News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Is this a part of the Falcon Simulator?
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 12.07.50 PM.png

mickEblu

For me what is being added along the river is much more than what was taken away.

If it comes out like the concept art I might agree. So far the scale looks significantly smaller. I know the northern section of the ROA wasn't the most exciting but something should be said for that feeling of being in the vast wilderness that existed before. It kind of felt like there was always a piece of Disneyland that you couldn't explore that made it feel bigger and more mysterious. It's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

TP2000

special thanks to fox news and that cameraman

Sure. But the real thanks go to the construction guy who busted his knee!

Hey, construction guy, sorry you busted your knee and couldn't get down the ladder today. I hope you enjoy the painkillers and the week or two of Workers Comp, and I hope you'll be back to your career soon. But a big THANK YOU for doing that for us so that the news choppers could get some really good and really revealing aerial shots of Star Wars construction. This Bud's for you, construction guy with busted knee! :D

TP2000

Is this a part of the Falcon Simulator?View attachment 197966

Well, I think we know how this Falcon ride is going to work now. It's an updated version of Mission: Space, apparently.

OMG! It must be!!!! Two side by side!!! Unless these are going to be two industrial grade salad bars!!!!

A revolving salad bar, Constance. Thus the circular shape. :rolleyes:

But that feature appears to be in the Battle Escape/Alcatraz ride next door. Or maybe it's just a really big Souplantation.

180º

Well, I think we know how this Falcon ride is going to work now. It's an updated version of Mission: Space, apparently.
I sense this is tongue-in-cheek, but just so everyone else knows, our insiders have explained that the rotation in this ride will be indiscernible, and just for the sake of capacity rather than effect or sensation. I'm expecting something like Forbidden Journey's projection dome segments. I wouldn't mind pulling Gs in the Millennium Falcon, though! :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If it comes out like the concept art I might agree. So far the scale looks significantly smaller. I know the north of the ROA wasn't the most exciting but something should be said for that feeling of being in the vast wilderness that existed before. It kind of felt like there was always a piece of Disneyland that you couldn't explore that made it feel bigger and more mysterious. It's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on a spreadsheet.

I get what you are saying. But I have a feeling that what is being added will make it feel more like it was always meant to be there. Like it was the missing piece of the unfinished puzzle.

mickEblu

If it comes out like the concept art I might agree. So far the scale looks significantly smaller. I know the north of the ROA wasn't the most exciting but something should be said for that feeling of being in the vast wilderness that existed before. It kind of felt like there was always a piece of Disneyland that you couldn't explore that made it feel bigger and more mysterious. It's the kind of thing that doesn't show up on a spreadsheet.
I get what you are saying. But I have a feeling that what is being added will make it feel more like it was always meant to be there. Like it was the missing piece of the unfinished puzzle.

I hope you re right.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Is it just me or does the river look it will be shortened considerably when looking at the pic. Was it really only shortened 15-20%?

Here, this might help you visualize better. I've also long been ball parking it to 13.5% and stick to that. When google maps updates someone can give us a repeat official measurement.

33674492452_a39742a3ce_o.png

The red the old river approximately, the yellow is approx new fantasmic storage.

The old river wasn't as big as you think, the scale is just way different now because the plot of Star Wars really is huge. For example you can basically fit all of NoS buildings, the pirates show building, Haunted Mansion show building AND Splash Mountain in the *new* shortened river. It's still pretty big compared to that old scale.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Here, this might help you visualize better. I've also long been ball parking it to 13.5% and stick to that. When google maps updates someone can give us a repeat official measurement.

33674492452_a39742a3ce_o.png

The red the old river approximately, the yellow is approx new fantasmic storage. The old river wasn't as big as you think, the scale is just way different now because the plot of Star Wars really is huge.

That does help thanks. So I'm just imagining the new route brushing up against the front of the Fantasmic storage. I wonder if the rumors of the plan at one being to shorten it 35-40% were true. And if so, I wonder what they changed to allow for a much smaller alteration.

BrianLo

Original Poster
That does help thanks. So I'm just imagining the new route brushing up against the front of the Fantasmic storage. I wonder if the rumors of the plan at one being to shorten it 35-40% were true. And if so, I wonder what they changed to allow for a much smaller alteration.

I don't think it was ever true honestly. I think people heard about it, didn't have plans in front of them, or didn't actually measure and imagined the worst. Also a lot of false propagation of numbers still to this day.

I don't think there could have been many iterations of the plan with various cuts in the river. Mostly because we heard about Toon town for forever and there was very little gap between the move and Mice Chat revealing the new route.

It's the railroad though that is really significantly rerouted for that leg. However, I think the railroad will actually be slightly longer because of the new tortuous path.

Fans of the river should celebrate as the cuts were negligible and now there is no way Disney will touch it again for several decades. As I mentioned above, it takes up a juicy amount of real estate even still. I don't think it will be long for the world in the other land limited castle park (Tokyo).

dweezil78

I feel like that's always been the obvious go-to for the ride system -- and this pic seems to reinforce that. But man, I'm left here scratching my head if they really did go that route after all the drama (illness/death/etc) around Mission Space and having to more or less completely deactivate an entire centrifuge, leaving only one operational -- basically throwing millions of $$$ away.

Keeping hope alive that what we're seeing are really just two foundations for big-scale Millennium Falcons!

No Name

I feel like that's always been the obvious go-to for the ride system -- and this pic seems to reinforce that. But man, I'm left here scratching my head if they really did go that route after all the drama (illness/death/etc) around Mission Space and having to more or less completely deactivate an entire centrifuge, leaving only one operational -- basically throwing millions of $$$ away.

Keeping hope alive that what we're seeing are really just two foundations for big-scale Millennium Falcons!

No, it's not like Mission Space at all.

It is just a giant, slowly-revolving turntable, kind of like a horizontal ferris wheel. People board their Millenium Falcon at one point, they go around the circle as the turntable revolves, and then they get off. While the rotation will be almost, if not actually, imperceptible, the point is to create the illusion that there's only one ship, unlike Star Tours and Mission Space which make it obvious that you're boarding one of many.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom