News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

bshah365

There are many different statements going around about the Target Solo special... I'm hearing that guests will freely explore the falcon and will be called once their turn comes.... this seems similar to receiving a vibrating puck and waiting for your table to be ready at a restaurant. If, this is true, the waiting room that guests will be in, is the room with the table and booth seating.. it's also said that the waiting room has many interactive buttons to play with... But a while back, it was said that guests will not be able to see others in line inside the falcon as Disney is trying to immerse guests into believing that there is only one cockpit and they are the only ones actually flying the ship... I'm left wondering which theory is correct as these statements contradict each other..

TP2000

I wonder where the turtles go when the river is drained.

When they drain the river every 7 or 8 years at Disneyland, or every 25 or 30 years at WDW :cool:, I remember reading in the OC Register that they collect the turtles, keep them in tanks and care for them, and then replant back into the river six months later.

But just to confuse the issue, The Turtles have also been known to go on The Ed Sullivan Show.

TP2000

When the RoA is completely drained, the rest of that "brown-water" system--including castle moat to Jungle Cruise--is still there. When the water is drained, CMs relocate the turtles to the remaining areas or care for them at the Circle D Ranch.

Thank you, that's the more correct info I read in the Register once. They collect the turtles and place them elsewhere in the park, then relocate them back to the river when the water returns. Their agent is responsible for calling Ed Sullivan.

Old Mouseketeer

There are many different statements going around about the Target Solo special... I'm hearing that guests will freely explore the falcon and will be called once their turn comes.... this seems similar to receiving a vibrating puck and waiting for your table to be ready at a restaurant. If, this is true, the waiting room that guests will be in, is the room with the table and booth seating.. it's also said that the waiting room has many interactive buttons to play with... But a while back, it was said that guests will not be able to see others in line inside the falcon as Disney is trying to immerse guests into believing that there is only one cockpit and they are the only ones actually flying the ship... I'm left wondering which theory is correct as these statements contradict each other..

It sounds to me like each group is admitted through the portside docking ring (#12 below--not the ramp we are used to seeing) to enjoy the interior of the Falcon for a few minutes while the carousel cycles and they can board their cockpit and I think maybe exiting through the starboardside docking ring (#2). I think this is brilliant, but it suggests that there are actually four Falcon interiors. I had speculated that there could be only two with some way to serve two carousels from one interior, but now I'm not so sure. Here is my best guess (posted here before).
Falcon5.jpg

BrianLo

Original Poster
Maybe the ramblings of a crazy person... how cool would it be to have a cantina of sorts pre-falcon? Sort of like an airport lounge. Basically the WDW's Dumbo play area. Four pre-lounge areas prior to boarding. It would be a worthy way of knocking off 20-30 minutes pre-FP merge.

Or would that just make the standby lines even longer?

Sorry adults, you can have a drink but then you have to be the Engineer for sober little Timmy.

Phroobar

Maybe the ramblings of a crazy person... how cool would it be to have a cantina of sorts pre-falcon? Sort of like an airport lounge. Basically the WDW's Dumbo play area. Four pre-lounge areas prior to boarding. It would be a worthy way of knocking off 20-30 minutes pre-FP merge.

Or would that just make the standby lines even longer?

Sorry adults, you can have a drink but then you have to be the Engineer for sober little Timmy.
Just like Ford, don't drink and fly the Falcon.

491413.jpg

KABC_plane_crash_ford_inset_jef_150305_16x9_992.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

More great aerial photos are in for the DHS version, which is 4 to 6 months behind the Disneyland version. They are officially linked via the DHS thread, but I'll put them here as they are very interesting to see in such high quality. https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...y's-edge-aerial-pictures---september-2018.htm

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33559.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33557.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33558.jpg

I find it interesting that they have chosen not to do a tunnel entry from Toy Story Land. Just a dogleg turn to a wide walkway. I'm not an Imagineer, but it seems a tunnel or covered walkway would make for a more dramatic entrance and better buffer from day-glo Toy Story Land a few dozen yards to the north. :confused:

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33562.jpg

That Toy Story Land entrance walkway is in the same spot as the middle entrance of the two entries from Big Thunder Trail, shown here at ground level. I understand they didn't have a railroad berm to work with in DHS, but why just leave it an open trench instead of a cavern?
maxresdefault.jpg

RedGinger

It sounds to me like each group is admitted through the portside docking ring (#12 below--not the ramp we are used to seeing) to enjoy the interior of the Falcon for a few minutes while the carousel cycles and they can board their cockpit and I think maybe exiting through the starboardside docking ring (#2). I think this is brilliant, but it suggests that there are actually four Falcon interiors. I had speculated that there could be only two with some way to serve two carousels from one interior, but now I'm not so sure. Here is my best guess (posted here before).
View attachment 317458

I would buy that there are multiple Falcon interiors. In watching various construction videos (especially the yensid vids) there has seemed to be multitudes of nondescript corridor walls being loaded in, much more than needed for just one.

mickEblu

More great aerial photos are in for the DHS version, which is 4 to 6 months behind the Disneyland version. They are officially linked via the DHS thread, but I'll put them here as they are very interesting to see in such high quality. https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...y's-edge-aerial-pictures---september-2018.htm

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33559.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33557.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33558.jpg

I find it interesting that they have chosen not to do a tunnel entry from Toy Story Land. Just a dogleg turn to a wide walkway. I'm not an Imagineer, but it seems a tunnel or covered walkway would make for a more dramatic entrance and better buffer from day-glo Toy Story Land a few dozen yards to the north. :confused:

That Toy Story Land entrance walkway is in the same spot as the middle entrance of the two entries from Big Thunder Trail, shown here at ground level. I understand they didn't have a railroad berm to work with in DHS, but why just leave it an open trench instead of a cavern?
maxresdefault.jpg

I think the great part is if you have long legs you can stand in both SWL and TSL at the SAME time!

Ismael Flores

I don't get it. How will Disneyland even be walkable when Galaxy's Edge opens? Opening day alone will, in my mind, be in comparison to the infamous Black Sunday minus the news reporters making out with patrons.

i do believe the crowds will be huge but i don’t think it will be any different than when star tours, Indiana Jones and even Captain EO opened.
when those attractions opened the walkways were completely blocked and the lines for those rides spilled all the way to the main entrance.
some how i think TDA will manage to come up with a plan.

Maybe they should start considering organizing the backstage area from frontierland trail to the bra theater. they can set up switchbacks similar to how they used backstage area for queue overflow of MB.

i was thinking the same thing as i looked at those pictures. that transition must be the weakest i have seen in any disney park.

How difucult would it have been to add a tunnel as you mentioned with swinging gates. the gates would remain close blocking the service road during day. the tunnel could have easily been themed to look like an ant mound on the toy storyland side with maybe a few giant static ant figures coming out of a hole.
the side facing SWGE covered with rockwork and small landscape.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
Now that I see how they are planting the trees I think it should wind up being ok. Certainly they could have still built a single strip overhead, for some slightly more continuous trees above ground level. Not the whole thing though. That entrance is actually longer. Albeit if you consider big thunder trail as the actual entrance that’s moot.

No one seems to know the rationale. DL railway and the tunnel berm are two independent structures. So it was clearly a conscious choice to make that change.

I think they need to just lean into it and build some sort of LEGO Star Wars structure on the toy story border.

TP2000

I was thinking the same thing as i looked at those pictures. that transition must be the weakest i have seen in any disney park.

How difucult would it have been to add a tunnel as you mentioned with swinging gates. the gates would remain close blocking the service road during day. the tunnel could have easily been themed to look like an ant miund on the toy story land side with maybe a few giant static ant figures coming out of a hole.
the side facing SWGE covered with rockwork and small landscape.

If it was me, I would have just created a cavern by covering the existing dogleg path. Both entries to Star Wars Land in DHS would have been through caverns that way, mirroring the triple entry experience in Disneyland. Just a simple covering of the existing structure would do wonders in my opinion. But what do I know? I'm not an Imagineer.

InkedStar-Wars-Land_Full_33562_LI.jpg

The other entrance in DHS is through a short tunnel, but I think it works well at helping that very abrupt transition from Muppets Grand Ave. to Batuu.

InkedStar-Wars-Land_Full_33571_LI.jpg

InkedInkedStar-Wars-Land_Full_33567_LI.jpg

Last edited:

NateD1226

If it was me, I would have just created a cavern by covering the existing dogleg path. Both entries to Star Wars Land in DHS would have been through caverns that way, mirroring the triple entry experience in Disneyland. Just a simple covering of the existing structure would do wonders in my opinion. But what do I know? I'm not an Imagineer.

View attachment 317650

The other entrance in DHS is through a short tunnel, but I think it works well at helping that very abrupt transition from Muppets Grand Ave. to Batuu.

View attachment 317660

View attachment 317658
I like that idea so much! Time to apply to be an Imagineer! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom