News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Stevek

Are they just clearing the area behind Toontown for other things or will the land actually expand there? Because, holy crap. I mean, really?
Nothing behind aka North of Toontown per se is being removed. I assume you mean directly West? Per an earlier post in the thread, it's likely that area will be for construction staging at this point but is apparently slated as an expansion pad for later. Expansion of what is unknown...more Star Wars? Arrendale/FL Expansion?

TP2000

Got it, thanks! I had forgotten about the expansion space.

The Miceage update last month that had that map said WDI is eyeing that expansion pad for a Frozen-based expansion of Fantasyland.

When Star Wars was slated to take out the Fantasyland Theater earlier last year, it likely got folks thinking of a Disneyland without that theater facility long-term, and the Frozen village would take up that space while the dark ride show building would be to the north on the expansion pad wedged between Toontown the Millenium Falcon rides show building.

Rich T

Are they just clearing the area behind Toontown for other things or will the land actually expand there? Because, holy crap. I mean, really?
Look at it this way: If, by some unlikely chance, the general public ever tires of Star Wars, all this area can be converted to Discovery Bay! :D

D

Deleted member 107043

I think I might have bad memories of the god-awful Videopolis stuck in my head. :D

The venue is a lasting remnant from a time when the top California theme parks were building large outdoor stage venues to attract repeat local business during the summer, and it's no surprise that the trend for these venues coincided with the advent of annual passes (DL's AP program started in '84). In fact, Great America's Redwood Amphitheater, which opened in 1986, one year after Videopolis/FLT, is still operating, and features a D list summer music series every year. Considering this, FLT always struck me as an awkward fit with the rest of DL, and the unthemed enormous canopy that came later only made it more out of step with everything in the park that came before it or since. I'm all for DL having a well appointed stage venue, but I'd prefer to see shows in a venue that was better integrated into the fabric of the park like DCA's Hyperion, the old Space Stage, or the Videopolis/Cafe Hyperion at DLP. If you want to see Six Flags at DLR look no further than the FLT.

Last edited by a moderator:

yookeroo

Wow, what a great idea for a thread, and it's already filled with shocking construction photos. Thanks @BrianLo for kicking this off.

That Big Thunder photo from the lift hill is the most shocking; they've really done a lot of work on removing trees the last two weeks. It's really happening.

its-happening-gif.png

Curious Constance

I think I might have bad memories of the god-awful Videopolis stuck in my head. :D

The venue is a lasting remnant from a time when the top California theme parks were building large outdoor stage venues to attract repeat local business during the summer, and it's no surprise that the trend for these venues coincided with the advent of annual passes (DL's AP program started in '84). In fact, Great America's Redwood Amphitheater, which opened in 1986, one year after Videopolis/FLT, is still operating, and features a D list summer music series every year. Considering this, FLT always struck me as an awkward fit with the rest of DL, and the unthemed enormous canopy that came later only made it more out of step with everything in the park that came before it or since. I'm all for DL having a well appointed stage venue, but I'd prefer to see shows in a venue that was better integrated into the fabric of the park like DCA's Hyperion, the old Space Stage, or the Videopolis/Cafe Hyperion at DLP. If you want to see Six Flags at DLR look no further than the FLT.
I was all excited to see Mickey and the Magical Map when we last visited, got our seats, show started, and I didn't really find anything likable about it. It was okay, but nothing about it really was good or great.

D

Deleted member 107043

Kind of what I figured. How can you do a Disney stage spectacle justice in a daytime outdoor theater?

TP2000

Kind of what I figured. How can you do a Disney stage spectacle justice in a daytime outdoor theater?

Agreed. And you're sitting on those metal bleachers, the snack bar is wafting fake cheese fumes nearby, and then you've got the steam trains chugging past every 8 minutes during the show and Gadget's Go Coaster rattling through the trees . To me, that type of theater environment just screams "I'm in an amusement park in 1974".

They should stop trying to do semi-legitimate theater there and just bring back the Kids of the Kingdom, or maybe get Up With People to book a summer season there. Those are the only kind of acts that really fit in that outdoor venue.

GiveMeTheMusic

Agreed. And you're sitting on those metal bleachers, the snack bar is wafting fake cheese fumes nearby, and then you've got the steam trains chugging past every 8 minutes during the show and Gadget's Go Coaster rattling through the trees . To me, that type of theater environment just screams "I'm in an amusement park in 1974".

They should stop trying to do semi-legitimate theater there and just bring back the Kids of the Kingdom, or maybe get Up With People to book a summer season there. Those are the only kind of acts that really fit in that outdoor venue.

It's gotten this close to being enclosed and made into a proper theater twice. It's a shame that never happened.

TP2000

It's gotten this close to being enclosed and made into a proper theater twice. It's a shame that never happened.

Fascinating!

And yet if that area becomes the outdoor village part of Arendelle and the gateway to a kick-butt dark ride in a big show building north of the railroad tracks, I will be glad they kept the metal bleachers and the cheese-sauce warmer in the snack bar for all these years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom