News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

choco choco

We love that area of LA. My wife would love to work at LACMA. It will be a great addition to all the other museums there. Isn't LA getting the Olympics around that time too?

Not sure if you were jumping topics between sentences, but just to be clear: Lucas' museum will be nowhere near LACMA. The grouping of museums LACMA is part of is called the Miracle Mile and is on Wilshire on the westside. Lucas' museum will be with the grouping of museums in Exposition Park, which is just south of Downtown LA.

LA is bidding for the 2024 Olympics, but it is not considered the favorite (Paris is).

choco choco

I was really hoping they'd choose SF, but LA offered a $20 a year lease so no surprise that they chose to build there.

I'm pretty sure Lucas preferred SF too (he first proposed this for the Presidio and most of the things he's built from his riches, from ILM to Skywalker Ranch, is in Northern California), but I don't think the rent money had anything to do with it. The Treasure Island location was just untenable. It's lonely and windswept, and hardly anything is out there. The only argument for putting it on that battered rock was the hope that Lucas' museum would be the seed that spurs the development they've been trying to get onto that island for decades. Even if that happened, it wouldn't be a happenin' area for at least 10-15 years, with his museum having to be the sole (and dubiously sufficient?) anchor during that time. And if it didn't spur development? Well, then he would have built a hard to access white elephant, and who knows if it could have survived that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I'm pretty sure Lucas preferred SF too (he first proposed this for the Presidio and most of the things he's built from his riches, from ILM to Skywalker Ranch, is in Northern California), but I don't think the rent money had anything to do with it. The Treasure Island location was just untenable. It's lonely and windswept, and hardly anything is out there. The only argument for putting it on that battered rock was the hope that Lucas' museum would be the seed that spurs the development they've been trying to get onto that island for decades. Even if that happened, it wouldn't be a happenin' area for at least 10-15 years, with his museum having to be the sole (and dubiously sufficient?) anchor during that time. And if it didn't spur development? Well, then he would have built a hard to access white elephant, and who knows if it could have survived that.

The plans to redevelop Treasure Island did not hinge on Lucas, and the development is already keyed up and underway. With an 18 month construction time frame for medium sized construction projects it's likely we'll see the first residential buildings completed within 2 years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...san-francisco-treasure-island-structures.html

In my opinion the only reason they chose LA is because of the ridiculously low cost of the lease that was offered.

D

Deleted member 107043

Sorry for continuing to go off topic, but I can't believe a city like LA would be aggressively campaigning to host the Olympics. The IOC is corrupt and a 1st tier city like Los Angeles does not need it to boost its image. Seems like a huge waste of money to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Sweatpants

Sorry for continuing to go off topic, but I can't believe a city like LA would be aggressively campaigning to host the Olympics. The IOC is corrupt and a 1st tier city like Los Angeles does not need the it to boost its image. Seems like a huge waste of money to me.
Not to mention the congestion it would bring in...if it ever does come here, it might be a good time to take a vacation to anywhere else.

Phroobar

Not to mention the congestion it would bring in...if it ever does come here, it might be a good time to take a vacation to anywhere else.
Back in 1984 before the Olympics started in LA, the news media made a big deal about the freeways were going to be packed. Dogs and cats were living together and mass hysteria.

It ended up the freeways were deserted because businesses adjusted their employee schedules, deliveries and found alternate routes. It was the best summer on the roads in LA ever! Even smog was down.

D

Deleted member 107043

By all means, stay OUT of Nowhere.

97744120_e2290ca682.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not much construction news because of all the rain this week, but this is kinda related...

George Lucas has chosen Los Angeles to build his $1 Billion (with a B) facility dedicated to his massive art collection and movie career.

Called the George Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, it will sit on land in Exposition Park near the University of Southern California (his alma mater), right next to the Coliseum. A major part of the museum will be dedicated to Mr. Lucas' massive collection of Star Wars ephemera and the creative journey behind the Star Wars movies.
LMNA-LA-01.jpg

The LA Times has a story and a quick video about the process it took for LA to win this bid. I should say for Star Wars fans, Southern California will be mecca for them in a few years once Star Wars Land and the George Lucas museum open to the public. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-la-wins-lucas-museum-20170110-htmlstory.html

Lucas (along with Spielberg) has a huge Norman Rockwell collection some of which I assume will go here.

yookeroo

Sorry for continuing to go off topic, but I can't believe a city like LA would be aggressively campaigning to host the Olympics. The IOC is corrupt and a 1st tier city like Los Angeles does not need it to boost its image. Seems like a huge waste of money to me.

L.A. manages to make money on the Olympics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom