News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I bet you guys can't wait till you get some aerials of the Anaheim version. :)

It would have to be satellite photos since Anaheim's SWL is so big.

Now that I see how they are planting the trees I think it should wind up being ok. Certainly they could have still built a single strip overhead, for some slightly more continuous trees above ground level. Not the whole thing though. That entrance is actually longer. Albeit if you consider big thunder trail as the actual entrance that’s moot.

No one seems to know the rationale. DL railway and the tunnel berm are two independent structures. So it was clearly a conscious choice to make that change.

I think they need to just lean into it and build some sort of LEGO Star Wars structure on the toy story border.

Doesn't even have to be LEGO Star Wars, just regular SW action figures!

SWGalaxysEdge

More great aerial photos are in for the DHS version, which is 4 to 6 months behind the Disneyland version. They are officially linked via the DHS thread, but I'll put them here as they are very interesting to see in such high quality. https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...y's-edge-aerial-pictures---september-2018.htm

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33559.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33557.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33558.jpg

I find it interesting that they have chosen not to do a tunnel entry from Toy Story Land. Just a dogleg turn to a wide walkway. I'm not an Imagineer, but it seems a tunnel or covered walkway would make for a more dramatic entrance and better buffer from day-glo Toy Story Land a few dozen yards to the north. :confused:

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33562.jpg

That Toy Story Land entrance walkway is in the same spot as the middle entrance of the two entries from Big Thunder Trail, shown here at ground level. I understand they didn't have a railroad berm to work with in DHS, but why just leave it an open trench instead of a cavern?
maxresdefault.jpg
Actually HS was going to have s tunnel for the TSL entrance but because Disneyland didn;t want theirs, HS changed theirs as well.

TP2000

Actually HS was going to have s tunnel for the TSL entrance but because Disneyland didn;t want theirs, HS changed theirs as well.

Huh??? I'm afraid you are confused at what has already been built at Disneyland. ;)

This is the tunnel at Disneyland we are referencing, in the same place as the dogleg entry path from Toy Story Land to Star Wars Land at DHS.
0729_nws_ocr-l-disneyriver-041.jpg

Or as seen a couple years ago under construction from the opposite side.
SWL-Dec-4-2.jpg

The Mur

Huh??? I'm afraid you are confused at what has already been built at Disneyland. ;)

This is the tunnel at Disneyland we are referencing, in the same place as the dogleg entry path from Toy Story Land to Star Wars Land at DHS.

SWL-Dec-4-2.jpg
Actually this is the other tunnel from the Fantasyland side of the Big Thunder pathway.

TP2000

Actually this is the other tunnel from the Fantasyland side of the Big Thunder pathway.

Oh, gosh, you're right!

Here's another photo of the same era that shows both of the tunnels that lead into the land from the Big Thunder Trail.

The tunnel on the left leads from the trail with the stagecoach, the tunnel on the right leads from the train trestle in front of it.
Ctt1yHWUMAAzClV.jpg

britain

Oh, gosh, you're right!

Here's another photo of the same era that shows both of the tunnels that lead into the land from the Big Thunder Trail.

The tunnel on the left leads from the trail with the stagecoach, the tunnel on the right leads from the train trestle in front of it.
Ctt1yHWUMAAzClV.jpg

We’ve come a long way, haven’t we? 😀

BrianLo

Original Poster

This was incorrectly stated information from Martin. Who knows approximately a million times more than I do, but he is occasionally (mostly rarely) off the mark.

The tunnel decision for DHS has nothing to do with TDA disallowing it, since it flies in direct contradiction to how they are building the project in Anaheim. Grand Avenue is actually more beefed up whereas the Toy Story Entrance is technically the opposite.

Ismael Flores

SWL-Dec-4-2.jpg

I'm a bit confused, the first picture is the entrance you see first when walking north from Frontierland. i think you were ok in your original post TP2000.

Isn't this the tunnel that mimics the entrance from toy story land?

This one below is the tunnel from the Fantasyland side at Disneyland.

41317740fb598724904622be1e6a8864.jpg

If I'm seeing things right I marked in yellow where the Fantasyland entrance in Disneyland version would fall in regards to the DHS version. The brown line is the stagecoach prop

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33558.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I'm a bit confused, the first picture is the entrance you see first when walking north from Frontierland. i think you were ok in your original post TP2000.

Isn't this the tunnel that mimics the entrance from toy story land?

This one below is the tunnel from the Fantasyland side at Disneyland.

View attachment 318074

If I'm seeing things right I marked in yellow where the Fantasyland entrance in Disneyland version would fall in regards to the DHS version. The brown line is the stagecoach prop

View attachment 318082

It is confusing. According to satellite imagery, the Toy Story Land entrance is in the same spot as the middle entrance at Disneyland.

The eastern entrance at Disneyland simply doesn’t exist in DHS, and the Critter Country entance is entirely different and missing a chunk of land and backdrop at DHS as it smooshes up against MuppetVision out there.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

SW News:

Jon Favreau shared some info on his new streaming service SW series which began production this week.
The show will be called "The Mandalorian".

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-wars-series-is-the-mandalorian/

SSG

Rumors from makingstarwars.net. Spoiler Warning in case they're right:

TV Spots are Filming Now!
I’ve heard a lot of rumors about the Millennium Falcon ride coming to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the Star Wars themed land coming to Disney Parks in 2019. Recently a commercial was filmed for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge centered around “early access” to the land. We aren’t sure if the early access will be for everyone or if this is a “Golden Ticket” type Willy Wonka opportunity for a few lucky winners. My sources say the ad was filmed about thirty minutes from where the current Live Action Television Series is filming. BB-8 was there with lots of people in “earth clothes” as well as people dressed for Batuu. To me it sounded like the boarding Star Tours videos where you had a mixture of tourists with Star Wars extras.

Hondo Ohnaka’s Transport Solutions
The ride will open with Hondo Ohnaka, owner of Hondo Ohnaka’s Transport Solutions sending your crew on mission to Corellia. Before you enter the ride, you will see the Falcon outside. As you go in and have some sort of encounter with Hondo you board the Falcon from underground on Batuu. We assume the idea is that the ship lowered underground to let you board that way. Your crew will then blast off and head toward the planet Corellia for one of three randomized missions.

This Star Wars themed land takes place in the timeline after the events of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The last time we saw Han Solo’s home planet in Solo: A Star Wars Story it wasn’t doing so well under the totalitarian control of The Empire. Well, sorry fans of liberty and justice but Corellia has been conquered by Kylo Ren. We have to think he saw the world and thought “that planet belongs to me.” Now the planet is churning out weapons like AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, and TIE Fighters for the First Order’s war machine (that DJ guy keeps making more and more sense to me in The Last Jedi). Hondo apparently sends you and your crew to this dangerous planet for your mission.

Your Falcon Flight Crew of Six Heroes!
The Falcon crew will consist of six riders. Each rider will have a specific job on the attraction itself. The first rider will control the ship’s direction, so its pretty much the Han Solo role in a way. The second rider will control the speed and velocity and I believe push the hyperspace lever. Riders three and four will be gunners and riders five and six will be engineers that fix the ship when it takes on damage during your adventure.

Hondo’s Missions for your crew!
After leaving Batuu and arriving on Corellia there will be three different types of possible missions or adventures Hondo has sent you on. As always with Hondo he leaves out pertinent details about the mission and your crew will have to wing it if they want to survive and complete the mission. The Solo 4K feature says that you can fail and lose your cargo and credits and the cantina bartender might tell you that there’s a bounty on your head.

Mission Scenario One: Hondo gets you involved in a race on Corellia that he’s sure you can’t lose with the Millennium Falcon.

Mission Scenario Two: Hondo sends you to the First Order Shipyard on Corellia, possibly on a mission for the Resistance.

Mission Scenario Three: Your crew will have to steal some piece of cargo but the cargo is guarded by a giant monster similar to The Maw from Solo: A Star Wars Story and you’ll have evade the creature like the mythic heroes stealing the treasure from the sleeping dragon. Spoiler: The dragon wakes up.

The Ride
We’ve seen photos of inside of the ship and it looks amazing. Ironically, when Star Wars: Episode VII started filming we got wind of The Carousel. The Carousel was the code name for the Falcon on the new productions. This ride isn’t too different in some ways. But basically as people are riding the ride others are being put on the ride by Hondo. It sounds like there’s going to be several of these “pods” with the giant screens inside working at once so there will be several crews riding the ride at one time. It did sound like many rides at Disneyland where wheel chair access will temporarily halt the flow of the ride.

We’ve heard that there are concerns about motion sickness and they’re tuning the hydraulic system (if that’s the correct terminology). A source said the movement is awesome and it makes Star Tours 2 look like the Peter Pan ride. I would imagine any new ride has to deal with not wanting to make the guests sick. I personally cannot imagine it is as intense as anything at Six Flags Magic Mountain (fun fact: Magic Mountain was the code name of Luke Skywalker’s Ahch-To set from The Force Awakens).

Hondo Ohnaka in the Star Wars Universe
Hondo’s arc is pretty interesting. When we meet Hondo in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, he’s at his prime, pirating, ripping off people and even arming an early form of the rebellion on Onderon. Then when we see him in Star Wars Rebels he’s sort of like Beckett in Solo. He’s past his prime and mostly down on his luck and dressing without the luster of a true pirate captain. By the time of the sequel trilogy, Hondo is running Hondo Ohnaka’s Transport Solutions. It sounds like Hondo may have been rewarded for his good deeds during the dark times. However, for all we know the company is just a front and Hondo is still up to his old mischievous ways.

Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is not that far away!
That’s everything we’ve heard we can report on about the Falcon ride at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The park will be open before we know it. I’ve heard that the Falcon ride itself is pretty close to resembling a finished product and someone told me that the Falcon that will be outside is about to be placed, if that hasn’t happened already. I can’t wait and I could not be more excited. Everything we’re hearing that we can’t report (sorry we gotta respect our sources wishes) sounds really cool. Every indication is that the Imagineers have nailed it.

Last edited:

Rich T

Awesome post and a great collection of info. As a classic Disney fan who has lost most interest in Star Wars over the years--and hates that this project is being forced into DL--I'm *still* looking forward to seeing the land and trying the rides. This place is going to have to appeal to everyone, not just SW superfans who know who Hondo is. If nothing else, this is a pretty fascinating experiment.

I'm sure both SWGE rides will be fun, but I prefer just playing the part of "park guest stumbling into a strange situation" than being forced to role-play a particular character with a particular "job" to do as on the Falcon ride.

Bartender: "Aarr, yeh dropped yer cargo. There's a bounty on your head, pal, better look out for boun--"
Max: "BEAT IT, DOOFUS!"

And if the simulator really does make Star Tours feel like Peter Pan, Disney will have a lot of people puking in their expensive little Falcon cockpits... which isn't good for anyone, particularly the other poor souls in the cabin or everyone waiting in line who will then have to wait a lot longer for their turn. And someone please assure me that there will be no upcharge for a guaranteed spot as the pilot.

I'm skeptical that much of this atmosphere will actually work as planned in a real-world park setting, but I'm also open to being very entertained by the unexpected. Fingers crossed that this huge change to DL will all be worth it.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

I'm still curious if there will be multiple paths on the flight itself, as in the current Star Tours. I beg pardon if the recent leak covered this, I skipped it as I'm trying not to have too much spoiled for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom