News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

yensidtlaw1969

Falcon’s Run was a mistake of an attraction. They should’ve just built an indoor space coaster where the riders pilot an X Wing or a TIE and they fly around and through a Star Destroyer.
Count me in as someone who feels somewhat pleased that we didn't get that -- love Disney though I do, their track record for high-level, boundary-pushing theming of indoor roller coasters isn't actually stupendous. The traditional Space Mountain succeeds on a conceptual level in a way that makes up for its execution, which isn't really all that impressive. DLP did a bit better with its Space but walked that back years ago with the lower quality Misson 2. Neither of the Rock N' Roller Coasters improve on this, and Crush's Coaster's theming falls off as soon as the real coaster portion begins in earnest. TRON seems to suffer some similar ills as RNR, where the trees never really converge into a forest, so to speak. It's plainly evident at all times that you're on a coaster.

I won't even count the Space Mountain Overlays - Ghost Galaxy, Rockin', and Hyperspace - because Disney clearly doesn't take those that seriously.

Unless Guardians at Epcot really changes their game, Disney seems to have made up their mind that they can skimp a little on the ambition of their coaster design and commitment to immersion as the speed of the ride picks up. Which makes *some* sense, but makes me think that even a full-tilt version of an indoor X Wing Coaster wouldn't have been able to achieve the immersiveness to which Galaxy's Edge aspires the way that Falcon does. Having not ridden it yet I can't speak with authority, but it seems that even with the purported shortcomings (and I'm ready to believe they are valid) the attraction still subscribes to a level of ambition and commitment I wouldn't think reasonable to expect Disney to provide in an indoor coaster. Hyperspace Mountain is clearly not representative of the full potential of this sort of attraction, but even then a ride the style and scope of Falcon seems a head above what would come from pushing that coaster to even the furthest limit.

EDITED To Add: Not to mention that it seems to speak a similar experiential language to ROTR - a seamless, fully realized, environmental experience that captures and depicts the vastness of the Star Wars no matter where you look. Even if it's not perfect.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Count me in as someone who feels somewhat pleased that we didn't get that -- love Disney though I do, their track record for high-level, boundary-pushing theming of indoor roller coasters isn't actually stupendous. The traditional Space Mountain succeeds on a conceptual level in a way that makes up for its execution, which isn't really all that impressive. DLP did a bit better with its Space but walked that back years ago with the lower quality Misson 2. Neither of the Rock N' Roller Coasters improve on this, and Crush's Coaster's theming falls off as soon as the real coaster portion begins in earnest. TRON seems to suffer some similar ills as RNR, where the trees never really converge into a forest, so to speak. It's plainly evident at all times that you're on a coaster.

I won't even count the Space Mountain Overlays - Ghost Galaxy, Rockin', and Hyperspace - because Disney clearly doesn't take those that seriously.

Unless Guardians at Epcot really changes their game, Disney seems to have made up their mind that they can skimp a little on the ambition of their coaster design and commitment to immersion as the speed of the ride picks up. Which makes *some* sense, but makes me think that even a full-tilt version of an indoor X Wing Coaster wouldn't have been able to achieve the immersiveness to which Galaxy's Edge aspires the way that Falcon does. Having not ridden it yet I can't speak with authority, but it seems that even with the purported shortcomings (and I'm ready to believe they are valid) the attraction still subscribes to a level of ambition and commitment I wouldn't think reasonable to expect Disney to provide in an indoor coaster. Hyperspace Mountain is clearly not representative of the full potential of this sort of attraction, but even then a ride the style and scope of Falcon seems a head above what would come from pushing that coaster to even the furthest limit.

Nice post.

It doesn’t sound like the Falcon is representative of the full potential of a modern simulator either...especially one based on the Falcon. Which one do you think would be more fun after 5 times? The coaster would still have its elaborate queue and then like you said it would have its drop off in quality the same way Falcon does... but it would be fun.

Rich T

EDITED To Add: Not to mention that it seems to speak a similar experiential language to ROTR - a seamless, fully realized, environmental experience that captures and depicts the vastness of the Star Wars no matter where you look. Even if it's not perfect.
While I agree with what you’ve said here, I enjoy coasters more than simulators. I’d rather ride a well-themed coaster than a moving box even if the coaster provides a less “believable” experience.

yensidtlaw1969

Nice post.

It doesn’t sound like the Falcon is representative of the full potential of a modern simulator... especially one based on the Falcon. Which one do you think would be more fun after 5 times? The coaster would still have its elaborate queue and then like you said the coaster would have its dropped off in quality the same way Falcon does... but it would be fun.
I suppose that's possible, though I'm inclined to tip slightly in favor of Falcon out of the sheer fact that that style ride is predisposed to be editable - if they really find it's not hitting with guests on some level, there is the potential that they go in and rework what they have to tune it more to the experience guests are looking for from the ride. Whether that's more physical thrills, which can be programmed, or additional missions, which sound to be at the very least in the pipeline if not just waiting to be switched on, or better graphics, which is easy enough to say but the tech is always getting better. Coasters don't typically offer the level of flexibility that the Falcon ride system has at nearly every turn. I know that Disney doesn't jump at the chance to make good on that kind of flexibility all the time, but I'd bet if word gets out that the big new ride opening their big new land isn't quite doing it for a lot of guests that they'd get serious about fine-tuning that experience.

Mac Tonight

I suppose that's possible, though I'm inclined to tip slightly in favor of Falcon out of the sheer fact that that style ride is predisposed to be editable - if they really find it's not hitting with guests on some level, there is the potential that they go in and rework what they have to tune it more to the experience guests are looking for from the ride. Whether that's more physical thrills, which can be programmed, or additional missions, which sound to be at the very least in the pipeline if not just waiting to be switched on, or better graphics, which is easy enough to say but the tech is always getting better. Coasters don't typically offer the level of flexibility that the Falcon ride system has at nearly every turn. I know that Disney doesn't jump at the chance to make good on that kind of flexibility all the time, but I'd bet if word gets out that the big new ride opening their big new land isn't quite doing it for a lot of guests that they'd get serious about fine-tuning that experience.
The only drawback there is that we might get more things like The Incredicoaster and Pixar Pier.

Overall though, I feel like Disney is painfully slow to action where overall guest satisfaction is concerned. Because for every one of us that might be vocal about it being lackluster, there's a family of 5 out there that "LOVE" it. For actual big changes to be made, attendance figures would have to bottom out, and I really don't see that happening with this.

yensidtlaw1969

While I agree with what you’ve said here, I enjoy coasters more than simulators. I’d rather ride a well-themed coaster than a moving box even if the coaster provides a less “believable” experience.
In general I'd actually say the same thing - I'd take Big Thunder over Star Tours any day of the week. But if they're seeking to abide by a certain "hyper-real" world-building attraction aesthetic, the Falcon simulator seems to allow you to envelop guests completely in that particular world in a way that a coaster doesn't. The best themed coasters, generally, "make sense of their tracks". When they try to pretend they aren't there, you run into some trouble (Which is something I fear will hamper Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, but I suppose that's for another thread). Unless they were really, immaculately careful about making an X Wing coaster a totally seamless experience, Falcon seems to be the more stylistically appropriate choice for bringing Star Wars to life.

mickEblu

All fair points. For me personally the Falcon simulator on it’s best day wouldn’t be more fun than a purpose built indoor Star Wars roller coaster.

yensidtlaw1969

The only drawback there is that we might get more things like The Incredicoaster and Pixar Pier.

Overall though, I feel like Disney is painfully slow to action where overall guest satisfaction is concerned. Because for every one of us that might be vocal about it being lackluster, there's a family of 5 out there that "LOVE" it. For actual big changes to be made, attendance figures would have to bottom out, and I really don't see that happening with this.
Like I said, I think Galaxy's Edge would be an exception here - they've already got one foot in their mouth with Rise of the Resistance not being ready, I think if the consensus about Falcon was anything less than "It blew my hair back and cleared my skin" they'd have vested interest in turning that impression around to save some face. They're counting on this ride to do heavy lifting for the reputation of this investment. That said, you're right that these days there are plenty of folks who are ready to shout from the rooftops seemingly any time Disney replaces a roll of toilet paper, so we'll have to see. It would take a seriously imperfect liftoff for them to do major reworking, but I bet they plan to tune things a bit as people start experiencing the thing for real. They want this ride to be THE hit. Until ROTR comes along, anyway.

I don't think in this case we have to worry about Disney trying to dress things up here with IP in places it doesn't belong the way they did with Pixar Pier (though you can argue that Star Wars on the back of Frontierland is exactly that by nature . . . and people have . . . and they weren't wrong . . .). The only flavor-of-the-week properties they'd add in this land would surely be Star Wars related.

Mac Tonight

Like I said, I think Galaxy's Edge would be an exception here - they've already got one foot in their mouth with Rise of the Resistance not being ready, I think if the consensus about Falcon was anything less than "It blew my hair back and cleared my skin" they'd have vested interest in turning that impression around to save some face. They're counting on this ride to do heavy lifting for the reputation of this investment. That said, you're right that these days there are plenty of folks who are ready to shout from the rooftops seemingly any time Disney replaces a roll of toilet paper, so we'll have to see. It would take a seriously imperfect liftoff for them to do major reworking, but I bet they plan to tune things a bit as people start experiencing the thing for real. They want this ride to be THE hit. Until ROTR comes along, anyway.
It's like they literally painted themselves between a rock and a hard place. They couldn't not have the full land open and then later admit that MF fell short of expectations. The company (namely Iger's ego) would never allow for that. They'd spin it as "a NEW mission awaits" or something like that.

truecoat

This whole idea of people hiking around GE with interactive droids strapped to their backs in bulky backpacks...In the world's most mobbed theme park land... Oh, I'm being silly. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Especially if I can blutooth hijack it and blast some old school Ministry or Skinny Puppy out it's tinny little speaker. Not that I'd do something like that.

Rich T

I don't think in this case we have to worry about Disney trying to dress things up here with IP in places it doesn't belong the way they did with Pixar Pier (though you can argue that Star Wars on the back of Frontierland is exactly that by nature . . . and people have . . . and they weren't wrong . . .). The only flavor-of-the-week properties they'd add in this land would surely be Star Wars related.
I predict we'll see Darth Vader walking around Black Spire Outpost before summer's end. :D

yensidtlaw1969

I predict we'll see Darth Vader walking around Black Spire Outpost before summer's end. :D
Just spare me this:

Incomudro

Nice post.

It doesn’t sound like the Falcon is representative of the full potential of a modern simulator either...especially one based on the Falcon. Which one do you think would be more fun after 5 times? The coaster would still have its elaborate queue and then like you said it would have its drop off in quality the same way Falcon does... but it would be fun.

No type of coaster would fit what Disney is going for here in Galaxy's Edge.
Every aspect of this place is aiming for some level of authenticity if you will.
A coaster ride is always a coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom