the absolute - but "incremental" in how I meant it looks at people who would not have otherwise made a trip to WDW. I don't think we have the data to know this aspect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're absolutely right - it has very definitely not drive attendance in the absolute - but "incremental" in how I meant it looks at people who would not have otherwise made a trip to WDW. I don't think we have the data to know this aspect.
True...but the early returns don’t indicate that.

It’s just as slow as usual for this month if not more slow:

October will be busy...as will most of November and December.

The problem is it has been for a decade as well and Hotel capacity is nearly the same. So if people are gonna post “ROTR wait is 2 hours..:it’s a hit!”...I’m gonna have to fire a warning shot on that. The only thing to prove it’s driving attendance are attendance numbers up property wide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom