News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Rich T

Just saw a quick piece on N. CA local news about Star Wars coming to Disneyland, and how folks will need a reservation to visit it during the first few weeks. It's so cute the way the GP is reacting to this like... well, like normal, non-fans would: "A Star Wars land at Disneyland?!? (sees Falcon in drone fly-by shot) That looks really cool!!!"

After all my griping and cynicism about GE and all my disinterest in post-1985 SW, I couldn't help but feel the same moment of childlike glee when I saw that brief news clip. Disneyland is opening a Star Wars land...and it looks really cool. :D

Rich T

well that looks weird, Is Disney afraid that someone will damage the ship? That thing is huge why not just add some cargo boxes near the ramp to make sure no one steps up on it.
If they don't keep guests away from the base of the Falcon, no one will ever, ever be able to get a photo of it without the ship being surrounded by a horde of decidedly non-themed humans armed with phones and popcorn buckets. I'm picturing multiple vloggers each raising their voices further and further to be heard over the competition. :D

britain

Being so scuffed up, it would be an easy target for a graffiti tagging and signatures. “Hehe, no one will notice!” sez 10 million people a year.

It’s also supposed be low enough under there to require Han to hunch a little bit. They don’t want people bonking their heads at the lowest point.

socalifornian

I assume you have a plan for creating fake ids for your guests whose names don't match those on the reservation?
CCDB21A9-FB26-4FCF-B510-CC736E14F360.jpeg

ProfessorPepper

I really wonder how long into opening day it will take for people to throw their gum on top of that falcon from this balcony? and under the chess board? and under the cockpit console, and in a chair on the ride
I just noticed this on one of the DHS preview/interview videos where you can see a smudge on the bottom left of the window on the right. Switch to x0.25 speed before you play this video and follow the area between the arrows in the picture. It's good news right?!
1556934370151.png

Old Mouseketeer

My Bothan spies have reported in with breaking news--they have ridden Smuggler's Run!

CMs were allowed to ride today. The person I talked to rode this afternoon and they waited about 25 minutes. Here's what they shared:
  • Outside they were only able to see the area right around the Falcon, but it looked fantastic. Great detail, distressing, and theming. They said seeing the Falcon actual size was amazing.
  • The queue was highly themed, similar to Pandora. But it seemed like the farther they got into the attraction, the more sparse it was (especially after Hondo)--they guessed there might be more signage to come. There was back story, but they expected a bit more. The crew of CMs working the attraction were very motivated, but seemed to still be settling in (understandibly).
  • They only used the FastPass line, but could see into the elaborate extended queue for Standby. There was a Single Rider Line, too.
  • The layout sounds much like we have talked about upthread and actually walking through the Falcon was awesome.
  • Hondo looks really good, but it's very noisy in the room.
  • Boarding the Falcon was really cool and the "chess room" is pretty big. They thought there were at least four groups looking around before their color boarding card was called.
  • The path to the "second" cockpit was handled well and seemed plausible.
  • They had positive, but slightly mixed feelings about the ride. They said it's like a six-player team video game. It sounded like there was less motion than Star Tours, but that's subjective.
  • They felt like it was fun to participate from your station, but a bit confusing for a first-time rider and especially for someone not very experienced on higher-end game consoles. But the software keeps the story moving, even when you smash into things (or don't participate very well). Their initial thought was that there was a good balance between participating and the story moving forward. But they didn't have the opportunity to test the limits, like flying off course.
  • There was a choice between auto and manual on the gunner's station.
  • They enjoyed it and look forward to riding again.
This is what I gleaned from one conversation. They said what they saw was incredible. They enjoyed the ride, but want to experience more missions and try other stations. They thought people were going to really enjoy it and that the land has a big wow factor.

EDIT: I think I may have underplayed their reaction to SW:GE and Smuggler's Run. They thought it was incredible. I was speaking with a more critical voice. They couldn't wait to ride it again and thought guests would feel the same way. I'm sorry if I didn't convey the sense of wonder they felt entering this world, seeing the full-size Falcon, and then sitting at the controls. I really am counting the hours until I get to experience this world. I'm sorry if I let my critical Disney Geek get in the way.

I can't wait!

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

My Bothan spies have reported in with breaking news--they have ridden Smuggler's Run!

CMs were allowed to ride today. The person I talked to rode this afternoon and they waited about 25 minutes. Here's what they shared:
  • Outside they were only able to see the area right around the Falcon, but it looked fantastic. Great detail, distressing, and theming. They said seeing the Falcon actual size was amazing.
  • The queue was highly themed, similar to Pandora. But it seemed like the farther they got into the attraction, the more sparse it was (especially after Hondo)--they guessed there might be more signage to come. There was back story, but they expected a bit more. The crew of CMs working the attraction were very motivated, but seemed to still be settling in (understandibly).
  • They only used the FastPass line, but could see into the elaborate extended queue for Standby. There was a Single Rider Line, too.
  • The layout sounds much like we have talked about upthread and actually walking through the Falcon was awesome.
  • Hondo looks really good, but it's very noisy in the room.
  • Boarding the Falcon was really cool and the "chess room" is pretty big. They thought there were at least four groups looking around before their color boarding card was called.
  • The path to the "second" cockpit was handled well and seemed plausible.
  • They had positive, but slightly mixed feelings about the ride. They said it's like a six-player team video game. It sounded like there was less motion than Star Tours, but that's subjective.
  • They felt like it was fun to participate from your station, but a bit confusing for a first-time rider and especially for someone not very experienced on higher-end game consoles. But the software keeps the story moving, even when you smash into things (or don't participate very well). Their initial thought was that there was a good balance between participating and the story moving forward. But they didn't have the opportunity to test the limits, like flying off course.
  • There was a choice between auto and manual on the gunner's station.
  • They enjoyed it and look forward to riding again.
This is what I gleaned from one conversation. They said what they saw was incredible. They enjoyed the ride, but want to experience more missions and try other stations. They thought people were going to really enjoy it and that the land has a big wow factor.

I can't wait!
It seems very confusing story wise. why would Hondo need multiple flight crews for a ship with one cockpit and you would think Disney to help maintain the illusion would only allow the 6 crew members who will be in your cockpit to be the only ones to roam the chessboard waiting area to help maintain the illusion you are the only ones about to fly the falcon. if you are in the same room with like 3 other groups that does not make sense story wise. I get ride capacity wise why they do it but they are trying to immerse you into thinking you are the only crew flying the falcon and the falcon only has one cockpit. maybe they just did it that way for the castmember preview but for general admission it would be confussing story wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom