News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Kiwiduck

I've been trying to watch these lightsaber-building videos, but that opening speech by the cast members... yeesh!

EDIT: And that final speech... ugh, sorry cast members. I appreciate what you're trying to do. But the 'dramatic' acting isn't good enough.
I have watched these as well as it is one thing I know I'll never do and also thought the acting was cringey. I think this would have been great with an animatronic alien giving the spiel with human assistants to help with putting the sabres together.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

So I finally experienced Galaxy's Edge today and I wanted to share what it was like and maybe provide some helpful information.

It is by far the most impressive and immersive theme park experience Disney has ever created so kudos to Disney for bringing Star Wars to life. The land definitely felt First-Order heavy since Rise of the Resistance isn't operational yet but I think the land will feel more balanced once completed.

Our reservation time was 8am so it was the first group of the day. We were around the middle of our reservation group when we were herded into the land but even then the line for Oga's Cantina was back to the entrance of the land and growing fast. We agreed it wasn't worth it and decided to walk around the spectacular land and take in the scenery.

There were no limitations on how many times we were allowed to ride SR unlike what people were reporting this past weekend. We rode it twice, once waiting 30 minutes, and once 15 minutes. Good ride, but definitely not meant to be the headliner of GE. Can't wait for RoTR.

We walked by the Cantina after about 45 minutes in the land and saw the line was much shorter. We found CM's using tablets taking names for a virtual queue for Oga's so we signed up. They said we'd get probably get a text after about two hours but there was no guarantee. We did get the text, checked back in and waited about five minutes to enter the Cantina.

You are assigned a place to stand at high top table or the bar top and you have to stay put. There are some booths where some get sat but you're sitting with a bunch of strangers. They pack the place and it very much feels like a bar/nightclub only with LOTS of kids. It's odd. We got placed at a narrow standing table near Rex which was neat, Drinks were just okay. Beautiful place. Cool music. Uncomfortably packed. We only stayed about half an hour.

We didn't build lightsabers or droids and we didn't eat anything but we did explore every inch of the land and enjoyed the sights and sounds and people watching. The stormtroopers walking around interacting with guests were very entertaining and definitely a highlight. We also saw Chewie and Rey milling about and interacting.

Overall the place is breathtaking. The sound design is incredible, adding to the immersion. The reservation groups seem to be small enough to allow everyone to enjoy the land which never feels overly crowded. I would bet even after the reservation system ends, they will cap capacity to make the land always bearable. I hope so anyway.
We not buying it Bob. We know it's you.

The Grand Inquisitor

We not buying it Bob. We know it's you.
"We Not buying it Bob"

SSG

I agree that the Gatherers at Savi's need to be better actors. The first video I watched of a saber build was painful to get through, and the others haven't been much better. It's like they just assigned random CMs to do this instead of getting in performers. It looks really bad compared to the wand ceremony at Potter land.

Professortango1

I agree that the Gatherers at Savi's need to be better actors. The first video I watched of a saber build was painful to get through, and the others haven't been much better. It's like they just assigned random CMs to do this instead of getting in performers. It looks really bad compared to the wand ceremony at Potter land.
The land as a whole doesn't compare to Diagon Alley and the work Universal did with all of the elements of that land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like more changes are coming for Oga's/Savi's reservations.

Southern California News Group said:
Disneyland plans to institute a permanent reservation system for Oga’s Cantina and Savi’s Workshop that is similar to the theme park’s Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

So, there's going to be glitter all over the light sabers?

wityblack

I saw a while back there was a casting call for Florida's, is it possible they trained attractions cast members to do Savi's here in California? Kind of like how regular attraction cast members are trained for the spiel at Jungle Cruise? Disney did list it as an "attraction," and I assume it is run similar to the Tiki Room, which also has an attractions CM.

wityblack

I finally went to the land, here's my probably too long review. I'll try to answer some confusions in it too. Each paragraph is labeled on what I talk about in case you want to read only some of it.

Entry into Land and Oga's Cantina:
I technically went twice (sue me), yesterday at 8 am, and today at 8 am. I went as a guest on my parent's reservation yesterday, and today went as the primary guest. We entered the land yesterday at 8:00 am, near the front, and immediately got in line for Oga's. I wouldn't recommend doing that, instead get on the waitlist within the first hour in the land. We were part of the first group of people to go in, but we were towards the end of the capacity, and they let people in slowly, so it ate up about 35 minutes just to get inside. They probably didn't want to overwhelm the barstaff, so they filled it a group at a time. When we got in, we shared a standing table with a group of four. It's pretty random if you get a seat at a booth, standing table, or bar, and you'll most likely be seated with other groups. The atmosphere was really neat. There were lights built into the tables, and they would kind of dance with the music, fading on and off in different patterns. DJ Rex was really cool too, and the contraption they had behind the bar with different creatures and fluids totally fit in. I didn't like the drink, the Bloody Rancor, but that's probably because I don't like Bloody Marys. I also kind of a picky eater/drinker. We got out of the Cantina about an hour in to our reservation.

Journey for Food:
At this point we had only seen a tiny stretch of the land, so finally seeing the Millennium Falcon was incredible. Everything was highly detailed and meticulous, and it really felt like you were on a planet from Star Wars. We decided not to do Smugglers Run, the line was long, and we knew it would die down later. I recommend doing this as well, but don't wait until the last hour, because the other group joins. We were all hungry, so we checked out Ronto Roasters and then Docking Bay Food and Cargo 7. Nothing looked appetizing to me, as it was all very exotic, and I'm a picky eater as I mentioned earlier. I needed something to eat, so I checked the popcorn, but they only have the special popcorn which is sweet and spicy, and I can't take spicy so I didn't get it. They told me I couldn't re-enter the land, so I had to eat in Galaxy's Edge. I eventually found Nuna Turkey Jerky at Ronto Roasters, and it tasted fine, but was much harder than most jerky, so it wasn't an enjoyable eating experience. They do have kids meals I believe, so it may be easier to find something for children to eat, but if your palette isn't diverse, you may want to eat before you go into the land.

Shopping:
We looked around the shops for a bit, which were all excellently themed. There are so many little things to observe. There are multiple creatures with features at the creature stall, a tiny animatronic Sarlacc pit and two other creatures in Dok-Ondar's plus the really neat Dok-Ondar animatronic, an animated BB and R2 unit in the Droid Depot, and so much more. One tip I would give is always look up, and always look down. There's incredible theming in the ceilings and up on high shelves, and intricate hangings everywhere. We didn't have to wait to get in any shop, although there was a wait to build a droid and build a lightsaber. I've seen Dok-Ondar have a long line. My one complaint is how small all the shops are. They didn't have a ton of space, but looking at how tiny they are and the lines that are already forming, I can't imagine how bad it will be on opening day. Someone said that Diagon Alley is better than Galaxy's Edge, and when it comes to size of retail space, I'll agree. It baffles me why they wouldn't at least expand the shops for Florida, where they have space, although my bias for Disneyland makes me happy that they won't. They really should've designed two planets, Batuu for Disneyland, and something with a different vibe for Disney World. Tangent aside, everything visual is breathtaking. We were about two hours in and the line for Millennium Falcon dipped to 25.

Smuggler's Run Queue:
We got in line, and the queue is incredible. Not counting Rise of the Resistance, it's easily the second best queue in the park. People we lined up about halfway through the workshop area. The extended queue is incredibly themed even though we didn't go in it. You'll get to be even closer to the backside of the Falcon when all queue is utilized. After going by the backside of the falcon, which was stunning, we entered the workshop, and it smelled of oil. It felt like you were walking in on a workday, they were working some giant engine lifted to the second level in the middle of the room. There's an unfinished card game with betting tokens, and tons of droid related stuff. It almost feels like the boiler room in Guardians in a weird way, but much better. We went over the Falcon, which was jaw-dropping, and then went into the preshow room. The Hondo animatronic is so fluid, and it does show the Falcon departing from the pad and into the building on a little map that looks like the map in the Datapad app. One of my favorite touches was when the Falcon is seen behind Hondo on a screen, the blue light from the engines actually lit up the area next to Hondo blue. It felt very natural, but it was something they totally didn't need to do. The rest of the queue was great too.

Smuggler's Run Ride Experience:
Now, my thoughts on the ride. I rode it seven times between the two days. Wait times were consistently short, which was a blessing we'll never see again once Fastpass is implemented and it becomes public. I wouldn't wait two hours to go on it again (unless they had new missions), but it was absolutely worth more than the 15 or less minutes I waited each time. I was pilot four times, twice on the left and twice on the right, gunner twice, and engineer once. I'd say pilot is by far the best position. Not only are your controls in front of you and not to the side, you actually get to control how the ride moves, which I think is incredible. You're also closest to the front. It's hilarious to me that the only ride scenario is based on Solo, since it bombed and no one cares about it. If Disney is smart, they'll work in new scenarios like Star Tours based on planets from the trilogies. I remember concept art of the Falcon going through the Kessel Run, which was also in Solo, so I wouldn't be surprised if the two other missions are from Solo. I overheard one Smuggler's Run CM saying something about Mustafar, but I didn't get context, so maybe it's one of the destinations, or maybe it's nothing. Your ride experience will vary greatly depending on who's in your cockpit. I only got all adults the last time I rode it, and we all were experienced, so that was the only time we did decent. We barely hit anything, up until the very end, and we got a pretty high score too. If you have a good rapport with the people in your cockpit, you'll have a fun time. Sometimes you go through an asteroid field, I think it has to do with how long it takes for CMs to load people. I went through it a few times, and it was a little different each time. The first time we went through a hole in one of the asteroids, but I never saw that asteroid again. You can kinda tell where the video clips if it decides to skip the asteroid field. All of the positions were fun, and you definitely improve the more you go on it. There's a certain finesse to piloting it, you move the levers softly and controlled to do well, not all the way in any direction. The reaction time was incredibly impressive when it came to controls, especially with real-time graphics and real time motion. The ride is really fun, and incredibly satisfying once you get the hang of it, but it can also be really annoying if you have terrible pilots, or tiny children in the positions, especially when you want to do well. Try to get into a party without small children if you can. The exit varied depending on which cockpit turntable you went on. Sometimes the walk to the exit is really long, sometimes it's really short, kind of like Tower of Terror. There is a variety of theming in the exits, one of them you pass by an imprint of a Rathtar, but they eventually all join together. Very very impressed with the theming in this ride.

Datapad:
We got some blue milk, which I did not like, and walked around a bit more before we left. It got considerably busier when they let the second group in. I didn't really use the app, but the app also didn't reward me with my score from Millennium Falcon any of the times I rode it, while most of my cockpit-mates got it. The app is kinda fun, but is probably more worth it when lines are longer. I didn't do the turf capture game. One thing that as really disappointing on the app was the translate feature. I was under the impression that you could scan things, but you have to enter them manually from a keyboard with a lot of similar symbols. It took me five minutes to translate "Warning: Rendering Fat," which was not worth the effort. I can only see this being sort of fun when if you're stuck in a long line. I'm still not sold on the whole datapad experience. We left the land around 3:45 into our reservation.

Notes on Lighting and Sound:
Two of my favorite elements of the land were the lighting design and the sound design. The sound design was absolutely miles ahead of anything else in the two parks. Many things make noise throughout the land, giants fans near the exit of Millennium Falcon make a whirring noise, generators have sound coming within them, there was ambience everywhere with sounds of droids and music and other noises. The ships on the ground made noises, and sound would pan around the land sounding like a spaceship taking off or flying overhead. I caught myself looking up into the sky multiple times expecting to see something. The lighting design was impeccable. Not only was it well hidden, and every fixture beautiful, but everything felt perfectly lit. Light is used in Ronto's Roasters to simulate heat, and from what I've seen online, the land looks gorgeous at night (although I'm not sold on the blue rocks yet.)

Note on Rockwork:
Lastly, to end this lengthy review, the rockwork was incredible. It was meticulously created to match awesome petrified trees centuries old. The larger overhead rocks have a clear siltline, and you can see where roots used to be. A desert rose is formed on another. The colors are gorgeous, yet believable, and there is a cut open petrified root in the land that looks like you're staring down the center of a petrified trunk. The aging of the land and the rockwork was done incredibly.

To quantify it it from 0-10: Theming: 10, Food and Drink: 4, Merchandise: 9, Smugglers Run: 9, Lighting: 10, Sound: 10, Layout: 7.5

Last edited:

drod1985

Great review!

the contraption they had behind the bar with different creatures and fluids totally fit in.

One fun thing about Oga's is those contraptions - they're a version of the original props from the Tatooine Cantina in ANH. That same prop was later reused as IG-88's head.

proxy

To quantify it it from 0-10: Theming: 10, Food and Drink: 4, Merchandise: 9, Smugglers Run: 9, Lighting: 10, Sound: 10, Layout: 7.5

It's a good thing that the easiest thing to fix - the food/drink - is what tanked your average rating. 9.6 when you don't consider food/drink. The land definitely lacks options for picky eaters.

Ismael Flores

I know some people made more than one reservation, where they were main member for one slot and a party member for another. Has that worked for people? Any problems?

It seems like it has because several bloggers have videos of them going at different time slots with different people.

Professortango1

Just curious, but are there any elements of Galaxy's Edge you think are better than Diagon Alley?

I think having 2 attractions will eventually trump Diagon's 1, even if I currently think Gringotts is better than Smuggler's Run.
I like the animals for sale with GE and the AA alien in the shop is amazing. I think the details of the buildings is about a wash and Daigon wins with shops, experiences, explorability, and entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom