News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Old Mouseketeer

You have no idea how critical I can be of Disney, but I really don't care. I should have blocked you and Grumpyhaunt days ago. I have a long list of bone-headed things that Disney has done over the past 50 years that I have been following Disneyland. Some of the worst came about from the bean counters interfering or decisions made purely based on profit. But there has also been some outright bad design. My review of SW:GE is based on what was built (and what was possible), not what might have been. Now I'll say bye-bye. And have a magical day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawg G

Opening day (to the public) streaming

A couple opinions

It seems like you could have snuck through without a wristband fairly easily. I assume Everyone Is checking, but you could have been in the official first hoard to the land and walk around a good bit before being booted.

It just isn't Star Wars. This is the first video I've watched walking though. The land just isn't Star Wars. Not in the least bit. It has some space ships from Star Wars, but the land has a slight Naboo feel, but I don't want to visit Naboo. Out of all the amazing locations in he movies, and Tatooine being the beyond obvious choice, I stand by my opinion that this is a generic themed area, not really even space themed, with space ships around it, some from the Star Wars movies.

Hawg G

It seemed that Savi’s, Cantina, and MFSR were the things with immediate lines, marketplace, Dok’s, and food was more or less empty.
I’m going to guess they’re testing crowds during reservation period and that will inform how the virtual queue will work later.

If this holds, then Disney really screwed the fans by opening a land with with a very limited crowd level. SR having only a 60 minute wait on opening day is a slap in the face to all the Star Wars fans in the park, staying at the DL or GC hotel, and being told they can't visit because the area is full.

I wonder if hotel guests will get surprise passes soon.

Hawg G

And now it’s down to 30 minutes. This is good. I wonder if this will be the same as the CM previews, where the wait for smugglers run will be a walk-on as the end of the 4 hr window approaches.

My plan is to head to Ogas cantina first since the majority of people head to the ride as soon as they enter the land.

I wonder why they don’t include the wait times for the cantina and lightsaber workshop on the app?

Edit - 25 min now! Can they just make the reservation system permanent? :)

There aren't distinct 4 hour windows are there, I thought they overlapped as FP times do.

Hawg G

Yup!

Yeah, reports seem to be that the reservation capacity is super manageable. Great news for all, I hope everybody enjoys their time in Batuu!

It's great news for those that got in. Horrible news for al the other people who could have been let in to the land. I mean, it seems they could have DOUBLED the people, and the land would basically be June in Disneyland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If this holds, then Disney really screwed the fans by opening a land with with a very limited crowd level. SR having only a 60 minute wait on opening day is a slap in the face to all the Star Wars fans in the park, staying at the DL or GC hotel, and being told they can't visit because the area is full.

This makes no sense. If the ride runs continuously and always has a wait then the same number of people would have ridden the ride no matter how long the standby line is. I haven’t seen anyone post that the ride was running with empty seats. Nobody is getting screwed. They seem to be managing the crowds quite well and allowing everyone who does get in a chance to look around without crushing crowds and potentially unsafe conditions.

The only people getting screwed by this system are the people rooting for the land to fail and rooting for bad reviews from angry fans who got stuck in hours long lines and massive crowds.

DeletedAccount55555

Crowds across the parks appear to be very light right now. That may change as the day goes on especially with grad night folks showing up (my daughter is on a bus headed down now) and general afternoon Friday crowds. I just did see a short video review by Len Testa and he loved the land but didn’t think the ride was very good.

Where's that Len video? I trust Len to be fair but in no way a Disney homer, so I'm interested in what his take will be.

If they're staying at one of those hotels, they have their reservation time at some point during their stay. I'm going on the 8th, and I'd much rather have a guaranteed, 4-hour time slot with a comfortable crowd level than a free-for-all.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There aren't distinct 4 hour windows are there, I thought they overlapped as FP times do.
For someone who sure has a lot of opinions about a place they haven't experienced you sure don't know much about it.

Disney Hotel guests received a reservation automatically.

And yes there are distinct 4 hour windows.

Janir

Land looks sick but not too epic in scale to make it feel inappropriate for Disneyland, that’s good. Falcon looks like a fun time but maybe would be annoying to wait 3 hours for something pretty modest. If Rise is really the E ticket to end all E tickets, the whole place makes a lot of sense to me.
Its going to be annoying for waiting 3 hours to ride Smuggler's Run then have only 1 hour left in the area and spend a hour just trying to get into the Cantina or any shop experience.

EDIT: Seems the people management is paying off as SR is listing a 45 minute wait per the DLR app.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

You really don't understand how queueing works, do you? If the line has a consistent wait, whether that wait is 60 minutes or 3 hours, the same amount of guests are riding the ride. They aren't running it with empty seats. You don't seem to be understanding the purpose of controlled access. Disney didn't want the ride to have 3 hour waits, that's why they did the reservation system.

Hotel guests were given automatic reservations. What's your next baseless complaint we can shut down for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

SMLR

Does anyone have any pics or descriptions of what the resistance side of the land looks and feels like? Much of what I’ve seen have mainly been from the village, so I wonder how it compares.

Stevek

Where's that Len video? I trust Len to be fair but in no way a Disney homer, so I'm interested in what his take will be.

If they're staying at one of those hotels, they have their reservation time at some point during their stay. I'm going on the 8th, and I'd much rather have a guaranteed, 4-hour time slot with a comfortable crowd level than a free-for-all.
Twitter.

dennis-in-ct

A couple opinions

It seems like you could have snuck through without a wristband fairly easily. I assume Everyone Is checking, but you could have been in the official first hoard to the land and walk around a good bit before being booted.

It just isn't Star Wars. This is the first video I've watched walking though. The land just isn't Star Wars. Not in the least bit. It has some space ships from Star Wars, but the land has a slight Naboo feel, but I don't want to visit Naboo. Out of all the amazing locations in he movies, and Tatooine being the beyond obvious choice, I stand by my opinion that this is a generic themed area, not really even space themed, with space ships around it, some from the Star Wars movies.

It almost has an animal kingdom (Harambe Villages in Africa) vibe to the land combines with the Epcot Moroccan pavilion

Not that it is bad - just an observation from the online videos and photos I have seen.

FRD714

Does anyone have any pics or descriptions of what the resistance side of the land looks and feels like? Much of what I’ve seen have mainly been from the village, so I wonder how it compares.
There isn't much to see besides an X-Wing and an A-Wing from th videos I have seen. Chewie and Rey can some times be seen walking around and interacting with things though in that area.

Rista1313

I'll repeat the question I posted the other day that no one answered.

How is the jerkiness of the flight for someone with a bad back, and are they allowing DAS passes at this time?

The Mur

I understand that you are limited to one ride on the Falcon in the first hour of your reservation period and they are marking the wristbands. After that no restrictions. They want to make sure that everyone has a chance to ride at least once.

fctiger

View attachment 378124
Well this doesn't look very bad. This is actually 40 minutes lower than what it was 1 hour earlier.

Its crazy that was the time when I first clicked on this morning and was so happy to see. So they aren't packing people in like sardines as some feared. Its great my first experience in the land is going to be pretty manageable (outside of trying to see the Cantina it seems). And the first day it looks like the entire resort is pretty calm and civil. I'm guessing just the thought of this thing opening today probably scared a lot of people away but its also probably the reservation system that is really keeping things calm.

Have to hand it to Disney, they really figured this out. Its still early I know but if the first day goes this well, I imagine the rest of the month will be a breeze.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom