News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Yup! The public is not going crazy for Star Wars Land, on either coast. That is the shocking story of 2019. :oops:

Another busy holiday weekend at Disneyland for Veteran's Day! Sunny and beautiful fall weather. The crowds are big, and yet Disneyland's first E Ticket in 25 years has a wait time equal to that of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Thank goodness they cancelled Fastpass for Pirates at the last second, or this comparison wouldn't work so perfectly.

E Ticket wait times just before 4:00pm today...

Submarine Voyage - 30 Minutes
Grizzly River Run, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise - 35 Minutes
Millennium Falcon: Target Run (1,600 riders per hour) - 40 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean (2,800 riders per hour) - 40 Minutes

Small World Holiday, Chase-A-Baby! - 45 Minutes
Star Tours - 55 Minutes
Haunted Mansion Holiday, Soarin', Guardians of the Galaxy - 60 Minutes
Hyperspace Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain - 80 Minutes
Matterhorn Bobsleds - 95 Minutes
Radiator Racers - 120 Minutes
Right now at 10:00am:
Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run - 55 Minutes
Pirates of the Caribbean - 20 Minutes

So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. That you can pick and choose a time of day to push a narrative? People rush to Galaxy's Edge in the morning and do other things in the afternoon. This shows nothing.

mickEblu

So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. That you can pick and choose a time of day to push a narrative? People rush to Galaxy's Edge in the morning and do other things in the afternoon. This shows nothing.

Right. I guess this was also the case with RSR, Star Tours and Indy 5 months after they opened.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Right. I guess this was also the case with RSR, Star Tours and Indy 5 months after they opened.
Those are all attractions (including Space Mt. which has a high wait right now) that people run to in the mornings. Probably more than Pirates. People tend to ride Pirates in the late afternoon when it's warmer outside and want to get off their feet for 15 minutes.

My whole point being that not all situations are equal all the time and you can't pinpoint one specific time of the day to use as a guide to prove something is failing or succeeding. You wouldn't use 10pm on a Winter's night to prove Splash is a failure.

Travel Junkie

Chapek needed to go before SWL. SWL was the death knell

For the sake of argument, based on what?

I'm not a fan of his, but I don't believe he is any better or worse than his predecessors. If he leaves, he will probably be replaced with a like minded individual.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Those are all attractions (including Space Mt. which has a high wait right now) that people run to in the mornings. Probably more than Pirates. People tend to ride Pirates in the late afternoon when it's warmer outside and want to get off their feet for 15 minutes.

My whole point being that not all situations are equal all the time and you can't pinpoint one specific time of the day to use as a guide to prove something is failing or succeeding. You wouldn't use 10pm on a Winter's night to prove Splash is a failure.

So do you think that 5 months after Indy, RSR, or Star Tours opened that POTC had longer waits than those rides at any point in the day? POTC doesn’t really ever have longer lines than any of the mentioned rides today. Let alone after those attractions first opened.

Travel Junkie

Pixar Pier
GOTG: MB
Axing all life out of Galaxies Edge

To name a few

Looking at it from a pragmatic business perspective, none of those meet the standard of Chapek losing his job. I'm sorry it just doesn't. I realize this is a fan site, but for Disney to make a move like removing the head of parks, you need a viable business reason.

I understand not liking Chapek as a fan. To lose his job though he needs an epic financial failure. As much as some people wished it was GE, revenue was up 8% in its first quarter of operation without even running at full strength. Staggs was axed largely over WDW's next gen. Chapek doesn't have anything that gives Disney any reason to look a different direction.

Unless something major happens, my thinking is that Chapek will not be fired. However in due time he will leave on his own. It's clear that he wants Iger's job. Assuming he doesn't get it (and I don't think he will) he will move on. People at this level don't stay in the same position for long. They either move up or they move out. Once he realizes he will not be CEO, he will begin to look elsewhere.

TP2000

Valid point on timing. Tourists, bless their little Birnbaum reading hearts, rush to the Falcon ride in the morning to "beat the crowds!", not realizing the wait time will be lower by early afternoon. At 2:15pm its now posted at 35 minutes.

I'm not one who thinks Star Wars Land was a total failure like DCA 1.0 was. But I think it's very obvious now that the public has not gone crazy over it like we all thought they would. I thought they would. TDA thought they would. Burbank thought they would. We all thought they would go crazy over this thing.

That's the story here, the tepid crowd/consumer response to the $1 Billion Star Wars Land opening Disneyland's first E Ticket rides in 25 years. With Hong Kong Disneyland now suffering attendance dives that won't be easy to recover from, 2020 should be a very fun year to watch for us Disneyland observers. If the Resistance ride doesn't knock it out of the ballpark, I don't think it's alarmist to say that heads will probably roll and execs will depart in Burbank.

This wasn't how 2019 was supposed to go for them. :mad:

mickEblu

Valid point on timing. Tourists, bless their little Birnbaum reading hearts, rush to the Falcon ride in the morning to "beat the crowds!", not realizing the wait time will be lower by early afternoon.

I'm not one who thinks Star Wars Land was a total failure like DCA 1.0 was. But I think it's very obvious now that the public has not gone crazy over it like we all thought they would. I thought they would. TDA thought they would. Burbank thought they would. We all thought they would.

That's the story here, the tepid crowd/consumer response to the $1 Billion Star Wars Land opening Disneyland's first E Ticket rides in 25 years. With Hong Kong Disneyland now suffering attendance dives that won't be easy to recover from, 2020 should be a very fun year to watch for us Disneyland observers. If the Resistance ride doesn't knock it out of the ballpark, I don't think it's alarmist to say that heads will probably roll and execs will depart in Burbank.

That wasn't how 2019 was supposed to go for them. :mad:

I think ROTR will be a hit ( I hope). I think the real hit will be MMRR.

TP2000

They won't fire Chapek because they already let Catherine Powell take the fall.
You know... Equal Opportunity and all.

My favorite part of that sad tale is how the day before Ms. Powell was fired, Bob Iger had a glowing puff piece written about him in the Sunday New York Times where he gushed that they were looking to promote women executives in all divisions of the company. And then the next morning they fired Catherine Powell as the highest ranking woman in the Parks & Resorts division and announced she was going to "do something different". Ouch.

Although, almost no one even knew she existed as Mr. Chapek's second in command. Which generally isn't a good thing and kind of proves you are worthless to the organization and the running of theme parks. They didn't even backfill her role, they just eliminated it off the books entirely. Double Ouch.

Last edited:

TP2000

I thought she was dead.

I can top that, as I thought she was alive. @Mickeyboof was kind enough to break the news to me. She passed away early this year a few days short of her 98th birthday.

I think ROTR will be a hit ( I hope). I think the real hit will be MMRR.

I agree! I am excited for this Railway ride, and it will be tempting to fly out to Florida to ride it in 2020 or '21 if it's as good as folks are saying. I think it's going to be a huge hit for Disneyland, and may even become an instant classic a la' Indiana Jones or Radiator Springs Racers.

My experiences at Star Wars Land have tempered my expectations for the Resistance ride, but perhaps they still have the ability to surprise us and exceed expectations? I just hope Ky'le from Tustin loads me into my prison car. Bright Suns!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Valid point on timing. Tourists, bless their little Birnbaum reading hearts, rush to the Falcon ride in the morning to "beat the crowds!", not realizing the wait time will be lower by early afternoon. At 2:15pm its now posted at 35 minutes.

I'm not one who thinks Star Wars Land was a total failure like DCA 1.0 was. But I think it's very obvious now that the public has not gone crazy over it like we all thought they would. I thought they would. TDA thought they would. Burbank thought they would. We all thought they would go crazy over this thing.

For gits and shiggles I grabbed the observed wait times from Touring Plans for yesterday. Their observed times are the light purple lines:

1573508353784.png

See how it grows quickly and is already at 70min by 8:30am. At 1:30pm it temporarily peaked as high as 110min. And what actually made me chuckle...45min at 4:04pm, 4 minutes before you posted your wait times. Perhaps you caught it at a lull?

Just to reiterate my other point, here is Pirates for the same day:

1573508837526.png

It ramps a bit more slowly in the morning and never gets much above 40-45 minutes most of the day while SR was averaging 65-70+ most of the day. Capacity could have an impact, though I still don't believe SR is at 1600, perhaps closer to 1800, but I'm gonna do some timing experiments when I'm there in a couple weeks to try and gauge it better.

BrianLo

With Hong Kong Disneyland now suffering attendance dives that won't be easy to recover from

As a Hong Kong Disneyland supporter, that's basically just another year in the life of Hong Kong Disneyland. That park never catches a break.

though I still don't believe SR is at 1600, perhaps closer to 1800, but I'm gonna do some timing experiments when I'm there in a couple weeks to try and gauge it better.

Agreed, I did the same 'experiment' from the Single Rider line. It being a good estimation of seeing the cadence of many groups lead me to around 1800 also.

Regardless, I see Fast Pass coming sooner than later.

Last edited:

Phroobar

My favorite part of that sad tale is how the day before Ms. Powell was fired, Bob Iger had a glowing puff piece written about him in the Sunday New York Times where he gushed that they were looking to promote women executives in all divisions of the company. And then the next morning they fired Catherine Powell as the highest ranking woman in the Parks & Resorts division and announced she was going to "do something different". Ouch.

Although, almost no one even knew she existed as Mr. Chapek's second in command. Which generally isn't a good thing and kind of proves you are worthless to the organization and the running of theme parks. They didn't even backfill her role, they just eliminated it off the books entirely. Double Ouch.
She obviously messed up Chapek's morning order from Starbucks one too many times.

Travel Junkie

As a Hong Kong Disneyland supporter, that's basically just another year in the life of Hong Kong Disneyland. That park never catches a break.
I swear that park is cursed. It's such an underrated gem. Hopefully their luck changes soon.

Regardless, I see Fast Pass coming sooner than later.

Agreed. My guess is that soon after ROTR is running reliably they will introduce FP to both GE rides. DHS needs the FP capacity much more than Disneyland, but FP will even out the wait times more.

tirian

You aught to join us in the WDW-centric earnings thread where some people have joined the boards just to say, “Look! Attendance rose! There’s a profit! We told you SWGE wasn’t a failure!” And they ignore the cuts and scapegoating required to show that profit.

Bless their hearts, they just don’t understand how high-stakes Wall Street businesses work. I spent a bit of time trying to explain it without sounding like an old grump. Then I gave up.

tirian

The one-two punch of the final Skywalker-saga film and the Mandalorean might improve guest response to ROTR. But now I’m hearing internal concerns that the attraction doesn’t have the repeatability of Indiana Jones or Star Tours.

Apparently, there are rumors it’s another one-and-done* experience for DL APs (like Millennium Falcon) because it depends too much on the surprises from a first ride. Have you heard any similar buzz?

*which means DL local APs won’t keep lining up for it like they do for the classics. DHS will always have a different response.

TP2000

I've been following the news on Hong Kong closely. It appears that it's going to get worse for the city of Hong Kong before it gets better. Perhaps much worse, like Tiananmen Square 1989 worse. :oops:

Hong Kong Disneyland has already had huge impacts to its attendance and spending as tourism to Hong Kong has collapsed this fall. Both sides are digging in, and I don't see the Communist Politburo in Beijing giving up anytime soon. Hong Kong Disneyland is just one of many casualties in the Hong Kong situation, but again, it's going to get worse before it gets better. This could take a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom