News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

JD2000

BOOM!

my quick and crappy review:

Pleasantly surprised and give it one thumbs up. But now on to mostly criticisms.

Land:
Too big of a land, especially dedicated to one IP, which in itself is a bad idea.
The fossilized trees being painted light grey look unfinished, and like concrete.
Route from Critter Country is too barren. It needs a building or two.
Custom Lightsabors and Droids are way overpriced.

Smugglers Run:
The positions ranked by interactive fun are Pilots, then Gunners, followed by Engineer.
But for a fun passive experience, it would be Engineer, then Gunners, followed by Pilots.
Sucks that Single Riders usually get Engineer.
Right Pilot needs option for non-inverted controls.
Gunners should NOT have manual option. Automatic is way more fun. Manuel is not complex enough. But too much complexity would be bad for the average guest.
Surprised by the amount of motion.
Arguably better overall than Star Tours.
Queue is clearly missing animatronics cut from the budget.
Queue includes very questionable long term materials (e.g. painted dry wall)
Painted vs Lit exit signs conflict with each other in at least one corridor on the way out. This way, no that way!

Bonus: How many Vloggers are there? I don't wish to be filmed the entire wait.

Jones14

I honestly can’t believe Disney is promoting a land using things they DIDNT Build...

I can remember Eisner getting WDI snit because he wouldn’t let them do more theming on rockinrollercoaster

😂😂
It almost feels like they’re thumbing their noses at the cuts. “Oh, you cut the aliens from the Cantina? Let’s release the character designs so everyone can see what you pulled out.”

No Name

The east coast folks on this board seem to have a much more positive opinion of the whole thing. It may have a bit to do with more booze and lower standards, but as of now, I attribute it most to a peculiar misconception of “detail” and “theming.” Something that looks worn or dirty or blasted gives them orgasms even if it doesn’t add to the story. They, ironically, like the Joe Rohde era of theme park design without understanding when and why it works. Many elements of Galaxy’s Edge do not work, leaving the land often feeling depressing rather than optimistic.

The company’s most esteemed imagineer just saw the land in person yesterday?

voodoo321

The east coast folks on this board seem to have a much more positive opinion of the whole thing. It may have a bit to do with more booze and lower standards, but as of now, I attribute it most to a peculiar misconception of “detail” and “theming.” Something that looks worn or dirty or blasted gives them orgasms even if it doesn’t add to the story. They, ironically, like the Joe Rohde era of theme park design without understanding when and why it works. Many elements of Galaxy’s Edge do not work, leaving the land often feeling depressing rather than optimistic.

Riiiight. If Instagram text could only convey the sounds of being waterboarded.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Wdw consumers (I am one for 20 years after being a 4 year veteran) have completely abandoned any personal pride/integrity when consuming Disney product.

It’s just about about “escaping” for that week or two How ever often they go...it’s nothing about what they pay or the lower standards of consumption.

It’s sad...really. I always think life at home must suck if you can’t look at your vacation time objectively at all.

And I actually like Disneyland’s Star Wars land more than I thought...but it’s tied to their mistakes on the IP (see the awful episode 9 presentation). They’ve completely mishandled it...pooched. And built 2 under built lands tied to those mistakes.

But wdw fans are about to flood this place and proclaim its “amazing”...a game changer.

It can’t be anything else when you make it such a focal point of life. Never an option.

Last edited:

Jones14

I’m not so sure that I can get behind WDW guests just being less discerning than Disneyland guests.

What I do think is that the larger resort allows them more opportunities to get their perceived value out of a trip, and avoid the things they’re not impressed by or interested in without feeling like they’re missing out. That’s why Pandora’s slammed every single day and Epcot is a ghost town.

Combine that with the fact that WDW has had more hits and more capital investment than Disneyland has over the last few years, and you’re going to find east coast visitors who have a bit more goodwill stored up for when things aren’t living up to the hype. And it makes sense; those who have just come off of Flight of Passage and head to the Falcon are going to be easier to please than those who just got off of the Incredicoaster.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not so sure that I can get behind WDW guests just being less discerning than Disneyland guests.

What I do think is that the larger resort allows them more opportunities to get their perceived value out of a trip, and avoid the things they’re not impressed by or interested in without feeling like they’re missing out. That’s why Pandora’s slammed every single day and Epcot is a ghost town.

Combine that with the fact that WDW has had more hits and more capital investment than Disneyland has over the last few years, and you’re going to find east coast visitors who have a bit more goodwill stored up for when things aren’t living up to the hype. And it makes sense; those who have just come off of Flight of Passage and head to the Falcon are going to be easier to please than those who just got off of the Incredicoaster.

After many years and battles in the trenches: I’d say it’s safer to believe it.

What I don’t support is that Disneyland fans are “less crazy” for Disney. That is not true. What is true is there are way more passholders and they can take it or leave it and that impacts the operation.

Florida residents are such a small sliver of the pie they couldn’t make a dent. And even DVC can’t...they (like me...but with less standards) are locked in.

They just can’t budge because of the logistics and costs. They’re going. Disney knows this. It’s why I say they can kill the monorail...they know nobody is gonna cancel. That’s silly.

Look around here...three year vacation countdowns, pre trip reports, post trip reports...33 Disney cruises...

Nothing they do will matter. Only recessions have the power

I’ll get this prediction on record now: Star Wars land is gonna have huge crowds (it better anyway) in mgm for the next six months. Defenders of Disney will use this as evidence. It is not...it was the only thing that was gonna happen based on the booking windows and the costs involved.

It’s pretty simple if the brain is switched on.

captveg

The storm troopers are static.

The storm troopers are (reportedly) a mix of animatronics and static. When you have a crowd of people you only need movement from some to give the impression of movement for all.

They're also gonna have a huge "window" screen behind them with a space battle going on, and you'll be getting "captured" by the First Order and moved to "cells" while all this is going on, so that will presumably help is selling the experience.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The storm troopers are static.

Ya but that’s because there are supposed to be something like 50-100 stormtroopers. Not all of them are going to be full on AAs. I’d imagine someone like Admiral Ackbar look a alike dude should be an AA, even if not super articulate.

Anjin

Ya but that’s because there are supposed to be something like 50-100 stormtroopers. Not all of them are going to be full on AAs. I’d imagine someone like Admiral Ackbar look a alike dude should be an AA, even if not super articulate.
My favorite thing about this is that the static troopers are the ones that are following their orders in this situation. The animatronic troopers are the ones who have broken formation for some reason. So Imagineering is putting all the effort into the ones who are screwing up in some way. :D

Hawg G

At this point, I don't see any way Rise of the Resistance will meet the expectations/SWGE savior requirements that have been put upon it.

britain

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom