News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

fctiger

Lol I meant to say I’m almost dressing like them some days at 36. Right, boredom can do that. In real life I wouldn’t look twice at a senior citizen dressed like that. Then again these aren’t your ordinary seniors.

Anyway I hope I look like Bob Iger at his age.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's unreal how cheap Disney is. This is the most guaranteed home run opening for any park expansion ever. It will be packed for months/years. And Disney is STILL so damn cheap they only spent the bare minimum needed. This is why I MUCH prefer Universal. They add the little things, needed or not. There is always a bus driver outside Diagonal Alley, even if no one is talking to him. Disney would have someone watching over, counting interactions, and as soon as they got below a threshold, he'd be gone

As they've been doing for decades now, Disney doesn't care about wowing guests any more. Simply giving them the minimum needed to make most of them happy, and that's it. If most idiots visiting WDW think 3 rides a day is a good enough deal, that's all they now deliver.

They've altered the deal, pray they don't alter it any further.

Yes, they cheaply spent a billion dollars on a land. So cheap.

Old Mouseketeer

We seem to be going back and forth on the entertainment thing. So many of my contacts in Entertainment have retired or moved on. I do still know a couple of techs and performers from outside theater and one guy in a production support position I met while doing college theater in a galaxy century far far away. In past decades my connections were much deeper..

What I have gleaned over the past decade is that there is actually a fairly strong commitment high up at the resort. I have heard of days when live performers and M&Gs were cut because of rain, wind, or fire and there was great concern at the very top and thatTDA and WDPR still see live entertainment as a critical component of the Disney Parks experience. That's why on a given day at DL you could have over 300 performers and over 700 personnel combined, including shows, bands, parades, and characters (but not including guest groups).

For SW:GE I don't think it's mainly a budget issue--I think it's mainly related to crowding and safety and the unpredictability thereof. Major infrastructure requires at least a five-year lead time with around three years alone for construction. Below the top tier of Entertainment offerings (new parade/fireworks/theatrical) that may be reduced to less than a year, especially when a lot of the preplanning is already done. I don't really know what the scope of their original vision was. There was talk of a live show in the (cancelled/postponed?) table-service restaurant adjoining the Cantina. There were online rumors of articulated (moving head) aliens, although I never picked up anything from my Bothans. There were permits for practical bridges and a prefab spaceship for stunt performers.

As I've said elsewhere I have heard there will be an atmosphere character program roughly the size of Launch Bay when it had the March of the First Order contingent (but no inside M&G). For the time being, original trilogy characters will stay at Launch Bay and current trilogy characters will relocate to GE. I've heard Troopers, Kylo, Rey, and possibly Chewie. Not sure about Phasma. They have advertised auditions for one union role, but I'm not sure what that will be. I have also heard of another atmo character I'm not familiar with and I'm not at liberty to talk about it until later.

If there is a money issue, I think it's mostly that they don't want to invest in something they're not sure will work. They also have to maintain the safety of their performers and guests. However, I do think we will see some good live entertainment over time. I certainly don't know everything and I think there are some sizeable gaps in my info. But that's my best guess.

Edit: Speaking of cheaping out, I'm not sure this has been reported. I recently heard that the reason they closed Jedi Academy at DL (But not WDW) is the cost overruns on World of Color. Supposedly they cut after-hours technician coverage on WoC and an access cover/door was left open which jammed the mechanism when they raised/lowered one of the three grids of fountains/effects. I'm told it was a management screw-up, but that resort management wouldn't allocate additional money to fix it. So Entertainment had to scrape up some money by cancelling some shows. Bye-bye Jedi, Hook and Ladder, one of the NOS combos, and the AGVA in Boot Strappers (the singing, non-instrumental performer). I don't think this impacted Farley the Fiddler--I think he just retired. There may have been a couple of other cuts I don't remember. Anyway, that was a new piece of info for me recently.

Last edited:

CydonPrax

Edit: Speaking of cheaping out, I'm not sure this has been reported. I recently heard that the reason they closed Jedi Academy at DL (But not WDW) is the cost overruns on World of Color. Supposedly they cut after-hours technician coverage on WoC and an access cover/door was left open which jammed the mechanism when they raised/lowered one of the three grids of fountains/effects. I'm told it was a management screw-up, but that resort management wouldn't allocate additional money to fix it. So Entertainment had to scrape up some money by cancelling some shows. Bye-bye Jedi, Hook and Ladder, one of the NOS combos, and the AGVA in Boot Strappers (the singing, non-instrumental performer). I don't think this impacted Farley the Fiddler--I think he just retired. There may have been a couple of other cuts I don't remember. Anyway, that was a new piece of info for me recently.

Think there's any chance the musical acts come back on the next fiscal year's budget?

TP2000

when the first thing you obsess over is what someone is wearing.. it says more about you than them.

Oh, please. The photo is a week old, so it wasn't the "first thing" I obsessed over, and I'd already spent some time earlier in the evening posting those new videos of the revealed entrance areas from our favorite lady blogger, so what else was there to do during my midnight martini? Talk about bench placement?

These are senior citizens wearing dorky white shoes, and that is funny. Remember the 20th century when people would joke? But these three senior citizens are also worth about two Billion dollars between the three of them, so I think they'll be okay and won't need an online anti-bullying campaign to save them.

As for me, as I am older than Mr. Spielberg, I wear dark brown or navy blue Sperry Docksiders with comfort insoles to Ralphs Fresh Fare and Home Depot and Disneyland, because I don't want to look like an aged dork on a field trip from my care facility. I ceased being able to pull off white athletic shoes in public, beyond a tennis court, sometime during the Reagan Administration. 🧐

Lol I meant to say I’m almost dressing like them some days at 36. Right, boredom can do that. In real life I wouldn’t look twice at a senior citizen dressed like that. Then again these aren’t your ordinary seniors.

Anyway I hope I look like Bob Iger at his age. Not so much the other two.

Bog Iger looks FANTASTIC for his age. He clearly has a great Botox/Laser Rejuvenation/Fillers regimen that is working wonders for him, but it also helps that he keeps himself in very good shape; I imagine Willow is a part of that equation.

I was most surprised at Kathleen Kennedy's age when I Googled her for my funny photo; I thought she was in her late 50's trying to pull off 49, but she is actually 65 now, trying to pull off 49. She qualifies for Social Security, but like Bob she's got a great regimen of Botox/Laser Rejuvenation/Fillers plus whoever is doing her hair and her Pilates schedule. Isn't the magic of Hollywood wonderful?!?

Mr. Spielberg is the only one who looks his age. The shoes and the giant cuffs help with that aged image though.

Last edited:

sedati

View attachment 370230
Is that some form of bandstand in the courtyard?
According to this article:
The courtyard is for repairing droids and includes an oil bath with a pair of animatronics.

George Lucas on a Bench

They can be comfortable yet fashionable.

george-lucas-shows-off-baby-everest-on-new-years-vacation-02.jpg

mickEblu

Less than two weeks from opening and the thread has devolved into critique of successful senior citizens with more money than most (or all) of us choosing to wear comfortable shoes in a theme park.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Well I think you solved your own riddle. What’s left to talk about at this point until we go there ourselves?

brb1006

Oh, please. The photo is a week old, so it wasn't the "first thing" I obsessed over, and I'd already spent some time earlier in the evening posting those new videos of the revealed entrance areas from our favorite lady blogger, so what else was there to do during my midnight martini? Talk about bench placement?

These are senior citizens wearing dorky white shoes, and that is funny. Remember the 20th century when people would joke? But these three senior citizens are also worth about two Billion dollars between the three of them, so I think they'll be okay and won't need an online anti-bullying campaign to save them.

As for me, as I am older than Mr. Spielberg, I wear dark brown or navy blue Sperry Docksiders with comfort insoles to Ralphs Fresh Fare and Home Depot and Disneyland, because I don't want to look like an aged dork on a field trip from my care facility. I ceased being able to pull off white athletic shoes in public, beyond a tennis court, sometime during the Reagan Administration. 🧐

Bog Iger looks FANTASTIC for his age. He clearly has a great Botox/Laser Rejuvenation/Fillers regimen that is working wonders for him, but it also helps that he keeps himself in very good shape; I imagine Willow is a part of that equation.

I was most surprised at Kathleen Kennedy's age when I Googled her for my funny photo; I thought she was in her late 50's trying to pull off 49, but she is actually 65 now, trying to pull off 49. She qualifies for Social Security, but like Bob she's got a great regimen of Botox/Laser Rejuvenation/Fillers plus whoever is doing her hair and her Pilates schedule. Isn't the magic of Hollywood wonderful?!?

Mr. Spielberg is the only one who looks his age. The shoes and the giant cuffs help with that aged image though.
enhanced-buzz-9253-1377888177-21.jpg

lifeisgoodboy

According to this article:
The courtyard is for repairing droids and includes an oil bath with a pair of animatronics.

Frontierland has tracks of covered wagon. So I think they are trying to put track on the ground to make it look real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom