News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Stevek

Just how many bloggers do you think there are?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Really? lol I've never been there, just grabbed that from Google Street View. My bad! Doesn't negate my point though.

Except it's the view when looking down a side street... and really isn't representative of the experience. But yeah, go with the streetview as your guide in how things really are...

Old Mouseketeer

With respect to the delayed opening of RotR, I think Occam's Lightsaber applies--the simplest answer is often the correct one. My guess is that they are behind schedule on RotR. I don't think they would deliberately delay opening such a long-awaited popular attraction. The reservations system suggests to me that they are worried about staggering entry into the land with only one attraction eating up the crowd. Museums do this all the time with special touring exhibitions (and even the general collection when the Broad museum opened next to Disney Hall). Remember, we have speculated about numbers from 20k-40k per day for RotR. That's a lot of extra bodies to cram in.

Under the circumstances, the reservations system sounds like a smart idea. Disney takes safety and crowd control very seriously. Until they know how the crowd flow is going to work, this is the safer course. They can always admit more people--but it's infinitely harder to get people out! Only having the Falcon attraction open just makes it worse.

This is nothing new--Adventure Through Inner Space opened months after the New Tomorrowland in 1967. Pirates opened after NOS. Entire Disney parks have opened with attractions running behind schedule. It will be interesting to hear more details as they leak out!

Biff215

Feeling pretty disgruntled myself! We planned our first-and-only family visit to Disneyland (flying across 3 time zones to get there) for late August, largely because we thought we could squeeze in a trip just before the kids have to go back to school, but after the SW land excitement and crowds had a little time to die down. Now we're looking at the prospect of either a half-finished land (I know there will be places to shop and drink blue milk, but for my kids, half the attractions = half the land!), or a just-opened-second-attraction that will trigger big crowds all over again. Our airfare is booked and non-refundable so there's no way to adjust now: we'll just have to make the best of it and adjust our expectations. Since we've never been to DL/CA, there will still be quite a few other things that are new to us.
We're with you. We booked DVC for early August thinking we would definitely get to see everything after the initial crowds started to die down a little. We haven't purchased airfare yet, so I'm a little hesitant until we hear more about a RotR opening date. I would really hate to give up the Grand Californian reservation, but this is a once in a lifetime trip to DL. Definitely makes it tough.

TP2000

This is nothing new--Adventure Through Inner Space opened months after the New Tomorrowland in 1967. Pirates opened after NOS. Entire Disney parks have opened with attractions running behind schedule. It will be interesting to hear more details as they leak out!

Great point. All of the New Tomorrowland attractions had different opening dates through that first summer, and Inner Space was the second to last one to open in August. Circle Vision - June 25th. Carousel of Progress & PeopleMover - July 2nd. Rocket Jets - July 3rd. Adventure Thru Inner Space - August 5th. Flight To The Moon - August 12th.

You could also add in the months of delays for Splash Mountain in '89, which was supposed to open in spring, but was delayed over and over again until mid July.

And who the heck opens a new ride at the end of summer instead of the start of summer? Haunted Mansion, August 9th, Big Thunder Mountain, September 3rd. But stuff happens, and you can't always open your big new ride in May like you'd originally planned.

That said, that was all before the Internet. This Star Wars Land debut is going to be a mess for the CM's trying to manage this phased opening approach. Something must be really wrong with the Resistance ride. :oops:

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Feeling pretty disgruntled myself! We planned our first-and-only family visit to Disneyland (flying across 3 time zones to get there) for late August, largely because we thought we could squeeze in a trip just before the kids have to go back to school, but after the SW land excitement and crowds had a little time to die down. Now we're looking at the prospect of either a half-finished land (I know there will be places to shop and drink blue milk, but for my kids, half the attractions = half the land!), or a just-opened-second-attraction that will trigger big crowds all over again. Our airfare is booked and non-refundable so there's no way to adjust now: we'll just have to make the best of it and adjust our expectations. Since we've never been to DL/CA, there will still be quite a few other things that are new to us.

It hopefully works out...but at the end of the day it’s taken another 4 years to build a lot of scenery and not a lot of “punch”....two low thrill simulators. And theming around a less than stellar new series of movies.
The good news is: that’s not the highlight of Disneyland...
Either way, you will really have a terrific time. So many great things to do!

I agree here...in fact I’ll be there around your time. Disneyland is crowded...but I find it more appealing than WDW these days.
Thanks, I know you're right! Just having a little pity party for myself because DH and I are huge Star Wars nerds and were really excited about both attractions. If both aren't open at DL when we visit, we'll have to wait at least 3 years to get a look, as we weren't considering another trip to any Disney park (after this one) until 2022... Hopefully @Disney Irish Bruh's prediction (6/24 opening) will be spot-on. That means that by the time we get there, Rise of the Rebellion will not only be open, but will have been so for 2 months - enough time for the crowds to be less nuts.
You’re right to be a tad let down/disappointed. But hopefully it will work out and everything will be open and manageable.
Just how many bloggers do you think there are?

Tons...and they masquerade as “insiders” when they’re bored 😉

JD2000

I am on board with thinking a staggered opening is going to cause insane crowds twice. What are you thinking Disney?

They should have at least explained how the reservations are going to work and give us an opening date for RofR with this announcement. Not create more questions and uncertainty.

britain

How can they be behind schedule on an attraction when it's original announced opening of "Summer" and "Late Fall" (which became "Fall") hasn't passed yet, nor have a date been announced of an opening beyond the announced time frame?

We all heard that DL was looking to be ready by late June / early July. I think it was simply RotR that was taking that long, AND that's taking into account continuous testing and tinkering on this high-tech, sophisticated attraction. I suspect Operations realized that the split opening would be a very good thing, as it dilutes the crowds intending to be there its opening month, and it provides a pool of regular people wandering through Galaxy's Edge with which WDI can test & adjust things on RotR. (It's hard to do a spur of the moment technical rehearsal/soft opening when the whole land is still off-limits to guests).

Seeing the benefits here, Operations at WDW may be implementing the split opening by choice rather than by necessity.

Darkbeer1

>Disney is expected to offer a series of special events for passholders and others willing to fork up cash for an early look at the lands, before the thundering hordes of regular fans arrive, although none have yet been announced.

Disneyland annual passholders who hold the lowest-priced levels of passes will find themselves blocked out of Disneyland all summer, though they will be able to visit Disney California Adventure, its sister theme park, across the esplanade on certain dates. For example, those with the Southern California Select Annual Pass won’t be able to visit the new Star Wars land at Disneyland until Tuesday, Sept. 3, according to the official blockout date calendars, though they may be able to buy special advance look tickets, if Disney sells them.

No information was available about widespread rumors that Disneyland will sell access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge through its MaxPass function on its mobile app. In the past, Disney has denied this.<<

Darkbeer1

Here’s the first day that passholders can go to Disneyland, based on the blockout dates posted on Disneyland.com:

• Southern California Select Annual Passport: Tuesday, Sept. 3 (blocked out from May 31-Sept. 2)
  • Southern California Annual Passport (not currently for sale): Friday, May 31 (if you score an advance reservation, blocked out after that until Aug. 26)
  • Deluxe Annual Passport: Friday, May 31 (if you score an advance reservation, until June 20. Then blocked out until Aug. 19)
  • Signature Annual Passport: Friday, May 31 (if you score an advance reservation. No blockout dates until Dec. 21)
  • Signature Plus Annual Passport: Friday, May 31 (if you score an advance reservation. No blockout dates, period)

Prices for individual tickets and annual passes went up Jan. 6, in what has become an annual boost. Here are the current pass prices as of March 7:

• Southern California Select: $399
  • Deluxe: $799
  • Signature: $1,149
  • Signature Plus: $1,399
  • Southern California Annual: (Not currently for sale)<<

TP2000

They should have at least explained how the reservations are going to work and give us an opening date for RofR with this announcement. Not create more questions and uncertainty.

Which proves to me that something is really wrong with the Resistance ride and they are flying by the seat of their pants on this one. This is going to get ugly before it gets better. :eek:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disneyland annual passholders who hold the lowest-priced levels of passes will find themselves blocked out of Disneyland all summer, though they will be able to visit Disney California Adventure, its sister theme park, across the esplanade on certain dates. For example, those with the Southern California Select Annual Pass won’t be able to visit the new Star Wars land at Disneyland until Tuesday, Sept. 3, according to the official blockout date calendars, though they may be able to buy special advance look tickets, if Disney sells them.

No information was available about widespread rumors that Disneyland will sell access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge through its MaxPass function on its mobile app. In the past, Disney has denied this.<<

"Disney is expected..."

That's some top notch journalism right there!

;)

mlayton144

We all heard that DL was looking to be ready by late June / early July. I think it was simply RotR that was taking that long, AND that's taking into account continuous testing and tinkering on this high-tech, sophisticated attraction. I suspect Operations realized that the split opening would be a very good thing, as it dilutes the crowds intending to be there its opening month, and it provides a pool of regular people wandering through Galaxy's Edge with which WDI can test & adjust things on RotR. (It's hard to do a spur of the moment technical rehearsal when the whole land is still off-limits to guests).

Seeing the benefits here, Operations at WDW may be implementing the split opening by choice rather than by necessity.

One thing I don’t get with your past , opening 1 attraction vs 2 will not result in ANY reduction in crowds , it will be packed from Day 1 through August of 2021 , unless you think they will artificially keep the capacity low until RotR? Then they will pack it in even tighter ???

shortstop

I can't get on board with the hysteria here. Are we really thinking they aren't going to further explain the reservation system? That they are going to randomly open RotR one day with no prior announcement? That limiting the number of people who can enter the land in advance for a few weeks will be bad for crowd control and guest relations? That people will be angry when they go to SWL on June 10th and can "only" ride Falcon and tour the entire land when previously we thought the land wouldn't be open at all until later in June?

shortstop

One thing I don’t get with your past , opening 1 attraction vs 2 will not result in ANY reduction in crowds , it will be packed from Day 1 through August of 2021 , unless you think they will artificially keep the capacity low until RotR? Then they will pack it in even tighter ???
Many posters on this board (myself included) have indicated a lack of interest in visiting on opening day or in the first few weeks due to RotR not being open. I have to think spreading the openings will help control demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom