News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Nirya

The FreshBaked gang was able to get two canisters AND the asteroid scene. I hadn't seen that done before. Ian mentions hearing about someone getting three canisters.

Is that good? I got two canisters and the asteroid scene on a flight, but I assumed we got the asteroid scene because our pilots couldn’t figure out how not to hit things (and refused to hit the boost button).

sedati

Is that good? I got two canisters and the asteroid scene on a flight, but I assumed we got the asteroid scene because our pilots couldn’t figure out how not to hit things (and refused to hit the boost button).
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I the concensus here seemed to be that you only got the asteroid scene if you had done poorly.

Nirya

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I the concensus here seemed to be that you only got the asteroid scene if you had done poorly.

Yeah, the only time I didn’t get the asteroid scene was when my buddy and I were piloting, because we understand how video games work so we managed not to hit things.

Nirya

"Not hitting things." Hmmm... tell me, how does that work?

I feel like this is a humblebrag, but piloting the ship isn’t that hard, especially if you’ve played any video game with soft flying controls. I actually grew up on Microsoft Flight Simulator (dad had a joystick specifically for it) so nothing about the flying is especially difficult comparatively.

RobWDW1971

Yeah, the only time I didn’t get the asteroid scene was when my buddy and I were piloting, because we understand how video games work so we managed not to hit things.

I was told that the asteroid field has nothing to do with your game play, but is related to the timing of the carousel and unload. In my experience, I have seen no correlation between the score and getting the asteroid field. Can someone confirm?

TiggerDad

Smuggler's Run would be a lot more fun if it didn't require waiting in line and riding with strangers.
If you go with a group of six, you don't ride with strangers, and if you timed your visit right, it has been a walk on sometimes. Of course, that doesn't solve all problems, including the skill level of your friends and family.

JD2000

I am no longer sure about something. Can you choose between two modes as gunner(s)? Automatic: one button; no need to aim. Manual: three buttons; aim up, straight, or down?
I managed to find an excellent guide, confirming two modes for the gunner position(s), and it also helped me to better understand why imagineers settled on certain gameplay decisions and to appreciate the ride more. I actually look forward now to riding it. I suggest everyone give it a read, even if you already rode it.

:cool:

britain

Remember Luigi's Flying Tires? Another attraction built for the technology and not the art. That ride only lasted three years. Of course, this is a much bigger attraction, but the point still stands: rides that guests don't find fun don't last long. I don't know how long Falcon will last, but it'll undeniably see massive changes within the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it closes within fifteen.

"Built for the technology and not the art"? How on earth can you say this about the Falcon? The tech was conceived and built to pull off the illusion of flying the Falcon. It's not a tech demo in search of a story. <CoughMissionSpaceCough>

TROR

"Built for the technology and not the art"? How on earth can you say this about the Falcon? The tech was conceived and built to pull off the illusion of flying the Falcon. It's not a tech demo in search of a story. <CoughMissionSpaceCough>
I suppose you’re right. I meant more along that the only impressive aspect was the technology rather than the ride.

Nirya

I suppose you’re right. I meant more along that the only impressive aspect was the technology rather than the ride.

That’s a fixable problem, though. If the ride had bad tech to begin with, it wouldn’t be salvageable, but since this should theoretically work like Star Tours in it being reprogrammable, they can make new Falcon missions that are more engaging than Corellia, which is a boring planet with a boring mission.

mickEblu

That’s a fixable problem, though. If the ride had bad tech to begin with, it wouldn’t be salvageable, but since this should theoretically work like Star Tours in it being reprogrammable, they can make new Falcon missions that are more engaging than Corellia, which is a boring planet with a boring mission.

Hopefully they find a way to make the gunner and engineer roles more fun as well as give the ride more movement

Nirya

Hopefully they find a way to make the gunner and engineer roles more fun as well as give the ride make movement

Honestly, I’ve been thinking a lot about the ride and it’s successes and weaknesses in general (and not for more selective riders like you’d find here) and I came away with a few thoughts.

1. The gunner and engineer roles, in a vacuum, are designed well. They give just enough to do and can visualize their successes on the screen, and really seem to be designed for riders who want to enjoy the experience without taking a role that could hamper the experience for others. This especially, in a vacuum again, seems like perfect roles for small children who would excel at the “Simon Says” nature of pushing the lit buttons. The big problem is that the pilot positions also exist, and by their very nature would be the most coveted, especially for younger riders. Thus, you end up with smartly-designed roles that are critically undone by another role that is more sought-after.
2. The movement, in general, seems fine? It certainly isn’t Indiana Jones, but in a small ride vehicle on a ride designed to be as all-ages as possible, the movement probably could not be more than what it is. I personally think the movement could stand to be more intense, but in general it’s probably fine.
3. One of the biggest problems of the entire experience has nothing to do with the ride itself, but the line. Think about the line for Star Tours: the first room has character (C3PO and R2D2), and activity (both fixing the Starspeeder 1000/3000 and the constantly rotating tourist ads/departure/arrival/weather board). The second room features more movement and eye catchers with the multiple droids and view window with characters walking by. Compare that to the Falcon line: the first room is incredibly lifeless, with the engine in the center occasionally doing something, and the radio occasionally spouting off some banter that doesn’t advance the ride story in any meaningful way. It definitely improves in the Hondo AA room, but goes right back to disappointing in the chess room, which is more of a sign that they should have done a Falcon walkthrough than a Falcon ride. Some of this is fixable (the hanger bay desperately needs this fixing) but it speaks to an understanding of what makes a theme park ride work. The classics like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, all build anticipation through the queue for the upcoming ride, while only one room on Falcon does that.
4. As for the ride itself, the biggest issue is the story. Corellia just sucks, plain and simple. Stealing coaxium isn’t nearly as thrilling as Imagineers expected it to be, and on some level I kind of expect this was their first pass at a workable story to have something ready for opening. As I’ve stated prior, one of the best fixes they could possibly do is change the story of the ride once RotR opens to put you in the space battle for that ride. It’s give the general public an experience closer to what they actually want (fly Falcon in space battle against Empire).

britain

One wonders if they were planning on moving the American Sings geese, er, the repair droids over to Hondo's garage once Star Tours closed, hmm?

mickEblu

Honestly, I’ve been thinking a lot about the ride and it’s successes and weaknesses in general (and not for more selective riders like you’d find here) and I came away with a few thoughts.

1. The gunner and engineer roles, in a vacuum, are designed well. They give just enough to do and can visualize their successes on the screen, and really seem to be designed for riders who want to enjoy the experience without taking a role that could hamper the experience for others. This especially, in a vacuum again, seems like perfect roles for small children who would excel at the “Simon Says” nature of pushing the lit buttons. The big problem is that the pilot positions also exist, and by their very nature would be the most coveted, especially for younger riders. Thus, you end up with smartly-designed roles that are critically undone by another role that is more sought-after.
2. The movement, in general, seems fine? It certainly isn’t Indiana Jones, but in a small ride vehicle on a ride designed to be as all-ages as possible, the movement probably could not be more than what it is. I personally think the movement could stand to be more intense, but in general it’s probably fine.
3. One of the biggest problems of the entire experience has nothing to do with the ride itself, but the line. Think about the line for Star Tours: the first room has character (C3PO and R2D2), and activity (both fixing the Starspeeder 1000/3000 and the constantly rotating tourist ads/departure/arrival/weather board). The second room features more movement and eye catchers with the multiple droids and view window with characters walking by. Compare that to the Falcon line: the first room is incredibly lifeless, with the engine in the center occasionally doing something, and the radio occasionally spouting off some banter that doesn’t advance the ride story in any meaningful way. It definitely improves in the Hondo AA room, but goes right back to disappointing in the chess room, which is more of a sign that they should have done a Falcon walkthrough than a Falcon ride. Some of this is fixable (the hanger bay desperately needs this fixing) but it speaks to an understanding of what makes a theme park ride work. The classics like Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, all build anticipation through the queue for the upcoming ride, while only one room on Falcon does that.
4. As for the ride itself, the biggest issue is the story. Corellia just sucks, plain and simple. Stealing coaxium isn’t nearly as thrilling as Imagineers expected it to be, and on some level I kind of expect this was their first pass at a workable story to have something ready for opening. As I’ve stated prior, one of the best fixes they could possibly do is change the story of the ride once RotR opens to put you in the space battle for that ride. It’s give the general public an experience closer to what they actually want (fly Falcon in space battle against Empire).

1. Not only would it be counterintuitive to have created the engineer/ gunner roles for smaller kids or passive scaredy cat non alphas but it also doesn’t account for the fact that parties are rarely going to be an exact party of 6 and more often than not your role isn’t a choice.

2. The movement is OK in Certain parts like when you crash head first or when Chewie takes control at the end but otherwise it’s pretty tame which is ok if your pilot and focused on your task otherwise it’s pretty boring. It’s the Falcon, it should be a little more intense but of course since the land only has 2 rides they made the Falcon the kiddie ride.

3. Agreed. Probably the worst queue for a modern E ticket or any E ticket for that matter.

4. I don’t think that Corellia is the biggest issue with the ride (see 66.6% of riders having an only good to meh ride experience) but I do agree that it’s just not interesting and I’m not a fan of the aesthetics. I’m looking forward to new missions but TBH I’ll still have fun with the Corellia mission for the foreseeable so long as I’m pilot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom