News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

britain

I just really want to see the DLRR while walking on Big Thunder Trail. Trains to the left of me, trains to the right of me! And give guests on the DLRR a good view of Big Thunder. I hope it's not totally masked by trees and rock.

britain

Here's a full height version of that image if anyone is interested.

upload_2016-10-30_9-35-22.png

D

Deleted member 107043

A couple of things I noticed raise some questions for me:

• Has a segment of the service road between Fantasyland and Frontierland been removed? If so how are the backstage areas between the lands being accessed?
  • Judging by the orientation of the eastern portal into SW Land and the removal of the Skyway structure it appears that a direct path to the new land will be built there.

mickEblu

A couple of things I noticed raise some questions for me:

• Has a segment of the service road between Fantasyland and Frontierland been removed? If so how are the backstage areas between the lands being accessed?
  • Judging by the orientation of the eastern portal into SW Land and the removal of the Skyway structure it appears that a direct path to the new land will be built there.

So are you saying you think the path to SWL from FL will start just west of Casey Jr.? I'm hoping it will start just west of the FL/ Frontierland border. Also, what remains to be seen- will Big Thunder trail still exist? I have to believe it would as a way for guests to get to Fantasyland from Frontierland and vice versa, without having to go through SWL.

britain

It would be interesting to entertain the thought of what a Fantasyland / Star Wars transition would be like, but I think it's going really just be two Frontierland entrances, like two Big Thunder Ranch entrances.

mickEblu

It would be interesting to entertain the thought of what a Fantasyland / Star Wars transition would be like, but I think it's going really just be two Frontierland entrances, like two Big Thunder Ranch entrances.

I agree. I think that's kind of what I was getting at with my hope that the the "FL" entrance to SWL is just west of the FL / Frontierland border. After all, that would be Frontierland and not Fantasyland.

TP2000

I overlayed the Micechat map with the recent picture, this gives us a good idea as to where paths/buildings are most likely going to go.

And, looking at it, the Micechat map gets more accurate every day.

Agreed. That Miceage Update map they offered back in 2015 just keeps being more and more accurate. Obviously what they had back in '15 was the holy grail and some sort of official document that they based their own map on. No one else has been able to offer anything as accurate and correct as that Miceage Update.

Here it is again for those who don't visit Micechat and haven't been following Miceage Updates for the last decade or so...

StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

So are you saying you think the path to SWL from FL will start just west of Casey Jr.?

No, only saying that it's a beeline path from Casey Jr. to the eastern SW portal, which could explain the demolition of the Skyway terminal. However, I do agree with you and RMichael21 that the MiceAge map appears to be what the final layout will look like, more or less.

D

Deleted member 107043

BrianLo

Original Poster
That wall on the west side of the land is HUGE! Is that the wall for the Stormtrooper ride?

I actually don't think this was included on the MiceAge map. I'm thinking another partial berm to hide Mickey and Friends/backstage from the entrance path gap as guests come from Hungry Bear and wrap around behind the RoA rock work.

Technically a small expansion plot could exist there, but I assume there is some new back of house thing they'll stick in there for SWE, along with the new service road.

Edit: Here is where I think that wall is.

30642684836_44cdee2c66_o.jpg

Double Edit: Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and it's actually more North making it for the attraction, so hard to judge the depth of things via photo.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
A few days old (from Friday), but I just wanted to highlight a few photos from Mint Crocodile of some angles we haven't seen in a while.

Primarily theming of the Southern facing side of the berm is flying along. It helps with all the prefab stuff they are bringing in.

i-SsPCdG4-O.png

i-Gndgwm6-O.png

i-WP959qd-O.png

i-KCzHFCQ-O.png

Plus the classic wide angle, which confirms my above suspicion that the new large wall will be berm and is not part of the show building.

i-QRN2sxF-O.png

BrianLo

Original Poster
So is the DLRR going to climb the grade in the second picture?

The track is going to run where the yellow vest guy is (98% sure). The grade on the other side should be full of trees, for the longest time I thought that was the side the train was supposed to be on.

I know it looks like a dead end, but I think when the forms are removed shortly we'll be able to clearly make out the tunnel/trench the train will enter up there.

Old Mouseketeer

The track is going to run where the yellow vest guy is (98% sure). The grade on the other side should be full of trees, for the longest time I thought that was the side the train was supposed to be on.

I know it looks like a dead end, but I think when the forms are removed shortly we'll be able to clearly make out the tunnel/trench the train will enter up there.

I know for certain that you are correct. You can see an opening in the forms where the opening for the train to enter the tunnel is. CMs who have seen this from backstage have described the reconstruction of the lower third of the vehicle underpass to the right for rerouting the track. To the left of the yellow vest guy up on the scaffolding they are painting the rock work. That wall will be behind the train. The best guess at this point is that there will be dense landscaping in front of the train. I had the same assumption about the route being behind that wall. This will be interesting.

180º

I'm guessing the reason for the immense retaining walls next to the train is not for sight lines from the train, since they could have simply planted trees on the same grade. Rather, I think raising the tree line up so high will work to obscure the Millennium Falcon show building from the rest of the park.

Another note: It's harder to see in pictures, but in person, while riding BTMRR, it looks like the new railroad will come up reeeaaaaaaally close to the ride. From what I can see, there's barely room for a full size guest walkway in between Thunder Mountain and the new DLRR tracks, so its going to be a tight squeeze. That said, I won't be surprised if there is no guest path there and all Frontierland<–>Fantasyland access will be through Star Wars Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom