News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

giphy.gif

TROR

MC has a supposed detailed description of RotR up. Not a lot that isn't known already but still interesting.
It all sounds great except it sounds as if we’re merely observers of the battle and not part of it. That’s just more bad theme park design if it ends up being the case. I want to be part of the space battle! That’s what Star Tours gave me. Why can’t Falcon or Smugglers Run deliver on something so expected?

britain

It all sounds great except it sounds as if we’re merely observers of the battle and not part of it. That’s just more bad theme park design if it ends up being the case. I want to be part of the space battle! That’s what Star Tours gave me. Why can’t Falcon or Smugglers Run deliver on something so expected?

?

From what I gather, you will be a part of the battle just as much as you ever were in Star Tours.

Just like you had a droid pilot that did some firing in the Star Tours battle, your prisoner vehicle driver droid will have a role to play in the battle plot. I think.

TROR

?

From what I gather, you will be a part of the battle just as much as you ever were in Star Tours.

Just like you had a droid pilot that did some firing in the Star Tours battle, your prisoner vehicle driver droid will have a role to play in the battle plot. I think.
It sounds like the guests will mostly watch the space battle outside and will have no part in it. We don’t get to pretend we’re Poe Dameron in the story like we get to pretend we’re Luke in Star Tours.

britain

@TROR, if you are pretending you're Luke in Star Tours, you're doing it wrong.

Now, as a child, I always used to think I was rescuing Princess Leia as my family walked through the octogonal hallways in the Space Mountain queue. I'm all for pretending and projecting a unique story on top of 'generic' attractions.

But just think of how screwed up the canon would be if you, Luke Skywalker, were on Star Tours flight 1401 to Endor!?

britain

You’re not supposed to feel like you’re Luke during the trench run in the original Star Tours?

FEEL like, or pretend to be?

Maybe in RotR you're supposed to FEEL like Luke & Han escaping the Death Star whilst pretending to be Resistance prisoners escaping a Star Destroyer.

Mickeyboof

@TROR, if you are pretending you're Luke in Star Tours, you're doing it wrong.

Now, as a child, I always used to think I was rescuing Princess Leia as my family walked through the octogonal hallways in the Space Mountain queue. I'm all for pretending and projecting a unique story on top of 'generic' attractions.

But just think of how screwed up the canon would be if you, Luke Skywalker, were on Star Tours flight 1401 to Endor!?

Who cares about canon. It’s a theme park.

What about plain old theme park fun.

I’d rather immersive myself in a concept than a strict story. Has anyone been to a murder mystery party where they give you a script you have to follow? It’s awful.

Luke, Leia, you can and should be whoever you wanna be.

TROR

FEEL like, or pretend to be?
Pretend as in I’m put in the role of the character, not that I’m acting as Luke during the ride. Just in the same way you’re Alice on Alice in Wonderland or Snow White on Snow White’s Scary Adventures. The action happens to you just as it does for our hero in the movie. You don’t go to a theme park to watch the hero, you go there to be the hero. It’s an experience, not a movie. I don’t want to watch X Wings shoot down TIEs, I want to be in the X Wing shooting TIEs.

Replace Falcon with X Wing coaster.

britain

Who cares about canon. It’s a theme park.

What about plain old theme park fun.

I’d rather immersive myself in a concept than a strict story. Has anyone been to a murder mystery party where they give you a script you have to follow? It’s awful.

Luke, Leia, you can and should be whoever you wanna be.

I get it, yes, do whatever you'd like. It's a little like whilst on the Indiana Jones ride, I feel like I'm Indy... until we meet up with Indy, at which point I yell, "Help us Indy!"

All part of this crazy bit of theater we call play.

britain

Pretend as in I’m put in the role of the character, not that I’m acting as Luke during the ride. Just in the same way you’re Alice on Alice in Wonderland or Snow White on Snow White’s Scary Adventures. The action happens to you just as it does for our hero in the movie. You don’t go to a theme park to watch the hero, you go there to be the hero. It’s an experience, not a movie. I don’t want to watch X Wings shoot down TIEs, I want to be in the X Wing shooting TIEs.

Replace Falcon with X Wing coaster.

Sorry, I don't understand why shooting down TIEs in the Falcon isn't good, but shooting down TIEs in an X-wing is?

Mickeyboof

I get it, yes, do whatever you'd like. It's a little like whilst on the Indiana Jones ride, I feel like I'm Indy... until we meet up with Indy, at which point I yell, "Help us Indy!"

All part of this crazy bit of theater we call play.

Great. So then we agree. You can be whoever you choose.

I prefer to be myself on these rides. Me, in the temple of doom. Me at Batuu.

Some prefer to be Luke.

Why not! Let’s keep playing. Woohoo!

TROR

Sorry, I don't understand why shooting down TIEs in the Falcon isn't good, but shooting down TIEs in an X-wing is?
I’ve never had a desire to fly the Falcon like I have to fly an X Wing. They’re fast, they’re fun, they’re the hero’s fighter. I don’t remember if you’ve been on the Falcon, but it’s so boring. Compared to Hyperspace Mountain where you’re zooming around in an “X Wing,” it falls completely flat. With a large indoor space full of TIEs and Star Destroyers and guests riding in X Wings, it’s a much better experience.

Pretty sure this is exactly what RotR is going to do.
Except for the alleged part where guests just watch the space battle through a view port instead of take part in it.

I’m still looking forward to Rise of the Resistance and am hopeful for the ride. I need to be or else there’s nothing in Star Wars land for me to enjoy and that makes me sad.

britain

I’ve never had a desire to fly the Falcon like I have to fly an X Wing. They’re fast, they’re fun, they’re the hero’s fighter. I don’t remember if you’ve been on the Falcon, but it’s so boring. Compared to Hyperspace Mountain where you’re zooming around in an “X Wing,” it falls completely flat. With a large indoor space full of TIEs and Star Destroyers and guests riding in X Wings, it’s a much better experience.

Ah - okay, so it's an issue with the experience as currently implemented. I thought you were saying "I gotta shoot at TIEs! RotR isn't giving me the chance to shoot at TIEs! And Falcon doesn't either!" which confused me.

Mickeyboof

Except for the alleged part where guests just watch the space battle through a view port instead of take part in it.

I’m still looking forward to Rise of the Resistance and am hopeful for the ride. I need to be or else there’s nothing in Star Wars land for me to enjoy and that makes me sad.

I am hopeful as well, but I also recognize almost every element I was excited for with GE had been cut, without anyone really knowing.

Therefore, I am not holding my breath for this ride. Seeing what happened to the land as a whole, I think it’s goimg to be a thrilless shell of a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom