News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

sponono88

hmm, the video on the screen looks a little video game like to me...

To me it seemed about the same quality as Star Tours as far as projections go when I rode it.. just my opinion, I don't know anything about how it compares technically to star tours. So if you think star tours looks like a video game then you'll probably feel the same about smuggler's run.

Also, I think this is one of those rides that won't be captured well on video. The interactivity is a big component of what makes the ride, and that's something you can't experience on a video.

Surferboy567

Just wanted to add my experience for consumption and my 2 cents

DO EVERYTHING, if you are a star wars fan my recommendation is to do everything.

Droid building:
I was not super keen on building a droid and I was going to buy DJ-R3X instead (I didnt but when I go back I will) but it was easily one of my favorite things. The experience of doing it and watching him come to life was fantastic, you can also buy a backpack that your droid will fit in rather then the box they give you which I did and was worth every penny to me. Something about the droid no ones seems to have mentioned unless I missed it, the droids interact with each other as well as with the land as you walk through it. The personality chips are designed to interact more in certain parts of the lands as well.

Savi's Workshop:
By far my favorite experience, and it is an experience itself. Waiting in line they show you the pieces you will be using since you have to make a selection on what group of parts you wish to use when you build. You pay before going into the queue and wait about 15 minutes as each set is about that time length. Going into the shop you stand at almost something like a round table where about 15 builders build their sabers. A CM will then tell you about sabers and some history about them as well. I can't stress this enough, as a fan getting to chose my kyber crystal and build my saber was fantastic to me and worth every penny. The materials themselves are heavy and feel like metal my only issue with them is the accents don't all feel as nice as the legacy sabers, but that's really more of a nitpick than anything.

Dok Ondar's:
Speaking of legacy sabers they are sold at Dok Ondar's and there is a line for them I waited about 15 minutes to buy mine. They have a large assortment of different sabers from the movies and tv shows. Some feel better and look better than others, so my advice would be to chose the one you feel is of quality to you. Also something to keep in mind the hilt is the hilt by itself, you can purchase a blade and kyber crystal with it as well if you chose, but the blade from savi's is not the same for the legacy sabers. As far as the shop goes its a fantastic shop, the Dok Ondar animatronic is great, as far as interacting with him I'm not sure they were allowing that yet as I didn't and didn't see anyone else.

Smugglers Run:
I personally didn't ride it as I can have issues with small spaces and the cockpit is quite small in my opinion, my wife however did ride it and she enjoyed it not being a star wars fan. The queue itself is thoroughly detailed and the waiting area before getting on the ride is truly amazing. The Hondo Onaka animatronic is also great.

Overall I felt transported to star wars, everything that did truly does make it feel that way in my opinion. Even the way the doors open to the little sounds you hear walking through the land and I can't wait to go back on the 31'st. If anyone has any other specific questions I will try my best to answer

Have to ask, I’ve heard the sabers HILT alone is like 2-3 pounds on its own does it really feel that substantial, I’m so excited to do it in January. Could you also provide more details on the experience itself as well as building droids. We know frank oz is apparently in Savi’s in some form or another.

Another thing: How are the droids? Do they feel as premium as the sabers? Wanted to build a BB-Model but wanted to see if it was worth.

Huge Star Wars fan...will be buying a holocron also eyeing the Jedi Temple Guard Blade, plus Ashoka better start saving now.

EDIT: Really want a white and golden crystal for my custom blade. Did they look like they had plenty? How much did they go for at Doc’s? Was $13 true?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"Worth every penny."
Dude, you are Disney's dream customer. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. My goal is to enter and exit SWGE and enjoy as much as I can without spending a dime, but I don't mean that as a knock at SW fans; there are non-Disney-owned properties that I'm sure could empty my wallet if they ever became a theme park land. :)
I predict this is you in SW:GE -

ImmensePrestigiousAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

Surferboy567

1. Yes the custom hilts feel substantial, compared to the legacy saber I bought it is noticeablely heavier. I don't want to spoil to much about the experience itself because I think it's best not knowing what happens once inside Savi's, but to add there are some neat effects that go along with the presentation that are subtle but definitely neat. Also you can only get the lightsaber sheath from Savi's

2. Building a Droid is too much fun. You walk up and purchase either an R unit or a BB unit. My wife and I both chose R units. After that they give you a basket and there's a conveyor belt of sorts and you pick your parts out as they go by, lots of options to choose from for both units. After selecting your parts you go to the building area where you then build your Droid, after your done building a cm will come over and activate your Droid and he or she comes to life. I don't think the quality is bad it's definitely not as premium as the sabers but they are also half the price. When they talk lights go off and head will move but as far as feel not as premium but still nice.

3. They seem to have a lot of stock for everything, as far as gold and white kyber crystals I don't think they had them yet but didn't look either. I'm not sure on pricing because I didn't purchase a kyber crystal for my legacy saber or a blade I just wanted the hilt for display purposes

Gotcha, thanks for the quick answers I’ll definitely budget accordingly...so excited for Savi’s and really all these microexperiences!

Surferboy567

1. Yes the custom hilts feel substantial, compared to the legacy saber I bought it is noticeablely heavier. I don't want to spoil to much about the experience itself because I think it's best not knowing what happens once inside Savi's, but to add there are some neat effects that go along with the presentation that are subtle but definitely neat. Also you can only get the lightsaber sheath from Savi's

2. Building a Droid is too much fun. You walk up and purchase either an R unit or a BB unit. My wife and I both chose R units. After that they give you a basket and there's a conveyor belt of sorts and you pick your parts out as they go by, lots of options to choose from for both units. After selecting your parts you go to the building area where you then build your Droid, after your done building a cm will come over and activate your Droid and he or she comes to life. I don't think the quality is bad it's definitely not as premium as the sabers but they are also half the price. When they talk lights go off and head will move but as far as feel not as premium but still nice.

3. They seem to have a lot of stock for everything, as far as gold and white kyber crystals I don't think they had them yet but didn't look either. I'm not sure on pricing because I didn't purchase a kyber crystal for my legacy saber or a blade I just wanted the hilt for display purposes

One more question did they seem to have lots of legacy sabers? Hoping they don’t sell/ rotate out by the time I get there. Thanks for answering them all!

BigRed98

I’m not interested in building a lightsaber but I want to see others build there own and see the show elements, am I able to or is it a private room?

mickEblu

Just wanted to add my experience for consumption and my 2 cents

DO EVERYTHING, if you are a star wars fan my recommendation is to do everything.

Droid building:
I was not super keen on building a droid and I was going to buy DJ-R3X instead (I didnt but when I go back I will) but it was easily one of my favorite things. The experience of doing it and watching him come to life was fantastic, you can also buy a backpack that your droid will fit in rather then the box they give you which I did and was worth every penny to me. Something about the droid no ones seems to have mentioned unless I missed it, the droids interact with each other as well as with the land as you walk through it. The personality chips are designed to interact more in certain parts of the lands as well.

Savi's Workshop:
By far my favorite experience, and it is an experience itself. Waiting in line they show you the pieces you will be using since you have to make a selection on what group of parts you wish to use when you build. You pay before going into the queue and wait about 15 minutes as each set is about that time length. Going into the shop you stand at almost something like a round table where about 15 builders build their sabers. A CM will then tell you about sabers and some history about them as well. I can't stress this enough, as a fan getting to chose my kyber crystal and build my saber was fantastic to me and worth every penny. The materials themselves are heavy and feel like metal my only issue with them is the accents don't all feel as nice as the legacy sabers, but that's really more of a nitpick than anything.

Dok Ondar's:
Speaking of legacy sabers they are sold at Dok Ondar's and there is a line for them I waited about 15 minutes to buy mine. They have a large assortment of different sabers from the movies and tv shows. Some feel better and look better than others, so my advice would be to chose the one you feel is of quality to you. Also something to keep in mind the hilt is the hilt by itself, you can purchase a blade and kyber crystal with it as well if you chose, but the blade from savi's is not the same for the legacy sabers. As far as the shop goes its a fantastic shop, the Dok Ondar animatronic is great, as far as interacting with him I'm not sure they were allowing that yet as I didn't and didn't see anyone else.

Smugglers Run:
I personally didn't ride it as I can have issues with small spaces and the cockpit is quite small in my opinion, my wife however did ride it and she enjoyed it not being a star wars fan. The queue itself is thoroughly detailed and the waiting area before getting on the ride is truly amazing. The Hondo Onaka animatronic is also great.

Overall I felt transported to star wars, everything that did truly does make it feel that way in my opinion. Even the way the doors open to the little sounds you hear walking through the land and I can't wait to go back on the 31'st. If anyone has any other specific questions I will try my best to answer

Does the Rex droid talk and is it Pee Wee Herman’s voice?

Rich T

Yep, but this was in reference to my friend Rich who say he will be trying to get in and out of the land without spending a dime. And I'm predicting that won't happen. ;)
Like I said before, no Dex's Diner set, no spendee. Tell you what, when I do go, if I (being a non-fan-of-any-SW-after-1980) buy anything I will happily post a photo here and eat a big dish of crow. (It doesn't taste so bad now that I'm used to it!) :D

The Grand Inquisitor

I believe you said you were going in January so I can't say by January of some will or won't be there but they had about 8-10 different legacy sabers and seemed to have plenty in stock. Granted this was a relatively small crowd compared to when it opens but I don't think you'll have an issue getting the sabers you want
I have a question what is the backstory for smugglers run? Do any other characters besides hondo show up in the preshow or ride? is there a type of storm trooper show in the land or other character interactions ?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Like I said before, no Dex's Diner set, no spendee. Tell you what, when I do go, if I (being a non-fan-of-any-SW-after-1980) buy anything I will happily post a photo here and eat a big dish of crow. (It doesn't taste so bad now that I'm used to it!) :D
Oh, frick. Sold. That's not fair! That's one of the best bits of DL ride merchandise ever!!!
Told you.... 😂😂😂:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom