News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Incomudro

As I said, immersion is not the purpose of a theme park attraction.

It's part of the purpose of this land, and it's certainly part of the purpose of this ride.
Giving guests an experience that comes as close as possible to their dream of flying the Falcon can only be done by a simulator.
Not a coaster.
That's why a simulator is used for pilot training.
Arguing that a coaster is more fun - which it may arguably be, but in a different way - is not getting the point.

Last edited:

Rich T

No type of coaster would fit what Disney is going for here in Galaxy's Edge.
Every aspect of this place is aiming for some level of authenticity if you will.
A coaster ride is always a coaster.
They could have come up with a speeder bike coaster or something along those lines that would have been at *least* as believable as the proposed Bantha ride. As long as the land itself is impressive, I think 99.99 % of the public would be fine with a coaster as long as a token effort was made to make it fit in. It's a theme park land recreating a make-believe world that never existed, and the moment it's flooded with Jane and Joe public and their offspring, all attempts at "realism" will be out the window. The thing I'm wondering about is: Is it worth it to try for more immersion at the expense of making it--first and foremost--a great, satisfying ride? I'm glad they gave this version of a Falcon ride a shot, and I can't wait to try it. But I think most people would also be fine with something like a cleverly disguised fantastic coaster that offers a better ride at the expense of a better illusion.
(EDIT)
Especially after waiting in line for five hours.

Mac Tonight

It's part of the purpose of this land, and it's certainly part of the purpose of this ride.
Giving guests and experience that comes as close as possible to their dream of flying the Falcon can only be done by a simulator.
Not a coaster.
That's why a simulator is used for pilot training.
Arguing that a coaster is more fun - which it may arguably be, but in a different way - is not getting the point.
I must be an anomaly then because I've seen every single Star Wars movie... and I can't say my SW dream is to fly the Falcon. Like, not even remotely.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Sorry to bump in but...

Have you read about the Dianoga surprise at GE, Disneyland?!
Sooooo cool!
Here's hoping WDW gets it too! 🤞
20190523_134025.jpg

Move along, move along 😉

Rich T

I must be an anomaly then because I've seen every single Star Wars movie... and I can't say my SW dream is to fly the Falcon. Like, not even remotely.
Me neither. My Star Wars dream is to enjoy the story without ever experiencing anything that happens in that world, because, face it: The Universe of Star Wars would be a completely crap-o place to live. Well, okay, I'd like to eat at Dex's place.

mickEblu

The thing I'm wondering about is: Is it worth it to try for more immersion at the expense of making it--first and foremost--a great, satisfying ride? I'm glad they gave this version of a Falcon ride a shot, and I can't wait to try it. But I think most people would also be fine with something like a cleverly disguised fantastic coaster that offers a better ride at the expense of a better illusion.
(EDIT)
Especially after waiting in line for five hours.

Great point. First and foremost they need to make these rides fun. Modern WDI forgets this sometimes - partly due to the blessing of new technology so they end up trying to do much instead of focusing on the obvious- making a theme park ride fun.

VJ

It’s very cool and I was convinced I would buy one but is it just me or does older Pee Wee not sound like younger Pee Wee from Star Tours? Or maybe the sound is just coming out a little muffled? I dunno being that he’s $150, not in his original form and I’m not thrilled with the sound I might pass.
You mean to tell me a voice actor's voice changes over 32 years?!!?? You've gotta be kidding me!

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom