News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True but I believe it because it jives with everything he’s done thus far.
Counterargument to that though, is the land or the experience going to suffer because of it? Personal opinion, I don't think so. Would it have been nice to have droids wandering around or a large streetmosphere with entertainers, absolutely. But logistically it may not have been possible in the way WDI was envisioning it with over 10k guests in the land. So "going cheap" may not have been the reason for the cuts.

Anyways, we'll see what happens especially now that we know that some of it is actually coming back. Again history will judge it.

mickEblu

Counterargument to that though, is the land or the experience going to suffer because of it? Personal opinion, I don't think so. Would it have been nice to have droids wandering around or a large streetmosphere with entertainers, absolutely. But logistically it may not have been possible in the way WDI was envisioning it with over 10k guests in the land. So "going cheap" may not have been the reason for the cuts.

Anyways, we'll see what happens especially now that we know that some of it is actually coming back. Again history will judge it.

So the restaurant wasn’t possible either? It will suffer in varying degrees. The restaurant would help guest experience tremendously by providing more capacity and entertainment to Ogas. Of course there is enough to do in SW that people will be entertained but I just don’t like the guy, what he stands for and how he treats the parks.

fctiger

This is what I find silly. Disney pays 4 billion for an existing story, so they can tell a new story. Then they base all their merchandise for the property off their new story. Why not just skip the buyout in the first place? Seems like a waste of 4 billion to me if you have no interest in using the most popular characters in the series.

It would be like Disney buying Marvel and making all of their films based off of new super heroes they created instead of the old ones. When people think of Star Wars they think of Chewie, C3P0, Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, and R2D2. These characters that Disney created have only been around 4 years and were not even in any films by the time when the land started planning. Hondo who is a character made for a children's cartoon (I had to look it up) is the big AA for the ride? I guarantee you no one in the crowd over the age of 10 knows who he is.

Only nerds are into the "Universe of Star Wars". I grew up loving Star Wars and had seen all the tapes multiple times and had a ton of the video games but never did I care about the "extended universe" which is what this area is. A movie's universe is a setting but the characters and their interactions are what make a movie interesting. A setting that is "based off the universe of Star Wars" doesn't hold much appeal to me. I am going for some of the merchandise and the rides.

Maybe I'm missing something but all those characters have been used in literally all the new films. Every single one. They created Rogue One just to give Darth Vader a cameo in it. He can't be in the new movies because Lucas killed him off 30 years ago, so what can you do? They also gave old fans a Han Solo prequel that came out just literally a year ago. Yoda showed up in TLJ. The Emperor and Lando are both coming back in Episode 9. And its rumored to be even more.

To me, this is basically a case of damn if you do and damn if you don't. Before Solo bombed, Disney had a rumored line up of standalone films starring everyone from Obi Wan Kenobi to Boboa Fett. But a lot of fans felt Disney was only coasting on the OT characters and not doing more original stories since many thought a Solo prequel was not needed and voted with their wallets. So they scrapped all those other movies and now they are shifting to more original stories with new characters in the future.

But they still brought back all the original characters in the ST, but the actors are in their 60s and 70s now, so its only a matter of time before they simply can't be used anymore. And several of them already passed away, Carrie Fisher in 2016 and Peter Mayhew just recently. And Fisher died before Episode 9 was even written and they still found a way to put Leia in that story too.

Eventually they would have to tell new stories because the actors playing the original characters will not be able to play them 10-20 years from now. And the bad Solo box office told them they can't just make prequel films of these characters for the next 20 years to please fans either. So you create new characters to carry on the legacy while still acknowledging the old ones. No offense, but your argument just doesn't make a lot of sense, especially since Disney has bent over backwards to bring in the old characters in the new stories.

The new land will have some of these characters too but they are also thinking about new fans today. I don't see an issue with that.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So the restaurant wasn’t possible either? It will suffer in varying degrees. The restaurant would help guest experience tremendously by providing more capacity and entertainment to Ogas. Of course there is enough to do in SW that people will be entertained but I just don’t like the guy, what he stands for and how he treats the parks.
We don't know all the answers here. He could be the worst guy to hit the parks in the history of the world. Or it could be that we're getting information from a bad game of telephone and everything is just being accused on him being "cheap". There could be lots of legitimate reasons why the restaurant was cut, including WDI going way over budget (which has been known to happen more than once). But instead of blaming the real reason Chapek becomes the lighting rod because he's the head of the parks.

In my personal opinion there have been far worse people in charge of the parks in its long history than Chapek. Am I pleased with all he's done, no of course not. But I also know that I have no control over anything they do, I only have control over my feelings. And I choose to look at the positive experiences I still have at the parks, the most recent being 2 weekend ago on a solo trip.

SSG

This doesn't prove that stunt performers will or won't be in GE, but this permit was from last summer:

BLD2018-02794Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - Bldg 10070 - New per-fabricated ship has one stunt performer only. Anchored to existing pad. Foundation under permit BLD2017-02850

So at one time there was at least a plan to have stunt people there.

Mac Tonight

There are three words to describe the pilot role: High Skill Cap
Gunner: I didn't get a chance to do it but it's more of the press the lit buttons to win.
Engineer: the "hardest" it gets is when the pilots straight up kamikazes into an obstacle or the gunners don't shoot down a tie in time so they shoot back and like 6 buttons and switches ALL LIGHT UP AT THE SAME TIME IN MIDDLE OF A BATTLE and it's quite satisfying to get them as fast as you can.
Overall: Pilot is by far the most difficult role so definitely trade with someone in your group when you're in the chess room if you don't want the pressure of everyone yell at you–effectively backseat drive the whole time haha.

P.S. Gunner and Engineer are non-difficult and you can't put a number on pilot. The handling is what you would call not great so you would either have to be a natural at looking far ahead and steering accordingly or memorize the map.
Thanks for the info!

mickEblu

We don't know all the answers here. He could be the worst guy to hit the parks in the history of the world. Or it could be that we're getting information from a bad game of telephone and everything is just being accused on him being "cheap". There could be lots of legitimate reasons why the restaurant was cut, including WDI going way over budget (which has been known to happen more than once). But instead of blaming the real reason Chapek becomes the lighting rod because he's the head of the parks.

In my personal opinion there have been far worse people in charge of the parks in its long history than Chapek. Am I pleased with all he's done, no of course not. But I also know that I have no control over anything they do, I only have control over my feelings. And I choose to look at the positive experiences I still have at the parks, the most recent being 2 weekend ago on a solo trip.

Well yea Chapek has never once crossed my mind when I’m at the parks. That would be a waste of money. But when I’m bored sitting on the couch he’s fair game.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well yea Chapek has never once crossed my mind when I’m at the parks. That would be a waste of money. But when I’m bored sitting on the couch he’s fair game.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. You choose to blame Chapek for what you perceive as downgrades to your overall perception of what makes the parks special to you. For me its the memories I make in the parks, the overall experiences I have, that are special to me. Not one thing Chapek (or anyone for that matter) does or can do will affect that.

That doesn't mean I can't or won't discuss things, obviously I can and do. Its just a different way of looking at things. And in my opinion is a more freeing way to experience Disney and the parks.

mickEblu

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. You choose to blame Chapek for what you perceive as downgrades to your overall perception of what makes the parks special to you. For me its the memories I make in the parks, the overall experiences I have, that are special to me. Not one thing Chapek (or anyone for that matter) does or can do will affect that.

That doesn't mean I can't or won't discuss things, obviously I can and do. Its just a different way of looking at things. And in my opinion is a more freeing way to experience Disney and the parks.

I guess I’m not understanding how they are mutually exclusive? Why can’t I still enjoy the parks and have special memories (old and new) but blame Chapek for what he’s doing now?

TROR

The memories created by Chapek aren't positive ones, thus he's to blame.

Mac Tonight

As the former Chairman himself (jokingly), I can say that when I visit the parks, I only indulge in attractions that pre-date Chapek.
In his offerings, I find an overwhelming lack of imagination and corporate/greed-based synergistic opportunities that frankly just don't thrill me. They might be cool to look at (like Carsland) but... when I get nostalgic for Disneyland, my mind immediately goes to the atmospheric sounds from Haunted Mansion, or the smells and sensory experience of going through the town in Pirates.

I don't want to look at screens.

darthwoody

This is what I find silly. Disney pays 4 billion for an existing story, so they can tell a new story. Then they base all their merchandise for the property off their new story. Why not just skip the buyout in the first place? Seems like a waste of 4 billion to me if you have no interest in using the most popular characters in the series.

It would be like Disney buying Marvel and making all of their films based off of new super heroes they created instead of the old ones. When people think of Star Wars they think of Chewie, C3P0, Darth Vader, Luke, Leia, and R2D2. These characters that Disney created have only been around 4 years and were not even in any films by the time when the land started planning. Hondo who is a character made for a children's cartoon (I had to look it up) is the big AA for the ride? I guarantee you no one in the crowd over the age of 10 knows who he is.

Only nerds are into the "Universe of Star Wars". I grew up loving Star Wars and had seen all the tapes multiple times and had a ton of the video games but never did I care about the "extended universe" which is what this area is. A movie's universe is a setting but the characters and their interactions are what make a movie interesting. A setting that is "based off the universe of Star Wars" doesn't hold much appeal to me. I am going for some of the merchandise and the rides.
Then why is a film based solely on OT characters the only flop of the new Star Wars films???

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess I’m not understanding how their mutually exclusive? Why can’t I still enjoy the parks and have special memories (old and new) but blame Chapek for what he’s doing now?
No one is saying you can't, especially not me. I just have a different way to look at things which works for me.

The memories created by Chapek aren't positive ones, thus he's to blame.
Sorry Pressler was far worse by a factor of at least 100. But you weren't born yet to experience most of his affects on the parks. Which proves my point, Chapek maybe here today but won't always be. So as the saying goes, this too shall pass, as such I choose not to let it affect my park memories.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Parks investment is higher than it has been in decades.

Nearly every park in Disney's portfolio has a large scale project(s) under construction.

I don't think Chapek is as bad as everyone wants him to be.

Stranger things have happened, the Toy Story restaurant has already been placed back into the pipeline, so perhaps we'll see it quickly follow in Galaxy's Edge as well.

Mac Tonight

Nearly every park in Disney's portfolio has a large scale project(s) under construction.

Stranger things have happened, the Toy Story restaurant has already been placed back into the pipeline, so perhaps we'll see it quickly follow in Galaxy's Edge as well.
Quality over Quantity my friend. That's the key.

TROR

Spending a lot of money to make new stuff isn't going to make me happy when the new stuff is Mission Breakout and other junk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom