News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Jedi Stitch

So far from all the videos I have watched the Land is incredibly themed and is very immersive. Frankly I think some nay Sayers might just need to just enjoy the show. I want to go and it is not just in the cards for me, but man oh man, it will be a great time when I can.

TROR

So far from all the videos I have watched the Land is incredibly themed and is very immersive. Frankly I think some nay Sayers might just need to just enjoy the show. I want to go and it is not just in the cards for me, but man oh man, it will be a great time when I can.
I think I’ll enjoy RotR, but nothing in the land suits my fancy. This is coming from a Star Wars fan and a sequel defender. I even championed Star Wars land when announced. They just haven’t delivered for me.

mickEblu

I think I’ll enjoy RotR, but nothing in the land suits my fancy. This is coming from a Star Wars fan and a sequel defender. I even championed Star Wars land when announced. They just haven’t delivered for me.

Everything outside of the cantina seem to be missing that Disney touch and whimsy. I guess that’s what happens when you re basing a land on a planet at war. I think that’s the biggest reason this land belonged somewhere else. Disneyland = whimsical and romanticized versions of the past. Because the fact is that the land is well placed and I could deal with the scale issues even if not preferable.

VJ

I dunno, Smuggler's Run looks like it'd be fun to experience at least once. A repeat visit would be warranted (for me, personally) when the ride has the multiple scenarios the Imagineers promised; but, for now, one and done.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not getting the “objective” vibe from you...but I can’t put my finger on it...hmmmm😐

mandelbrot

I daily have interactions with guests who've experienced GE and while the comments are mostly positive they're not extremely positive. The consensus is that MF: SR is just okay but the details in the land are amazing. Most skip the Cantina and Savi's but many do the droid thing. If ROTR was open I think opinions would be quite different but most seem to feel there's not much to do there. The interactivity doesn't seem to be anywhere near the level that was hyped. I experienced the land myself last week and liked it but I don't need to go back until next year once ROTR opens.

Once the masses are let in, I wonder what the consensus will be. Right now the crowds are kept to a minimum and everything (except the Cantina) can be experienced if planned well. If they up the crowd level even a little bit the results could be pretty bad. The Cantina is already overwhelmed beyond all practicality. It's a bad experience for guests and cast members alike. If Disney doesn't quickly open up alcohol sales at other location inside DL it's only going to get worse.

George Lucas on a Bench

Here's a thought;

The Millennium Falcon has been averaging a 15 to 20 minute wait for the last two weeks, thanks to the very restrictive land reservation process.

At around 1,600 riders per hour, that low wait time is not because of high capacity, it's because Disneyland management won't let most of its customers even have access to the ride. Right now on the Disneyland App the 1,600 riders per hour brand new Falcon ride with a 38 inch height requirement has a 15 minute wait, while a few hundred yards away the 2,100 riders per hour and 40 year old Thunder Mountain ride with a taller 40 inch height requirement has a 50 minute wait. So, yeah... that's not a sustainable operation.

But obviously they built a Falcon ride Standby queue longer than 20 minutes, and it likely has at least 90 minutes of Standby queue space inside that facility. Plus, insiders on this board and another website have said they will be using extra queue space in the paved parking lot next door that was supposed to be used for the supper club restaurant that Chapek cut from the budget a couple years ago, dressed up with cargo containers and gauzy shade structures to hide that it's just a parking lot.

Then what? People are waiting 90 minutes to two hours for this ride. At least. Will the reviews still be coming in as modestly fun and acceptable, but the Engineer position kinda stinks? Or will people be less likely to put up with the little annoyances when they've waited two hours for this? Wait three hours in line and get assigned to be the Engineer in back?

Not to mention how an exponentially larger crowd in the land impacts the operation of the already stressed Cantina, Savi's Workshop, the various snack bars and shop stalls, etc. It could get ugly.

Or do they use their virtual queue land entry process to keep crowds artificially low inside the land through the summer and fall until they can get the Resistance ride open in October or November? Seems like a risky proposition, but they may be forced into that.

They had years to plan this all out. The reservations should have never been a thing. It should have just opened to guests. Requiring reservations for a month to me was an admission that they screwed up, not everything was ready or designed properly.

mickEblu

I daily have interactions with guests who've experienced GE and while the comments are mostly positive they're not extremely positive. The consensus is that MF: SR is just okay but the details in the land are amazing. Most skip the Cantina and Savi's but many do the droid thing. If ROTR was open I think opinions would be quite different but most seem to feel there's not much to do there. The interactivity doesn't seem to be anywhere near the level that was hyped. I experienced the land myself last week and liked it but I don't need to go back until next year once ROTR opens.

Once the masses are let in, I wonder what the consensus will be. Right now the crowds are kept to a minimum and everything (except the Cantina) can be experienced if planned well. If they up the crowd level even a little bit the results could be pretty bad. The Cantina is already overwhelmed beyond all practicality. It's a bad experience for guests and cast members alike. If Disney doesn't quickly open up alcohol sales at other location inside DL it's only going to get worse.

I wonder if they’ll get started on that sit down restaurant sooner than later. The cantina would act much better as an extension of a dinner theatre show. Chapek is a moron.

DeletedAccount55555

They had years to plan this all out. The reservations should have never been a thing. It should have just opened to guests. Requiring reservations for a month to me was an admission that they screwed up, not everything was ready or designed properly.

I don't get this way of thinking at all.

The reservation system made my time in the land SO much more enjoyable. I would never have attempted to go so early after it opened without having a reservation. Instead I flew across the country on a few weeks' notice all because I KNEW I would be able to get inside and experience nearly everything in a way that likely wouldn't be possible when it opens at WDW.

My hope would be that the hardcore fans will have gotten their chance to see it by June 23, thus relieving some chunk of pent up demand from those who have following the project for years and years. Then you can open it to the more casual visitor who's not paying attention to every little move Disney parks make and not have them competing with the real diehard crowd who had to see this first.

As for it not being "designed properly".....no theme park land is designed around how packed it's going to be on opening day or its first few months. The reservation system has everything to do with giving guests a satisfactory experience rather than just opening the floodgates and ing off nearly everyone who wanted to get in.

Travel Junkie

The new Harry Potter coaster opened in Orlando today. It was an absolute disaster. I think Disney made the right choice using reservations to ease in.

Old Mouseketeer

I’m guessing the ride system is capable of providing a little more movement too. Maybe they’re starting this thing on training wheels?

And testing it out. They ran their simulator in a non-descript warehouse somewhere and dumbed it down based on test groups. But that doesn't mean they can't add more missions and more complexity. Hell, I'd be fine if they divided it into beginner and advanced sides. They have a lot of options. I think some people are being too limited in their thinking. MF:SR is here for the long haul. Star Tours has become one of the most flexible attractions in Disney Parks (other than abandoned 3-D theaters).

As a first-time rider, I thought the ride was about as complex as it could be. I know people who say they enjoy it more every time they ride it. We'll see how this plays out after more of the naysayers actually ride it for themselves IRL.

britain

Justin Scarred again - Yes, some of you might find him to be over-enthusiastic, but this video in particular I think demonstrates the right attitude in which to ride the Falcon (especially since this one has a kid pilot that won't ever pull up): Get into the "What's going on!? We're all gonna die! What's that flashing!?" vibe.

You know, play along, have fun. :)

Last edited:

britain

i would demand a re ride without that idiot

TROR

Justin Scarred again - Yes, some of you might find him to be over-enthusiastic, but this video in particular I think demonstrates the right attitude in which to ride the Falcon (especially since this one has a kid pilot that won't ever pull up): Get into the "What's going on!? We're all gonna die! What's that flashing!?" vibe.

You know, play along, have fun. :)

Except I don’t find role playing fun because I’m an adult.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom