News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

tonymu

Premium Member
Honestly, I’ve been thinking a lot about the ride and it’s successes and weaknesses in general (and not for more selective riders like you’d find here) and I came away with a few thoughts.

3. One of the biggest problems of the entire experience has nothing to do with the ride itself, but the line. Think about the line for Star Tours: the first room has character (C3PO and R2D2), and activity (both fixing the Starspeeder 1000/3000 and the constantly rotating tourist ads/departure/arrival/weather board). The second room features more movement and eye catchers with the multiple droids and view window with characters walking by. Compare that to the Falcon line: the first room is incredibly lifeless, with the engine in the center occasionally doing something, and the radio occasionally spouting off some banter that doesn’t advance the ride story in any meaningful way. It definitely improves in the Hondo AA room, but goes right back to disappointing in the chess room, which is more of a sign that they should have done a Falcon walkthrough than a Falcon ride. Some of this is fixable (the hanger bay desperately needs this fixing) but it speaks to an understanding of what makes a theme park ride work. The classics like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, all build anticipation through the queue for the upcoming ride, while only one room on Falcon does that.
I don't think they place much importance on the use of the queue in the story of the attraction anymore. Everything is about Fastpass and that usually bypasses most of the queue. For those in the queue nowadays, if there is some kind of effect, it has to be timed with very long intervals since the standby queue moves so slowly, or people in standby will hear or see it over and over. The old use of the queue to start the story and set the tone of the attraction just does not work with Fastpass!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Nope, I can actually confirm it’s done with the App. I was sitting there for like 10 mins doing it over and over again for folks who were trying to get it to work by just pushing the fountain button.
interesting. i know i saw fresh baked disney push the button to get it to work when he went during the press preview

Nirya

I don't think they place much importance on the use of the queue in the story of the attraction anymore. Everything is about Fastpass and that usually bypasses most of the queue. For those in the queue nowadays, if there is some kind of effect, it has to be timed with very long intervals since the standby queue moves so slowly, or people in standby will hear or see it over and over. The old use of the queue to start the story and set the tone of the attraction just does not work with Fastpass!

Ehh, I don’t think so. Just consider the last two reworking at DCA. M:BO really only lets you skip the outside line, while all the story stuff is when the lines combine. Incredicoaster lets you skip most of the line, but the only story but of note you miss are the character story posters; when the lines combine, that’s when you get the tv story bits. Really all of DCA was built once Fastpass was in use, and they still incorporate story in the few rides that have them. The MF:SR line is just a travesty.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
no because i was watching his live stream of the land and saw it in other videos like tim tracker's when the land first opened.
Than maybe that was just for the media previews, I don't know how much the App was used during the media previews. Because I can tell you for sure it only worked when I used the App. Everyone was sitting there pushing the fountain and nothing would happen. I open the App, used the "hack" option, and all of a sudden it worked.

Basically I've done it myself, so unless you can say you've been there and done it yourself you should stop arguing about it.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Than maybe that was just for the media previews, I don't know how much the App was used during the media previews. Because I can tell you for sure it only worked when I used the App. Everyone was sitting there pushing the fountain and nothing would happen. I open the App, used the "hack" option, and all of a sudden it worked.

Basically I've done it myself, so unless you can say you've been there and done it yourself you should stop arguing about it.
I am not arguing at all. i am just pointing out what i saw and can still see in their available vidoes. maybe they changed it to be used with the app since the opening but for a fact it was not just the app that activated it when it opened. so get over yourself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I am not arguing at all. i am just pointing out what i saw and can still see in their available vidoes. maybe they changed it to be used with the app since the opening but for a fact it was not just the app that activated it when it opened. so get over yourself.
My point is you're relying on videos to tell someone who has been there and done it that they're incorrect. Videos don't tell the whole story or can be outdated, and since you haven't done it yourself you don't know if the videos are correct or not.

We do know that during CM previews the App wasn't working, or was working in limited fashion only on specific devices that Disney handed out. So it is very possible that they have slowly been rolling out more and more of the App functionality. So how about you get over yourself, and actually believe people that have been to the land in person and experienced themselves.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

And just a point of clarification, I think they might have turned off the fountain button function since opening but here is a news article that clearly states the app is the way to get the Dianoga to show up:

visitors will be able to trigger the Dianoga's appearance with the press of a button or through the newly overhauled Play Disney Parks mobile app

Like I said everyone was pushing the fountain button and it wasn't working over the entire weekend, so I used the App for them.

George Lucas on a Bench

Whatever that land is attached to the back of Disneyland...well, it was certainly an attempt at Star Wars but it feels really off the mark. This is what they thought would be a great SW theme park attraction? They aimed so much lower back in the 80s and still delivered a beloved Star Warsian experience even with only two original characters.

The spirit of George Lucas needs to appear like Mufasa in the sky above Galaxy Edge, because boy have they forgotten him and what Star Wars is...

rsm

Then Chewie, the red A-Wing, gonk droids, astromechs, Millenium Falcon, Rex, the dianoga, landspeeder, and the Ithorian can all look up and wave at him - because those creations of his (among others) are all in the land.

drod1985

Why is the Chewie costume they use so bad? I’ve never liked it. It looks nothing like Chewbacca.

I understand the hair not having the same sheen as it has to stand up to everyday use with the general public. But the mouth/lips are way off, and I can't see a good reason for that.

Ismael Flores

And just a point of clarification, I think they might have turned off the fountain button function since opening but here is a news article that clearly states the app is the way to get the Dianoga to show up:

Like I said everyone was pushing the fountain button and it wasn't working over the entire weekend, so I used the App for them.

The thing was working well on saturday and had people quite entertained. It was a hot day so lots of people filling up their water bottles and using fountain. Saw a dad pay a practical joke on children. After filling their bottles the creature popped up and he turns to them and tells them " is that the water you are drinking? " kids spits out water LOL

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The thing was working well on saturday and had people quite entertained. It was a hot day so lots of people filling up their water bottles and using fountain. Saw a dad pay a practical joke on children. After filling their bottles the creature popped up and he turns to them and tells them " is that the water you are drinking? " kids spits out water LOL

The new Beverly!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom