News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Curious Constance

Except... Disney has never done that before.

Disneyland has twice had a paid night-before openings. And WDW has never done that: not for Pandora, not for TSL. For Pandora, WDW had early openings for CMs, APers, and DVCers. For TSL, they were under too much of a time crunch and offered exclusive access to APers and DVCers a few month later.

Now, what WDW does do is early morning and late night hard-ticket events -- and a lot of them. Based on past experience I expect WDW to:
  • have daily morning EMH for several months
  • give APers and DVCers limited early access time, or several exclusive night times
  • have near nightly DHS After Hours for several months
I think based on DL’s track record of offering paid events before the opening of all their new things (GOTG MB!, Pixar Pier) both of which weren’t even technically new, they’ve got to be planning more than one for the actual new, highly anticipated offerings in Star Wars Land. Maybe WDW’s SWL won’t, but it’s really too small to host much of an event anyway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think based on DL’s track record of offering paid events before the opening of all their new things (GOTG MB!, Pixar Pier) both of which weren’t even technically new, they’ve got to be planning more than one for the actual new, highly anticipated offerings in Star Wars Land. Maybe WDW’s SWL won’t, but it’s really too small to host much of an event anyway.

That's not how "track records" work.

A track record predicts they'd do the same, not do a lot more.

SWGalaxysEdge

Falcon queue line? Any thought on how the queue for the Falcon might work? @bioreconstruct seems to think this wall being built might have something to do with it. (see image - top left (this is FL picture but same difference)
18.jpg
)

BrianLo

Original Poster
That's not how "track records" work.

A track record predicts they'd do the same, not do a lot more.

I agree with @Curious Constance though... I think if any addition is going to break the mould and overdo it with paid access, it will be this. MB and Pixar Pier were sort of soft tests to see what the market was interested in (if anything).

Very curious to watch as this should be a pretty precedent setting opening.

Heck if I was local THIS would be the one I’d pay for. Mostly because I know the paid events will likely be pleasant. As you mention though it can simply be paid access for extended hours. WDW I suspect will continue to have extended hours for on site guests much like Pandora.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I agree with @Curious Constance though... I think if any addition is going to break the mould and overdo it with paid access, it will be this. MB and Pixar Pier were sort of soft tests to see what the market was interested in (if anything).

Very curious to watch as this should be a pretty precedent setting opening.

Heck if I was local THIS would be the one I’d pay for. Mostly because I know the paid events will likely be pleasant. As you mention though it can simply be paid access for extended hours. WDW I suspect will continue to have extended hours for on site guests much like Pandora.

You agree based on what?

Thanks to Iger's loose lips, we know for sure now that it's opening in June. With a firm opening date, if they were to ever sell early access, then they'd have to finish everything early. And if not? What happens the plan to sell early access?

Curious Constance

You agree based on what?

Thanks to Iger's loose lips, we know for sure now that it's opening in June. With a firm opening date, if they were to ever sell early access, then they'd have to finish everything early. And if not? What happens the plan to sell early access?
Their track record also shows they have no problems opening things that aren’t finished. Did I see that the chicken box at Pixar Pier still has no sign?

BrianLo

Original Poster
You agree based on what?

I assume he was referring to the grand opening date. There are always soft openings and recently they’ve monetized a few for Disneyland.

It would be precedent setting for there not to be early access. Even the notoriously barely ready Shanghai Disneyland had a month of soft access.

Are you saying there will be no softs? I thought we were debating whether soft openings will be monetized at all. Not whether they will exist...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I assume he was referring to the grand opening date. There are always soft openings and recently they’ve monetized a few for Disneyland.

It would be precedent setting for there not to be early access. Even the notoriously barely ready Shanghai Disneyland had a month of soft access.

Are you saying there will be no softs? I thought we were debating whether soft openings will be monetized at all. Not whether they will exist...

There were no softs for Toy Story Land. As mentioned above. You can't monetize things that don't exist.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That’s also a different resort though. There is no way Disneyland is going to let this thing open without some type of upcharge event.

Because... they did it twice? For a night-before-opening party?

I'm not saying they won't have lengthy pay-for previews... but people who are sure they will have nothing to base that on.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s also a different resort though. There is no way Disneyland is going to let this thing open without some type of upcharge event.

While I agree that it would make sense to have an upcharge event in order to curb crowding, there is no guarantee it'll actually happen.

I agree with @MisterPenguin there is no precedence at Disneyland for an upcharge event for a new land. And if the couple times they've done it shows anything, its that there is only a certain market that really buys the tickets, Vloggers....

BrianLo

Original Poster
There were no softs for Toy Story Land. As mentioned above. You can't monetize things that don't exist.

Fair, almost precedent setting.

I am nearly certain there will be softs (there is no indication the rides won't be ready well in advance), it's more a guess on the increase in monetization from the last two Disneyland resort offerings.

If there are no softs, they are completely and truly idiots. This is not the type of thing you should open blindly to the public.

It's just that I am having a hard time with your logic that this won't be ready until the grand opening, that seems like very poor planning. Monetization aside.

To throw things back at you, Toy Story Land (in WDW) is hardly a company-wide track record.

Last edited:

RescueTheDay

Not saying they’ve set a precedent, but DL’s management team loves any opportunity to grab some extra cash.

The past two events they charged very different amounts which feels like they were testing the waters. Offering a whole new land would probably be a large draw and be able to charge what they were asking for when they did the Pixar Pier event.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Not saying they’ve set a precedent, but DL’s management team loves any opportunity to grab some extra cash.

The past two events they charged very different amounts which feels like they were testing the waters. Offering a whole new land would probably be a large draw and be able to charge what they were asking for when they did the Pixar Pier event.

So, then, there'd be a one-night cash grab at the perfect price point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom